New 5lnb are there many customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

veener88

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I am just wondering when ever I go out and I am not driving for some reason I get looking at dishes. I do not know why but so far I have not seen any houses with the new 5lb setup. A lot of homes are still on the 3 lnb. I am just wondering is the 5lnb still a rare setup to see? I would think driving from almost WI to IN I would at least see some but I did not see a one.

5lnb Memphis Tn

Well, I just got my 5 lnb dish saturday I live a little north of the city and I have only seen a couple of houses in my area with the new dish. My understanding is
all the mpeg 4 channels will have to be accessed with the new dish, the 3lnb dish will not pick up the new satellites. So far the hd picture is great on my set not alot of channels but I get the package free for at least 14 months.
jdmac29

I have 2 (one from the old house before the move) It is for the mpeg4 channels. Only the H20 receiver gets those channels. It gets much better reception than the 3lnb unit I had. I have had next to zero rain fade with it also. Ive been using a AT-9 for 6 plus months now.

I got the first one installed in eastern OHIO, the first day they were out here. Now I get Pittsburgh locals with it and don't have to mess with another HUGE, $$$ OTA setup. Was going to cost me $1000 plus to get the OTA channels here.

I am waiting for the slim line dishes and the HD DVR to be readily available, probably end of year for me I would think.

VIPERS-PIT said:
I have 2 (one from the old house before the move) It is for the mpeg4 channels. Only the H20 receiver gets those channels. It gets much better reception than the 3lnb unit I had. I have had next to zero rain fade with it also. Ive been using a AT-9 for 6 plus months now.

I got the first one installed in eastern OHIO, the first day they were out here. Now I get Pittsburgh locals with it and don't have to mess with another HUGE, $$$ OTA setup. Was going to cost me $1000 plus to get the OTA channels here.

I've seen posted either here or other places the AT9 has a lot of problems with rain fade which I don't understand since the dish is bigger thus there should be less of a problem. Perhaps they are talking about the KA sats which it just seems to me should come in weaker than the KU. I'm no techie perhaps the opposite is true.

I do seems to get more rain fade with this dish then the 3lnb. HDLiL is not available yet where I am but channels seem clearer in SD with h20-600 than hr10-250 or other RCA or Hughes HD boxes I have.

Optical Serenity said:
I have serious issues with rain fade on my AT-9 on local channels...its insane. slight rain (even sprinkling) causes rain fade.

Is that the KA local HD signal? It just doesn't make sense because a bigger dish should reduce rain fade right? I did my darndest to have D* install a AT9 but Bruister refused to do so. I'm now glad and will just wait for the slimline.

Got one in Ft Lauderdale and it has to literally POUR before I get any rain fade at all.

mfegley said:
Got one in Ft Lauderdale and it has to literally POUR before I get any rain fade at all.

I have to agree. At first I would not have but about 90 days after getting it setup I found that they forgot to install the extra brace to heol the dish. After that was done my dish went to betting better then my 3lnb.

igator99 said:
Is that the KA local HD signal? It just doesn't make sense because a bigger dish should reduce rain fade right? I did my darndest to have D* install a AT9 but Bruister refused to do so. I'm now glad and will just wait for the slimline.

He's in the Atlanta area so that would be Ka Locals- I'm betting that we are going to find that the rain fade is a result of the installers not having the dish pointed correctly....

Last edited:
I can see where rain fade will be an issue if you don't have the "extra" supports in place. The thing is so heavy and bulky it's gonna "bounce" without some kind of support. And they don't come with the dish.....:confused:

rkr0923 said:
I can see where rain fade will be an issue if you don't have the "extra" supports in place. The thing is so heavy and bulky it's gonna "bounce" without some kind of support. And they don't come with the dish.....:confused:
What ????
They don't come with the dish ????
Then how do you get them ? If you buy the dish vs having D* install, how domyou get them, go to Home Depot ? build them yourselves ....:rolleyes:

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
What ????
They don't come with the dish ????
Then how do you get them ? If you buy the dish vs having D* install, how domyou get them, go to Home Depot ? build them yourselves ....:rolleyes:

Jimbo

Is it s a part that that has be ordered. Mine did not come with them D* had to order them and have the installer come out and install them after they did the first install.

This is something that I do not know why they did not get with the vendor with to make sure they came with the dish and they were installed with them.

My D* installed AT-9 came with both arms. I asked about the bracing while he was in the driveway assembling everything.

He said he never leaves the yard without making sure he has everything for each install so doesn't have to call his supervisor for this part or that part. He also carries "extra" gear and parts because D* doesn't always write the best work orders.

He even had a small generator on his truck in case a customer didn't have or wouldn't let him use their electricity.

This same installer has done all of my dish/gear change outs over the past 9 years. A little unusual. He said after the amount of time he's been installing he's learned what to stock his truck with "just in case".

they said the at-9 is too heavy to mount the way i have my 3lnb mounted ...so they'd have to bolt it to the roof. no apartment complex i know of allows that, so looks like they'll lose a LOT of business by doing this ridiculous thing. i'm out in october when my contract is up. seriously, everything worked fine and i got all my locals OTA -- why switch it so my current set up no longer works for HD NFL games? Stupid stupid stupid.

I'm waiting for the new slimline and the new HD DVR to be readily available also. Anybody know how or if it is even possible to "specify" a certain installer to do your work?
I've got a guy who has fixed a bad install on both a Direcway and a 3lnb D* dish by other installers. He was excellent! And he answered many questions I had. I'd like him to do my next upgrade install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)