New $99 Roku player (Plays Netflix WatchNow!)

cebbigh: enjoy it is awesome, yes the increased speed will give you better pic quality, even the old black and white movies, look better :)

Hoping the PQ is close to DVD on the TV. The images I see online on my computer monitor look better than playing a DVD on my computer monitor! These boxes must be popular, there was a 2 week backlog when I ordered.

Glad I got mine as soon as it was announced. We are loving it and the PQ and SQ is just below what I consider dvd quality. Some titles are really crappy looking, but that is not service issues, it's just some stuff is old and never got taken care of well.

yeah i am glad i got mine when it first came out also, depending on your internet speed makes a difference in your pic quality, :)

I hesitated because my set up with Media Center 2004 didn't support the netflix online. Wound up adding RAM and going to Vista. Sure hope it doesn't take 6-8 weeks.

I was also short on HDMI ports. If anyone is interested Monoprice has a good deal on a powered 4 port HDMI switch w/remote:

For only $29.68 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X1 Enhanced Powered HDMI Switcher w/ Remote | Auto/Powered HDMI Switch

FYI you get the 29.68 price for ordering only 1 too. (the way the link reads is misleading)

I'll be all set when the Roku arrives. :)

My Roku arrived yesterday. I found it easy to set up although I had to go searching for some numbers for the wireless connection.

The PQ is ok and fits pretty much the description others have stated. I'd say it is comparable to watching an HD program over an Svideo connection. I have FIOS and agree speed does make a difference in PQ. I think this is going to be very popular with people who discovered they liked series after the programs were running for a while. And also old series. (got Heroes and Hitchcock and the original Outer Limits set and ready to go.)

Just wanted to say I did a side by side comparison of 2010 yesterday, Netflix PQ was just as good as my upconverted dvd PQ. I had been saying that netflix was just sub-dvd quality, but I'll take that comment back... gladly! :)

Speed is a huge factor. I had router troubles today and with only 2 bubbles lit instead of 4 the PQ was NOT good. After I rebooted the router all is well.

I'm going to try to boost my speed tomorrow from 5 to 10.

I get 4 bubbles on a 6meg connection so I don't know if 10 will be much difference other than you can do other internet while watching.

Verizon is apparently offering faster Fios speeds. I called to upgrade and went from 5/2 to 20/5 for an extra $10 per month.

I notice a big difference in the load times. Much faster. I also think I perceive better PQ but it might just be wishful thinking. Bring on the HD! :hungry:

cebbigh, I'm just curious, are you hardwired or wireless on your Roku player? I have not seen any reports from anyone running wireless.

letters from iwo jima

i watched the clint eastwood directed movie, from last year, i could not believe the pic quality on the player, and it was in surround sound, this is one awesome box. i love it !!! :)

i watched the clint eastwood directed movie, from last year, i could not believe the pic quality on the player, and it was in surround sound, this is one awesome box. i love it !!! :)

Apparently they have pushed some engineering changes. I found out because my Roku box was not able to connect to Netflix and I called the help number. The changes caused the connection problem on some (not all) boxes. The solution was simple, press the reset button at the back of the Roku box for 30 seconds.

After I reset, it seemed to me that the PQ was improved. Watching episodes of Hero's, it looked just as good to me as watching upconverted DVD. I'm not sure what they did on the engineering push but it looks like a plus move to me.

Has anyone else noticed that the level of black needs to be set a little lower on these boxes to get max PQ?

cool, good to know.

Since that reply, I have switched over to wired. I'm not sure that it works faster but decided to change because my wireless router needed a reboot a couple of times. So modifying the reply a little. If I didn't already have cat5 run to the TV, I wouldn't have bothered. Either way works fine. But if wired isn't a hastle, it might be better to go that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)