New 118.7 Information

what are the chances that the prov ri locals go to 118 instead of 61.5? it would be so much nicer to have one dish.

Well Scott did say "5 areas where Dish is planning on offering LIL HD services from 118.7.". So maybe they will be in the new england state areas where the Dish 1000 does not work. RI might be one of those I guess we will know more in June.

Now, being in michigan and to my understanding. Regardless of what type of dish you have, (ie. 500, or 1000, etc.) in the end it is going to a 3 head system. Similar to D*. Capturing 110/119 and now 118. I guess this would be the best possible way to go, logically. Then you have 61.5 seperate. That is if it stays this way....

Scott Greczkowski said:
118.7 This new Satellite will host internationals HD LIL's

I did a double take and huh?!?!?!?! when I read this in post #1

I would suggest you edit to read internationals AND HD-LIL's or internationals and (5) HD LIL's

I guess this is why they will have the kit to change out superdish 121 LNB's to support the 118 slot. That way the international customers with a SD121 can use the new slot. Also this is probally why 118 is appearing in SD only receivers, since Internatinoals will be on 118.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Here are the 5 HD LIL's which are scheduled to be on 118.7 Detroit, St Louis, Indianapolis, Releigh and possibly Lexington.

Whoaaa, Lexington? DMA #63? I'm shocked - very cool, if true.

Poke said:
Well maybe they put the St.Louis Locals HD on the 110 or 129 and can folks in Hawaii and Alaska can they not use a Dish 1000? If they can then they should be able to get the 129 then and from the 1000 FootPrint Map it show's them in white. Only areas that are excluded are parts of FL and most of the New England states.

A dish 1000 will not come close to working in AK. I am currently using a 1.0m antenna for 110 (w/ marginal performance), a .76m antenna for 119, and a .6m antenna for 148. I am told that even with a 1.2m antenna, 129 fades in an out up here. Our only hope for HD in AK is that the HD content at 129 is mirrored at 148 (Dish are you listening???).

6coho said:
Absolutely! However, I'm wondering how are you able to activate HD programming for just the 110 channels? I thought that all new HD programming activations had to be one of the "Metal" packages.

I still had the old HD pak that they were able to keep after I activated a 622. Tech support was able to activate the receiver and they tried like crazy to also get the programming on 129 but they couldn't bypass the computer to do it.

I was really hoping they would move everything to either 119 or 110 but it doesn.t look that way.

long_time_DNC said:
I still can't believe they're not going to do something about the 129 sat. It's pretty much unwatchable as it stands now... :(
That's what they made the new Dish 1000.2 for. They're not gonna fix the 129 slot issue, they just go bigger on the dishes.

Did I understand someone to say you can't get 129 in NE? My son has been trying to get that satellite for his 622 receiver. I found a chart suggesting Az 205 el 35 for our area code. He hasn't tried it yet. Ilee

maddawg said:
Damn, how can anyone keep up with this stuff. Dish needs to have a more cohesive plan going forward.
I know I can't keep up with it and I'm here nearly everyday.

I've made some posts here stating I want to get on the HD bandwagon, but HD locals are the key for me. I'm at the fringe of the Detroit market but OTA is nearly unwatchable.

It will be a sizeable expenditure, what with an HD TV, ditching the entertainment center for a stand, a new receiver and increased programming costs. I'll need the Silver package with Locals, no Voom and a 622.

But I can't keep track, or even make sense of what dish I need and where I need to point it. I have LOTS of trees so both azimuth and elevation can make or break this. I have a 500 on a pole at the edge of the woods now.

Most of all, I dread having to talk to Customer Service for information. The outfit that did the original install no longer deals with Dish.

ralfyguy said:
That's what they made the new Dish 1000.2 for. They're not gonna fix the 129 slot issue, they just go bigger on the dishes.
Since it's their issue with the 129 sat, I would sincerely hope that the D1000.2 doesn't cost me anything extra. Considering I'm paying for channels that are essentially unwatchable the way it is now.

sampatterson said:
I totally agree, would be best to have them at 110/119 or at least mirror them on 61.5.

lakebum431 and sampattereson,
Do you have the 622 and a dish pointing to 129 and have problems due to "low power"? Or are you reacting to the Northwest folks. I live in Tucker, have the 622 and a dish pointing to 129 (they re-pointed the 61.5 to 129 rather than putting up a Dish 1000) and I am not having any more difficulty with 129 than I do with the other sat positions.

long_time_DNC said:
Since it's their issue with the 129 sat, I would sincerely hope that the D1000.2 doesn't cost me anything extra. Considering I'm paying for channels that are essentially unwatchable the way it is now.
You don't honestly think, that if you call and complain about that, they will say: "Sure Sir, we apologize for the inconvenience, and we'll send you the new Dish 1000.2 at no charge! Do you wish to have it installed for free too?":haha :haha :haha :haha :haha

waltinvt said:
I'm not following you. For HD locals, Dish already has NY & Boston launched and Burlington, Vt and Providence, RI are in the list of 50 to be done by the end of the year. What's left in the Northeast ?

Waltinvt, My point was not that hd locals aren't here, but that they are putting them on the wing dish (at least in Boston,) along with most nat'l hd channels. I just don't think they will be able to make real inroads into the northeast until they make it possible to get this stuff on a single dish. I believe that the northeast is an area where people would be less likely to put up multiple dishes for programming, for a number of reasons, but that's the way things are set up for us.

I guess I'm just echoing (pun intended) other people's thoughts that e* seems to
be doing things haphazardly and not necessarily operating with the most efficient business plan.

Even if hd locals here were on the main dish, you still would need to get a second
dish to get the other fifteen+ national hd channels, limiting E*'s appeal in the Northeast.

I'm not really complaining. I have the old core hd package and love it, but I do see this as a flaw in their plan.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. With the new 118 satellite and by having an existing dish 500. All I would have to do is swap out the 119 lnb for an lnb with polar and linear capability and I would be set??? Am I missing something here?

ital1000 said:
Let me get this straight. With the new 118 satellite and by having an existing dish 500. All I would have to do is swap out the 119 lnb for an lnb with polar and linear capability and I would be set??? Am I missing something here?

Ku band is lower powered so you would need a larger dish to pick that up :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts