New 622 Feature Coming

Some of us use Static DHCP; where the device requests an address via DHCP but the router hands them out a consistent address.

This makes it easier when you go to access network services like mass storage or printers :D

Cheers,

Agreed. My printers get static 192.168.200.* addresses. I was referring to what Dish Network will see which is a dynamic IP from ATT DSL.

When John mentions static IPs (via DHCP), the 622 will be none the wiser. It will ask for an IP and John's server will give it the same one EVERY TIME.

Scott might already get that; but the term "Static DHCP" isn't particularly clear to those that don't know the ins and outs of DHCP.

Emphasizing that DHCP needs to be running isn't a bad point to make as not everyone is tech savvy in this way :)

Cheers,

Agreed. My printers get static 192.168.200.* addresses. I was referring to what Dish Network will see which is a dynamic IP from ATT DSL.

I would hope that that part is expected from Dish. It's what happens behind the public facing network that is up for grabs.

I've always preferred static address schemes as it makes life easier; but with more machines in the house becoming portable I chose this path as the compromise.

Cheers,

It is too bad that they won't have a static IP subsection though, since some DHCP implementations are inherently flawed or may not work with the Dish boxes for whatever reason. Maybe they'll add it later in time.

I had issues with my two wireless printers and two slingboxes so I set up all four with static IPs and now they all work good. I have all other wireless things, about ten set up automactically (DHCP) and everything is working good. Time will tell with Dish receivers.

I had issues with my two wireless printers and two slingboxes so I set up all four with static IPs and now they all work good. I have all other wireless things, about ten set up automactically (DHCP) and everything is working good. Time will tell with Dish receivers.

Just be careful that your static IPs are not in the DHCP pool (unless you excluded them from the Pool) otherwise you can get into IP conflict scenarios.

Has anyone connected an ethernet cable to their 622 yet ?? I did yesterday and it needed a reboot for it to show up as "live" on my router. I would have thought it was always "on". I mean, the light doesn't mean they're talking, just that there's continuity.

Yup. I did too and also needed the reboot for the 622 to pull an IP from the router.

--Doug

For those of you who connect your PC directly to your internet service and especially those who do so by USB, you are going to need to change your setup so that your cablemodem/dslmodem connects to a router/switch and then your PC and other networked equipment connect to the router/switch.

This is the smarter way to operate on these broadband connections anyway, especially thr cable networks which are swarming with script kiddies and thousands of zombie machines.

Most modern DSL modems have integrated routers, even if you connect them directly to the PC, so that won't be as much of a problem on that front.

It will be for the cable modem folks. I still think this is pretty minor though.

Just be careful that your static IPs are not in the DHCP pool (unless you excluded them from the Pool) otherwise you can get into IP conflict scenarios.

I just assigned all four things to a higher IP address that my router would never give out. It will give out about 30 IPs before it gets to the static IPs assigned to the printers and slingbox.

Most modern DSL modems have integrated routers, even if you connect them directly to the PC, so that won't be as much of a problem on that front.

It will be for the cable modem folks. I still think this is pretty minor though.

True, the ISPs are getting smarter about the equipment they are setting the average user up with.

I suspect the folks who have (1) PC, still running a PPPoE client locally, also aren't the type who'd be too interested in connecting their set-top ("huh ?? it's a computer too ??") to the "world wide web". :D

They may if/when there's external content only available through the net. Probably not for the mundane thing like IP callback.

I do hope that Dish will properly train CSRs about the network possibilities though. Could be a bear otherwise.

I don't know how well they're going to advertise this feature. If they don't advertise or talk about it, then maybe they'll save themselves the headache some. :)

This feature is "optional" in Dish's eyes so I wouldn't expect much in the way of support in hooking the receiver up to your home network. You can use it if you know how and choose to do it. Kinda like the cable or DSL support people not disallowing routers but they won't (officially) help you with them when you call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts