New 5LNB Installation Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tobysdad

Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Having my current self-installed 3LNB dish replaced with the 5LNB in a couple of weeks in preparation for the new HD channels. I've never been able to get the 119 satellite due to a neighbor's trees. I know the new HD channels will be on satellites I can get (99 through 103, plus 110), but will the fact that I can't see 119 present any installation problems with the new dish? The Slimline Dish Installation manual I downloaded says 119 is used along with 101 for fine tuning purposes. Is the technician going to give me a hard time with this?! I'd planned to upgrade on my own, but D* called and offered me a free installation upgrade. Thanks for any input.

you don't have to have the 119 to fine tune, as long as everything is plumb and level and as long as the correct skew is set. However if your installer is new or just cranky that day he might say no. Just tell him you are willing to take responsibility for it and sign off on it. He doesn't know you. He could be afraid of getting burned on chargebacks for service calls. A lot of customers will tell you to just put it in regardless and then two weeks later you are getting charged back because they are calling direct and whining. Just be nice to the guy.

It is if you want some of the current HD offerings ....

Have you tried to look and see if you have other alternatives for where the dish needs to be ?

I think one of the ESPN's and HD Net is on the 119 and 1 other as well, they will be moved eventually but not right away.

Jimbo

will they just leave the equipment and allow you to do it in that case?

when i originally signed up for D* the installer came out and said it wouldn't work so have a nice day. i went and bought my own dish, installed it on my deck, and pulled all the sats in.

i hate installers that don't even try.

will they just leave the equipment and allow you to do it in that case?

when i originally signed up for D* the installer came out and said it wouldn't work so have a nice day. i went and bought my own dish, installed it on my deck, and pulled all the sats in.

i hate installers that don't even try.

No, they can't leave the equipment because D* charges their company to "purchase" the equipment from them. If the install company doesn't have a valid work order to bill back for, they are out the cost of the equipment.

As to the installer that came to your place, it's possible there were other reasons he couldn't perform the install like you did. Issues like grounding, length of cable runs, mounting options (such as to aluminum or vinyl siding), and other items make it more restrictive for the installer than you.

I have not been to your house, so I don't know what the exact situation is. It may have been because he was lazy, or it could have been because his company policy prevented him from doing the install.

No, they can't leave the equipment because D* charges their company to "purchase" the equipment from them. If the install company doesn't have a valid work order to bill back for, they are out the cost of the equipment.

As to the installer that came to your place, it's possible there were other reasons he couldn't perform the install like you did. Issues like grounding, length of cable runs, mounting options (such as to aluminum or vinyl siding), and other items make it more restrictive for the installer than you.

I have not been to your house, so I don't know what the exact situation is. It may have been because he was lazy, or it could have been because his company policy prevented him from doing the install.

you make good points. i'm not in the business of attacking anyone who is trying to help (especially when they are just helpfully speculating), so i appreciate and understand what you're saying.

but this was pretty much a case of pure laziness. he stepped out on the deck and said there's no LOS, sorry! :rolleyes:

if an installer won't do a job, is there a way to get D to sent you the equipment directly?

You can always call D* and see if they will send you the equipment, but they've been very reluctant to do so with HD systems and dishes.

Your installer may very well have been lazy, but I would like to point out that most installers know if there could be a line of sight issue before they get out of their vehicle. I do believe that he should have used a compass and an inclinometer to verify no LOS before leaving, though.

Thanks for all the replies. I was in the same situation as Colebert initially - the installer didn't use any instruments to make sure I could or couldn't get the satellites, and didn't do a site inspection either - just said "No" from his truck. This was years ago before satellite 119 even became an issue. I did my own site evaluation using a compass, bought my own equipment, and installed everything myself. Worked perfectly. When the 3LNB dish came along, I installed that, too. That's when I discovered the issue with satellite 119, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I don't miss what I never had! Besides, if HD is moving off 119 I don't see the problem. Guess I'll find out tomorrow since that's when I'm due to get the upgrade! I guess if he says "No" I'll just go out and buy the dish and install it myself. The only reason I'm having them come out is because THEY called ME and offered the upgrade at no charge.

Last edited:
The only reason I'm having them come out is because THEY called ME and offered the upgrade at no charge.

As you probably already know though; keep in mind DirecTV may be the ones calling you to upgrade and whatnot, BUT the installers are NOT employed by DirecTV directly. They are area sub-contractor that work for a company that has bid or been hired to do the installs on DirecTV's behalf.

I am not condoning their actions (I actually hate guys that do this to customers) BUT just explaining; what you likely already know.

i understand the economic motivations for not doing the install. assuming there is no shortage of installation jobs, why take a risk on a job that has an above normal chance of being a bust?

that is obviously no excuse for a lack of professionalism. but that has to be the thinking, anyway.

i understand the economic motivations for not doing the install. assuming there is no shortage of installation jobs, why take a risk on a job that has an above normal chance of being a bust?

that is obviously no excuse for a lack of professionalism. but that has to be the thinking, anyway.

You hit the nail right on the head: no professionalism; no pride in themselves. If they will slack-off in this manner; what might that highlight about their character or honesty or ethics in general. That's me.

When I let D*'s installers come to my house, it was to place the 5 lnb AT-9, it was new at the time and I wanted to see how it was set up before tackling it myself and the fact that IF they did it, it was free vs me having to buy one at $100 back then.
I had all the cables run ahead of time , the pole was placed and all they needed to do was put the dish together and point it.

BTW, The installer I had, was very proffesional and did a very good job, of course part of that might have been due to the fact that he didn't have much to do.

Jimbo

Unfortunately if everyone in my area was installed my a similar technician then every 5LNB installation around here will have to be repeaked. The installer had no clue how to or if he could tune in the new sat locations.

Unfortunately if everyone in my area was installed my a similar technician then every 5LNB installation around here will have to be repeaked. The installer had no clue how to or if he could tune in the new sat locations.

This is an interesting statement.

In the DVR Forum on this site, in the posting entitled "DVR and Heavy Rain", in post # 26 you claimed that there was nothing wrong with your dish and that it was peaked correctly.

Which is/was correct?

This is an interesting statement.

In the DVR Forum on this site, in the posting entitled "DVR and Heavy Rain", in post # 26 you claimed that there was nothing wrong with your dish and that it was peaked correctly.

Which is/was correct?

Ouch..... :D

Well, today was installation day and I couldn't be more satisfied with the job my installer did! He arrived on time and I was up front with him as to my problem with 119. Didn't deter him in the least - got out all his "siting" equipment and determined he could make it work. After one false start (a pole-in-the-ground installation right next to my deck-mounted 3LNB) failed to bring in 119, the installer hauled out his ladder, proceeded to my roof (2 and 1/2 stories high) and swore he could make it work from there. I said OK and less than an hour later he had the whole thing installed and working, including 119. And this was in 100+ degree Atlanta, GA weather! Very professional job installation by a customer-oriented employee. So whether or not he's actually employed by D* is of minor concern to me (he isn't); I'm just a customer who appreciates the effort made by this employee and by D* for apparently valuing me enough to offer the upgrade at no charge. I'll be with them for a looo-nn-g time!
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)