New 622 Feature Coming

Searching around the house & found a lonely spare Ethernet cable not in use for anything but for my vip622;) & hooked it up. Now will it auto-detect the ethernet cord on the 9th or activate it from the menu some where?

I have Homezone HD

Also, I wonder what this means for the AT&T HomezoneHD receivers since they are connected to the internet (whether wireless, or wired)? I would assume that you would not need a phone line anymore for those as well, although caller ID would not work on those either.

and they say the phone line IS required. The ethernet connection is used for Web Remote and Movielink both which are hobbled and lame. In my opinion, HZ is over-hyped. Its features are primitive and user-hostile. HZ is limited to 20 hours of HD recording and the external storage add-on will not be available for HZ subscribers.

I sitting back for now and will look at "real" Dish and DirecTV are offering in six months. I doubt I will stay with Homezone as you paying more for less and management does not seem interested in improving it.

The 4 port would rock, I might get that one and put my ps3 and 622 on it.

$149.99 at Ccity with 3 mo's no interest, might be buying this before I get the HDD.

Lakebum, will these work thru a surge protector?

Not sure, mine is direct to the wall. Please don't take any offense to this but if you are financing a $150 item (even if it is 0%) then you probably don't need to be buying it.

Wireless adapters come with a USB plug. Tivos have a usb port set up for the wireless adapter. Why does Dish have to complicate everything and be the world's first to use ethernet ports. I have an extra wireless adapter with a usb plug.

RiffJim:

I have a D-Link wireless --> Wired Ethernet adapter floating around. They retail between $50-100... I have one floating around that I don't use and if you send me a PM I'll get it out to you. If it works great :) If not you can send it back :D

Cheers,

Yeah, they're called a wireless bridge. You just connect an ethernet cable from the 622 to the bridge.

The 4 port would rock, I might get that one and put my ps3 and 622 on it.

$149.99 at Ccity with 3 mo's no interest, might be buying this before I get the HDD.

Lakebum, will these work thru a surge protector?

Thats a negative. I have a sling link and it says NOT to plug it into a surge strip right on it.

So
I have a 622 in one room and a 625 in another. Do I need to connect both to an ethernet wire?

The only reason I want to do this is because I pay the 5 dollar enabling fee for each box since I dont have home phone service.

Thanks
John

Will this hurt the "movers" who have different addresses and such?
Caller ID (on Dish's end) is far more reliable - given that the vast majority of people still using standard landlines and not VOIP - than determining location based on an IP address. Dish doesn't care if people "move" anyway...

Wireless adapters come with a USB plug. Tivos have a usb port set up for the wireless adapter. Why does Dish have to complicate everything and be the world's first to use ethernet ports. I have an extra wireless adapter with a usb plug.

The latest TiVo's have ethernet built in. I hope they don't sue Dish over this too.

Not sure, mine is direct to the wall. Please don't take any offense to this but if you are financing a $150 item (even if it is 0%) then you probably don't need to be buying it.

I always buy stuff from CCity on my card to keep it active when they have no interest :)

Cost is not the object.

Granted I did buy my HDTV last year on it with no interest and paid it off in close to 3 mo's.

BTW, Ill try it with the surge protector when I get it and let you know if it works.

Last edited:
This is great news. This definately opens up the door to alot of new features.

I am so excited! We will only have to wait another 4 years to enjoy these new features too!

/circles August 4th 2011 on calender for NEW features (August 3rd being premier date of local on 8's beta 4)

RiffJim:

I have a D-Link wireless --> Wired Ethernet adapter floating around. They retail between $50-100... I have one floating around that I don't use and if you send me a PM I'll get it out to you. If it works great :) If not you can send it back :D

Cheers,
Thanks for the generous offer John, but my receivers are all plugged in to a phone jack and I have more networking pieces and parts lying around the house than the local Best Buy. I may go "mobile phone only" in the future and having the DISHCOMM enabled would help-out a lot of people.

Thats a negative. I have a sling link and it says NOT to plug it into a surge strip right on it.

Thanks, I musta missed this post all together.

I did some looking and I think the 4port sling bundle is the best for me. I can hook the 622 and ps3 up and still have space left over. At some point everything is going to want an internet connection.

Until the ethernet ports allow me to transfer data between my 622's, I'm not too excited about this.

Oh, and also allow me to back up to my Lan storage device, as opposed to USB hard drives only.

Hopefully, this is all coming around the corner. You have to start somewhere right!

Here is a question... isnt enabling this AGAINST dish's favor for those who are not being completely legit?

If one box is plugged into the phone line and another is plugged into the internet. How can they tell if they are at the exact same address?

To me this should come with a stipulation that either the customer uses only internet or only phone.

You would think that dish reps would know about this topic, but they do not! I called yesterday and do you know what I heard? NOTHING. AGain, you people can talk all you want but unless its out there in black and white, I DO NOT believe it. August 15th is only 11 days away, you would THINK the reps would know something!

You would think that dish reps would know about this topic, but they do not! I called yesterday and do you know what I heard? NOTHING. AGain, you people can talk all you want but unless its out there in black and white, I DO NOT believe it. August 15th is only 11 days away, you would THINK the reps would know something!

Im sure itll be last minute which is why Scott said in the first post not to call them until the 15th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)