New 622, can I swap the harddrive from the old?

monroef

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
My HDMI output failed on my VIP622 and Dish has sent me another. Can I swap the hard drive to move my recorded content to my new receiver? (Funny, my HDMI on my VIP211 also failed just two days later).

Last edited:
Sure, you could but you would void your warrenty and we still wouldn't know if it would work. It would be interesting though, it's a great idea and might be worth a try. I wonder what others think about this.

My corporate laptop was giving me a hard time, I called our support center and they sent out an identical laptop. I swapped out the harddrives and I was back to normal in no time.

if you return it they may hassle you about the security sticker.....

I have a new hard drive here for my 522 it will make it a 625 but havent had time to install it

You'll be voiding the warranty on the new one so I wouldnt do it just incase it goes bad within its warranty.

Got a dvd rw unit? transfer the movies over to them.

Well, I don't have a DVD unit. But, even if the warrenty is voided whats the downside? According to the CSR, the warrently was gone on the old unit and they replaced it anyway. I actually tried to get them to hold off on the replacement until the external hard drive support is enabled. The CSR said, that he never heard of that feature being in the works.

I suspect it will NOT work. The content on the drive is encrypted and the key is likely tied to the hardware. New hardware = new key.

Yes, the content on the hardrive in encrypted and locked to the hardware. But what hardware? The hardware of a E* ViP622 receiver. I doubt that the software is specific to each and every 622 out there, although that may be a possibility.

Speculating on the key and the hardware, if you read the information Dish provided about external storage, they were going to make it so you could move the external drive from one 622 to another 622 on your account. There is something that Dish has access to that they use to allow this. Smart card # ??

But, even if the warrenty is voided whats the downside? .

Its the new unit you want to really worry about when it comes to the warranty and its not unheard of to get a new replacement receiver ( dish sends out refurbs on replacements, the serieal number should start with a W or a Y, ) and have it go bad within its warranty time.

Yes, the content on the hardrive in encrypted and locked to the hardware. But what hardware? The hardware of a E* ViP622 receiver. I doubt that the software is specific to each and every 622 out there, although that may be a possibility.
Each ViP622 has a unique code that is used to hash the recorded content. You CANNOT accomplish what you're suggesting no matter how much you think about it nor how many times you attempt to justify it.

The sharing of content going forward is between two ViP622 receivers, not two drives hooked to the same receiver.

The security sticker is no problem. I have sucessfully lifted the sticker with a sharp blade. Or you could heat it with a heat gun. But, I did try swapping hard drives on a 510 but neither would recognize the other's drive. I would expect the 622 to be the same.
M

I believe if you put the "old" hard drive in the "new" receiver, the receiver will format it and set it up to work with the receiver. You'll lose all the recordings anyway.

Well I guess I will need to ship the replacement 622 back. I don't won't to lose my existing recordings. I can live without HDMI for now. I will just wait until USB storage is turned on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)