New 5lnb are there many customers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The D* installer I had only used one support arm initialy...3 weeks later we was back to put the 2nd one on as when it got really windy i would have stuttering picture. But was he pissed too to have to come back. Acted like it was my fault they made the thing so big.

Last edited:
lol...great point. I remember when i got my first hdbox and I was like where is the dvi cable it comes with? "Oh you need that" said the installer lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6lol. dvi doesnt come with the h20 . only hd components and audio cables. make sure you have the mpeg converter install in the satellite input behind the h20 box. you guys are flipping about the monopoles that support the ka/ku dish. when mounted on the roof the dish need to be install on a stud for better support along with the brace.

I will be installing mine (or installer, I haven't decided if I am going to do it or let them do it) on a pole about 4 ft above my roof line. you can stand on the roof to do the install, but I will not have any way to add support monopoles, they say you don't need them on a pole mount...
Any thoughts from anyone that has done a pole mount ?
No way am I going to allow them to install it into my roof. I actually need more clearence anyway, that was another reason I went with a pole set up.

Jimbo

I put a pole in and it goes above my roof line about three feet. The installer didn't use the support poles. I actually think this is better than the usual way they install ( to fascia boards ) The installer didn't want to install on a pole and he insisted on calling his office to get permission. I live in Ft Lauderdale and the install company is Mastec, And personally I think they aren't familiar with the 5LNB dishes and aren't comfortable yet - at least that's the vibe I got from them. Also they had to replace the dish after the first installer used tie-wraps to install the LNB arm. I posted pictures on a earlier post. I also have much more rain fade compared to the 3LNB dish, It's almost ridiculous.:hatsoff:
I had a hell of a time finding a pole long enough - I finally found a 14 foot galvanised pole at a fence supply company. Dont use a wood fence post like others have.

Optical Serenity said:
I have serious issues with rain fade on my AT-9 on local channels...its insane. slight rain (even sprinkling) causes rain fade.

Optical, I live in Marietta as well, and I don't loose my HD locals unless the rain is pretty hard. It sounds like your dish is not pointed as well as it should be. Do you have any trees that could be in the way?

Does anyone know what the size of the footprint is of the base of the mount. I'm setting up a good sturdy mount for mine when it eventually gets done.
Would a 2x6 be wide enough for the base mount? Or would I need a 2x8? I'm planning on doubling it up, thickness wise, and gluing and screwing it together. Then mounting it up against a 6x6 timber wall we have with lag bolts and construction glue. This wall is about 4.5 ft. tall so it would have plenty of support to bolt to.
We have high winds out here almost daily in the spring and fall, but the dish would be protected from all but south wind.

johnml said:
I put a pole in and it goes above my roof line about three feet. The installer didn't use the support poles. I actually think this is better than the usual way they install ( to fascia boards ) The installer didn't want to install on a pole and he insisted on calling his office to get permission. I live in Ft Lauderdale and the install company is Mastec, And personally I think they aren't familiar with the 5LNB dishes and aren't comfortable yet - at least that's the vibe I got from them. Also they had to replace the dish after the first installer used tie-wraps to install the LNB arm. I posted pictures on a earlier post. I also have much more rain fade compared to the 3LNB dish, It's almost ridiculous.:hatsoff:
I had a hell of a time finding a pole long enough - I finally found a 14 foot galvanised pole at a fence supply company. Dont use a wood fence post like others have.
Johnml,
It looks like we have about the identical set up.
I am also using 16 ft galvinized, mine sits 4 ft above the roof line.
I've been debating weather or not to set it up myself or have an installer place it.

Jimbo

You would be better off installing the pole yourself. I drilled a couple hole through the bottom of the pole and stuck rebar so pole wouldnt spin. I attached top portion of pole to the roof rafter with a pipe wall mount with 3" lag bolts - You can also get a pipe holder (wall mount) at a fence supply. If you do it yourself you would get a better quality job done the right way. good luck

I got mine and now I live inside it.:) I like it big though I go into my backyard and look around at every one elses puny little dish and laugh to my self. And then I remember that they most likley have twice the HD channels I have and I cry.

johnml said:
You would be better off installing the pole yourself. I drilled a couple hole through the bottom of the pole and stuck rebar so pole wouldnt spin. I attached top portion of pole to the roof rafter with a pipe wall mount with 3" lag bolts - You can also get a pipe holder (wall mount) at a fence supply. If you do it yourself you would get a better quality job done the right way. good luck
I was refering to haveing the installer place and point the AT-9, instead of me, for a change ...

I installed my pole last weekend, used a bolt in the bottom to prevent spinning as you did and supported the pole to the house, mine goes 4 ft above the roof line, I went higher than nessasary just to be sure the big pine trees next door would not grow in my way anytime soon.
In reallity it should be an easy install, I've always done my own installs but I am not fermiliar with how touchy the KU/KA set up is going to be, it looks like a lot more BS to deal with, than the other dishes.

Did you install your your self ?
If so, any thing I should be looking for if I do do my own install ?

Jimbo

Kackoo

Hey guys I'm new to all this, and by the terminology you guys use.....you make me feel very much new to the whole "satellite phenomenon". I've been reading terms like HD LIL..................what is lil?

I've been installing for DirecTV for 14 months now, and have thus far done only 3 AT9's (as you guys call them, we just call 'em Kackoos). All three were pole mounted, because I don't trust wind resistance on any one roof stud. The support arms actually have to be asked for at the warehouse. As an installer, I don't imagine u'd get much on E-bay for them.

The dimensions on the mast for a wall or roof mount : 6 1/4'' by 8 3/4'' (for whoever asked that earlier in the thread) This is the size of the "foot" to be attached to the roof or wall. If you use a pole it has to be 2'' diameter. Always use a self-tapping screw to keep the neck from twisting on the pole (in either case). I could also see the advantage of extra bracing, but the foot assembly for one of these things prolly weighs 5 or 10 pounds alone...........pretty strong. BUT..........the whole dish is supposed to weigh like 26 lbs I think.

I'm new to this site, and posted a thread somewhere yesterday, but can't find it now to check for replies. If anyone can help me with that, PM me. And if I can answer any questions for anyone let me know.

ALSO.........you ARE supposed to get more gain by a larger diameter dish, however I'm not sure how the angle of reflection plays a part in this. I do know that with the AT-9, it takes longer to put together but is a breeze to line up if you have all the angles pre-set, and the pole perfectly level.

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
I was refering to haveing the installer place and point the AT-9, instead of me, for a change ...

I installed my pole last weekend, used a bolt in the bottom to prevent spinning as you did and supported the pole to the house, mine goes 4 ft above the roof line, I went higher than nessasary just to be sure the big pine trees next door would not grow in my way anytime soon.
In reallity it should be an easy install, I've always done my own installs but I am not fermiliar with how touchy the KU/KA set up is going to be, it looks like a lot more BS to deal with, than the other dishes.

Did you install your your self ?
If so, any thing I should be looking for if I do do my own install ?

Jimbo

Directv installed mine after the tech insisted he couldn't install on a pole. He had to call his office to get permission to do it. I actually had three 5LNB's installed- The first one the installer took two hours to install it, Even then he used tie wraps to hold the LNB arm on. The second installed never fixed it. The third installed took 15 minutes installing it (including putting it together) (he was supposedly a senior tech) The first tech had to ask me for a set screw for the mount too ? The installers down here in Ft. Lauderdale arent too familiar with the dishes - I drove around and looked hard to find some and I only found two.:) From what I gather - Their a bitch to install - Much more precise than the 3LNB.

bruistertech30 said:
I've been reading terms like HD LIL..................what is lil?

LIL = Local into Local, as in the local affiliates a DBS company retransmits back into that same DMA (designated market area)

I'm new to this site, and posted a thread somewhere yesterday, but can't find it now to check for replies. If anyone can help me with that

Just click your own user name and then click find all posts; that will show you your list of posts. You can also subscribe to threads you want to keep an eye on; you will get some sort of notification when new posts are made to it.

Also WELCOME! You also have PM (private messaging) here, like on most boards and might be a better place rather than posting your actual email right on the board for all to see; same goes with your phone and address. Again welcome and enjoy!

Thanks Charper

I'm completely new to the whole "forum" thing, but it seems I've learned more here in the last few days than in the last 14 months of tech meetings. We're taught what we have to know I guess........then given 14 pages stapled together to read over ,(copied very poorly - most times unreadable because done so in such bulk), on the latest technology coming out soon..........then delayed.

As for the E-mail, I don't care who E-mails me. My scanners won't let me read anything corrupt, so I'd never have to worry about opening something crazy that'd mess up my computer. Everyone is welcome....I'm an easy guy to get along with, but don't always get to check them regularly.

And as for the setting up that monster dish being so difficult, it really IS VERY EASY to line up. You just have to have a wider LOS....a very level mast or pole.....and precise angle measurements. It'll take care of itself after that just like a triple-sat. The presets for where I live compared to presets for Atlanta,Ga (105 miles away) is off by one degree in elevation and one degree in skew. So I could prolly set up a dish by my pre-sets, then drive 100 miles away and still get a pretty good signal. This bigger dish is designed to catch it. The customer usually ''sees'' me putting the dish together in about 3 minutes. I preassemble the other 20 minutes worth in my garage to save me time (it has about the same number of parts, washers, bolts and screws as an iternational dish).

I was nervous to say the least to start putting these things in, but I got pointers from lead-techs who were forced to start their installations. One thing to remember, put the dish together completely. Also, have your wires from the LNB already connected permanently (leaving enough wire to go to the switch or ground block). Use the end of this long wire to connect to your meter. They tell me if you take the LNB off after peaking then put it back on, you can lose some of the signal from the 110 and 119. We have to use $400 birdogs because the H20 has an unreliable signal meter, and so far cannot be trusted (will show a 98 percent signal as an 85).

Anyway I want to help however I can, even though I'm not a veteran tech by any means. It took me 9 hours the other day to do a 7 box KA/KU with 3 HI-DEF DVRs. I had to cascade two 6 x 8's because we get locals from the 72.5 market, and needed 10 outputs for the boxes. Thanks again Charper, and hopefully soon I'll be able to catch the lingo and use the features here. Later. ;)

Last edited:
bruistertech30,

Welcome to the site, look around theres plenty of info here.
When my installer came out, I told him some of what I knew from the boards.
He said not to bother with boards, they know nothing.....
Than I had to tell him that the OTA tuners were not activated on theHR20-700's, he didn't believe me, until he went to set it up and found , that it was not active ....
Then he understood that I did now what I was talking about...
Over all he was very helpful, of course he should have been, I had a 1-5 on a Friday and was not installed until 4pm on SUNDAY :down
I normally do my own installs, except I had never dealt with the AT-9 so I wanted to see it done, now I will do the next one myself., that was the first time anyone D* wise had been out to my place, maybe the last ...

Q. Have you installed any of these without a meter ?
I wonder how much more dificult it would be, or if it's just a case of being patient, like usual.
Once again :welcome to the site

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)