New 622 Feature Coming

Also, I wonder what this means for the AT&T HomezoneHD receivers since they are connected to the internet (whether wireless, or wired)? I would assume that you would not need a phone line anymore for those as well, although caller ID would not work on those either.

The Tech Portal page does not appear to have the connection instructions as per post #1, unless I'm blind.

Let's see if I have this straight...if someone were to have three 622s, as long as they keep one plugged into an active phone line or ethernet port then the other 622s would be able to communicate with Dish Network through the HomePlug (forgot the name of the intelligent electrical adapter) feature...just have one hooked up and the others will pass data over the electric adapter?

IIRC you are correct that with ONE 622 on the network, and the other's set to REMOTE, using DishCOMM, it should work.

I'm going to see if I can find a RJ45->Wireless adapter :)

LER

So the 50 dollar question is do they make a wireless adapter for a rj45 connector? If they do, you should probably post it up as a sticky to help everyone that will be here to try and set this up, because I can only imagine all of the stuff they plan on announcing that is coming soon.

You can always buy home plug for ethernet. Following link is just for example, you can find cheaper and faster date rate then this one :)
Iogear Turbo Powerline Networking Kit - 85 Mbps

Also, I wonder what this means for the AT&T HomezoneHD receivers since they are connected to the internet (whether wireless, or wired)? I would assume that you would not need a phone line anymore for those as well, although caller ID would not work on those either.

The AT&T Homezone receivers require DSL service with ATT so that takes care of the caller ID since the phone and the broadband service come from the same provider. If you have a different Broadband provider then Caller ID most likely will not work.

So, does anyone know if this update since it enables the LAN port) will include the ability to update the schedule of programs to be recorded via our web accounts?

...perhaps the VOD feature?

Since you are talking 622, I have a question and won't start a new thread just for it. I'm coming back to Dish on Monday with a 622. (Never had). I know it has two tuners. But the question is, if you hook it for two rooms, do you lose the watch one show and record another feature, as each room gets it's own tuner? I don't know whether to do it that way or just hook up the old 501 in the other room since there is no HD in there? Does that question make sense?

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE: As long as you are recording on tuner 2 (default, I believe) you continue to watch what ever channel you want from tuner 1, which is usually is your main tv. You lose ability to watch whatever you want when: 1) while recorded events' ending & starting times overlap or, 2)you are recording 2 events simultaineously(?). @this point you can watch something else you have recorded.

Effective August 9, customers with a ViP 622 will have an alternative to connecting their receiver to a phone line.
Until we find out more, it seems that if you already have a phone line connected there is no incentive to rush to the ethernet option, at least initially, especially if no other features are being added at this time. And, also until we hear that both jacks will work concurrently so as not to lose the caller ID functionality....

RiffJim:

I have a D-Link wireless --> Wired Ethernet adapter floating around. They retail between $50-100... I have one floating around that I don't use and if you send me a PM I'll get it out to you. If it works great :) If not you can send it back :D

Cheers,

So anyone know a 8 port wireless router?

I'm already full with my PS3 and would need more cables. The house is wired and don't want to spend $90 on a game adapter, prefer wires :)

IIRC you are correct that with ONE 622 on the network, and the other's set to REMOTE, using DishCOMM, it should work.

I'm going to see if I can find a RJ45->Wireless adapter :)

LER

Tiger Direct has a couple of versions. It looks like the connections are reversed from what you would need them to be, but you can buy male to male cables and a gender bender for the USB. I'm sure that once this option is released that the Dish Store would carry them. They have everything else you could possibly need for dish.

The only thing I'm not sure about is this. The USB port is a powered port (passes power to the device that's plugged into it), and I think that an Ethernet port is not. If an wireless adapter needs power from the port that it's plugged into to work, then that may pose a problem with going wireless.

Man, thinking about this is really exciting. It could potentially open the door for all kinds of new things. Exciting indeed.

So anyone know a 8 port wireless router?

I'm already full with my PS3 and would need more cables. The house is wired and don't want to spend $90 on a game adapter, prefer wires :)

Add an external switch to the router. Plug all your devices into the switch as well as the router's LAN port.

This gives your devices full bandwidth access to one another and only limits performance when accessing the open network.

Cheers,

This would be a very easy, cheap way for them to enable live local radar with the weather channel or as a stand alone somehow. All they would need is to install some type of web browser in the software for that purpose.
As more and more Dish receivers are getting ethernet ports, I'd love to see them replace ALL of the "interactive" stuff with versions that use the internet connection vs either satellite or phone lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)