New 110W Sat is a Problem

dbajaer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
We Americans living in Mexico have over the years always tried to be able to watch American T.V. Two years ago, DTV put up a new bird and it had a much better focus and it excluded Mexico. Probably thousands of subscribers to DTV gave up and switched to Dish! Dish has been boasting that they got over 70,000 new sub's this past year, guess where they came from? Now there is a new Dish Sat at 110 and we in Baja have lost the HD Channels and others like the military channel etc. The coverage map shows it does just miss us and instead covers a vacant area of ocean just off the West Coast of Baja. We all pay the normal dish subscriptions and have addresses in the USA that we use for billing, we just want to stay connected to our America. Its a real shame that we step children must suffer, it would be so easy for Dish to just tweak the coverage just a tiny bit and we could use larger antennas etc and still feel connected...
Dish will never know the effect of this small change, and when they replace 119 all of us will have to change to Canada's Star Choice. The shame of it all is I can not ever reach anyone at Dish that cares....or has the power to make a small adjustment to the new Sat focus so we can remain as Dish Subscribers...I know Dish can not sell service out of the USA, but, we have been paying for a long time.....Does anyone know of a contact that could reach those in charge that could effect a change to the coverage? We don't ask for much, we pay good, and just want to be connected....LOST IN BAJA....

It doesn't really matter who you reach, because dish could never legally make that change. Dish networks licenses (both for DBS Broadcast, as well as their agreements with channel providers) do not allow dish network to broadcast to Mexico. Not to mention the fact that for every paid subscriber who really lives in Mexico, there are probably 40 people with hacked boxes in Mexico receiving the programming illegally.

Dish is starting a service in Mexico from 77 West using the same satellite that was just replaced at 110.

PS I have not heard of any plans to replace the satellite at 119.

Dear dbajaer
It seems that you will be able to reach sat 110 from Baja but you will need a much bigger dish. What size were you using ? probably a 1.20m or 1.80m ?
Also you talk about The coverage map shows it does just miss you at Baja, may I ask were did you see that ? because as far as I know the 61.5 sat is allways been out of the coverage map for baja however you can get it with bigger dishes. So this time SIZE I guess matters my friend.
One more thing you can do is get connected to each and everyone of the satellites, dish has several 110 is not the end of the world.

Thanks for the input and help! The 110 footprint is from another thread
I can not post it.

I have an 8 foot dish, its been put away until hurricane season is past, and will see what I can receive with it in early October. We would be so happy if Dish started using the old 110 to start a service we can purchase in Mexico! Direct did that and finally gave it up, not enough English and not enough Spanish, hard to make everyone happy, sub titles with the translation are not that great. Sky has a few channels in English, better to go online and read the news from Google. Glad that 119 is safe for the time being, we get the bulk of channels from that bird and its only very few like to have it all and do multiple antennas, I gave up on 129 as its too unstable here, signal is great and then the signal fads to nada, the satellite must be moving around a bit.....Thanks again and back to fishing...

Thanks for the input and help! The 110 footprint is from another thread
I can not post it.

I have an 8 foot dish, its been put away until hurricane season is past, and will see what I can receive with it in early October. We would be so happy if Dish started using the old 110 to start a service we can purchase in Mexico! Direct did that and finally gave it up, not enough English and not enough Spanish, hard to make everyone happy, sub titles with the translation are not that great. Sky has a few channels in English, better to go online and read the news from Google. Glad that 119 is safe for the time being, we get the bulk of channels from that bird and its only very few like to have it all and do multiple antennas, I gave up on 129 as its too unstable here, signal is great and then the signal fads to nada, the satellite must be moving around a bit.....Thanks again and back to fishing...

The bird at 129 has a bad wobble. But it's replacement is imminent.

Unless the Briz-M has another failure when CEIL-2 is launched.

I have an 8 foot dish, its been put away until hurricane season is past, and will see what I can receive with it in early October

I have an 8 foot dish in Costa Rica and other than low readings on TP 3,15 (which would never lock before the new bird) and 7, I get 110o.

Near Guadalajara, Mexico we lost most of the TPs on 110 about a week ago coinciding with E11 going live. The 5 or so we have left are showing strength in the 60's and quality of 99. The strength is the same for the other Conus TPs but the signal is zero.

The local people are waiting to see if there are any further repositioning before they start making adjustments to dishes, most of which are 1.0 - 2.0 meters. They're not sure if it's an alignment issue or if we're just outside the footprint.

With great strength on 5TPs it doesn't seem like it could be a footprint problem, but who knows. Right now we can only see TPs 1 8 9 16 and 24.

Replacing 110 with 129 does nothing except get you the programming on 129. 129 does NOT have the same programming as 110. There is HD programming on both but it is distinct to each satellite and the sd programming on 110 is Not on 129.

unless you want HD then 119 & 129 would be the way to do it. But if you want other programming like Spanish or AT250 then you need 119 & 110

maybe you should read and maybe not bump an ancient thread next time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts