New Android Handsets Will Need “Powered By Android” Logo To Get Google Play, Gmail, Etc.

Jillian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Georgia USA
For better or worse, Samsung, HTC, and the rest of the Android manufacturing lot just looove to mess with the way Google’s OS looks and feels. So much so, in fact, that the OS sometimes stops looking like Android at all.

Seemingly annoyed by the lack of credit where credit is due, Google has started asking manufacturers to show a “Powered By Android” logo at startup.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/28/ne...by-android-logo-to-get-google-play-gmail-etc/

Last edited:
Before Samsung drastically improved Touchwiz or HTC some what improved Sense, I always rooted and went AOSP. Now I generally leave my phones as is. Many of the icons look the same, so the powered by Android is cool but not all that necessary.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Google says it is now necessary if they want access to the Google Play store , g-mail , Google now , and other Google goodies. I think Google is just protecting Android. It should have been doing this from day one.

I agree with Jillian. It is absolutely necessary when you asking someone if they have an Android phone theyvstare at you like you have grown a second head. To them it is a Galaxy Phone or a DROID phone or Optimus phone. They don't know they all run the same OS and it can be harmful to the platform.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I think that's fair. But I don't think it would do any good. I don't remember the last time I was looking at the screen the device is powering up or reset. I just reset and do other things for 1 minute or 2 and come back to the phone. It would be like those Intel sticker on the top of the computer or laptop. I think most people don't really see them. If you ask them if their computer is Intel or AMD, they wouldn't know!

Google says it is now necessary if they want access to the Google Play store , g-mail , Google now , and other Google goodies. I think Google is just protecting Android. It should have been doing this from day one.

You have to have a Google Account to get any of this stuff anyways ... I think it's much about nothing.

Android and Google are synonymous with one another.

Not really true. You can side load Google play (as Google points out with some limitations) and can use Google Mail with uncounted amount of third party applications. Obviously to have a Google email address you would need to be signed up for Google Mail but you would not need the phone to be attached to a Google account.

And the point is the opposite of what you are thinking - they want the logo for those NOT using anything Google which can be accomplished. Some phones have little that associates with Android including the start-up - my phone mentions nothing about it being an android device. (S4) It lets me know it's a Samsung - and S4, and AT&T. My past HTC did start with the Android screen. And unlike Apple nothing on the phone itself says Android.

I do agree I'm not sure how much is accomplished by the Android screen but I do understand they want some branding.

Last edited:
Not really true. You can side load Google play (as Google points out with some limitations) and can use Google Mail with uncounted amount of third party applications. Obviously to have a Google email address you would need to be signed up for Google Mail but you would not need the phone to be attached to a Google account.

And the point is the opposite of what you are thinking - they want the logo for those NOT using anything Google which can be accomplished. Some phones have little that associates with Android including the start-up - my phone mentions nothing about it being an android device. (S4) It lets me know it's a Samsung - and S4, and AT&T. My past HTC did start with the Android screen. And unlike Apple nothing on the phone itself says Android.

I do agree I'm not sure how much is accomplished by the Android screen but I do understand they want some branding.

I don't have a problem with it ...

As far as I'm concerned, you can't have an android without Google as they are the ones that built the OS.

For the most part...the tech-savvy people to whom it will have any meaning, already know it's Google. To the rest, it won't matter if the "credit" is there or not. :haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)