New 5 tuner Directv receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cool, but 5 tuners isn't enough for most households to be 'THE' single box. I have 5 tuners now (HD-DVR plus 3 receivers). Get a few conflicting shows set to record and its the ViP722 TV2 tuner fight all over again where war breaks out over who cancelled who's recording because they were watching something else when it attempted to change the channel.. That kind of solution looks good on paper but sucks in practice. I'd buy it in ADDITION to other boxes, as long as it supports multiple streams and the existing DECA MRV.

My question is does 5 tuners mean it would need a larger SWiM splitter even though the physical receiver count won't increase? FWIU a SWiM-8 has 8 ports but it only supports up to 8 TUNERS (ie: 2 dual tuner DVR plus 4 non-DVR) right? If I were to replace one of my non-DVRs with this, I would be at 9 tuners plus the internet DECA module.

And then what kind of monthly charge would be attached to it? Would this be a $20/mo lease/mirror?

Last edited:
5 tuners would be perfect for me. I'd love to have this come in, and replace both my HR's. One more tuner, same storage space, and everything unified in one spot.

Im curious on cost, and what it needs for an install, if anything. Be nice if it could sit where the HR24 is now, and just feed the TV in the bedroom. This might also work into Directv Nomad very well.

Cool, but 5 tuners isn't enough for most households to be 'THE' single box. I have 5 tuners now (HD-DVR plus 3 receivers). Get a few conflicting shows set to record and its the ViP722 TV2 tuner fight all over again where war breaks out over who cancelled who's recording because they were watching something else when it attempted to change the channel.. That kind of solution looks good on paper but sucks in practice. I'd buy it in ADDITION to other boxes, as long as it supports multiple streams and the existing DECA MRV.

My question is does 5 tuners mean it would need a larger SWiM splitter even though the physical receiver count won't increase? FWIU a SWiM-8 has 8 ports but it only supports up to 8 TUNERS (ie: 2 dual tuner DVR plus 4 non-DVR) right? If I were to replace one of my non-DVRs with this, I would be at 9 tuners plus the internet DECA module.

And then what kind of monthly charge would be attached to it? Would this be a $20/mo lease/mirror?
Well I'm sure more exact details will be available in 2011.

5 tuners is plenty for a single box. Thats just like a MRV system with 1 HD DVR and 3 HD receivers.
Thats more then a common setup.
This time were talking 1 box vs 4 , and 500GB vs 1TB of recording.

Also, I'm sure you can still do the same old setup if you wish.

I looks like a VERY cool unit! DIRECTV's technology has gotten AWESOME over the past 2 years.

Does it have any OTA tuners? Or are all 5 satellite tuners?

Well I'm sure more exact details will be available in 2011.

5 tuners is plenty for a single box. Thats just like a MRV system with 1 HD DVR and 3 HD receivers.
Thats more then a common setup.
This time were talking 1 box vs 4 , and 500GB vs 1TB of recording.

Also, I'm sure you can still do the same old setup if you wish.

I understand where you're coming from but according to that site, they are touting it as a 'one box' solution to serve 4 TVs.. But unless they incorporate some kind of 'smart' recording management (ie: the ability to hand off an upcoming or in-progress recording to another tuner that is not currently in use), it is no better than a 722 when you make heavy use of the DVR. The ability to record 5 programs simultaneously (or record 3 while watching 2 live in PIP) in one box and being able to stream MRV to multiple TV's would be awesome. But not at the expense of each recording in progress monopolizing a remote TV's tuner like the 722 does.

I thought the 722 was awesome until I realized that if I had 2 recordings in progress, You're stuck watching what's recording on TV2. Even if I only had one scheduled, and it decided to record on TV2 while I was watching something else on TV2, there's no way to make it record on TV1 instead without canceling and rescheduling it. It's just a half-assed way to set it up IMO. If there's more than 2 people in the house, it's going to cause fights.

I looks like a VERY cool unit! DIRECTV's technology has gotten AWESOME over the past 2 years.

On something like that, OTA tuners aren't going to be a headline feature.. It's 5 satellite tuners.

Last edited:

I haven't heard a thing about OTA,
My guess the same as the others.
The need for addtional equipment.

Since most customers have locals VIA satellite, I don't think D* or E* will put much more effort then they already do to support OTA.

I understand where you're coming from but according to that site, they are touting it as a 'one box' solution to serve 4 TVs..

On something like that, OTA tuners aren't going to be a headline feature.. It's 5 satellite tuners.
Agree,
Well I have been waiting for a box like this, But I was thinking on the lines a 4-6 room HD DVR But 8-12 Tuners. Not 5! Its about 3 shy of what I'm really hoping for.

Exactly! Any device that is going to serve multiple rooms needs to have at least 2 tuners per room to give transparent operation if recordings are in progress.

if i read it right one box would serve up to five tvs is this for live tv and would it be in hd. i thought hd couldn't be delivered over coax exept from and antenna

Directv is already doing it with MRV., you can watch recorded shows in HD. All done with RG6 cabling.

I haven't heard a thing about OTA,
My guess the same as the others.
The need for addtional equipment.

Since most customers have locals VIA satellite, I don't think D* or E* will put much more effort then they already do to support OTA.

They unfortunately gave up on OTA a while back. :rolleyes:

Good thing I did not buy more HR24's lol

I am all over this new model when released

5 Tuners sickkklk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)