New AT9 Install Today - Pics!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cookpr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
I was a little curious as to what the installer would recommend for an install spot on our townhome.

We had an old 3lnb on a solid wood beam that ran by the window. Though they would throw it on the dining room roof bumpout, but the installer (who really seemed to know his stuff), put it up on the same beam. I thought these things need xtra support? It looks and feels solid, doesnt budge....

Just curious is this ideal?

Attachments

• DSC01349.JPG
    DSC01349.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC01350.JPG
    DSC01350.JPG
    658.5 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC01351.JPG
    DSC01351.JPG
    614 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Needs both monopoles. The problem is, where do you put them? Most installers are trained to avoid putting dishes into vinyl siding and monopoles would fit that profile. As long as there aren't any strong winds hitting the dish directly on the reflector it may be okay. Then again, that's a Cal Amp/Andrews mast and footplate so probably not. BTW, there's no sealant on the footplate. A dish mount around the trim board of a window is definitely something you want to have sealed.

The dish (as well as the original one) should have either gone on the roof (or the roof of the back porch) or on a p & c.

In the installer's defense, I honestly think he was just trying to use what was already there and avoid drilling any more holes in your home. God knows I've been there before and had use mounting locations only because someone else already "made the decision" for me.

Get the support arms on ASAP. Use a stud finder to locate one above the dish and one to the side and put a little mark there for the installer, one will run straight up from the corner of the window and there SHOULD be one 16 inches to the side.

Why are there only 3 lines running into the house from the ground block? And that is not weather proofed either. Bad install.

I repeatedly asked the installer if supports were needed....he said he had installed many before in the Chicago area like this...said supports/monopoles only really necessary when on a "exposed" roof that will take a beating from all sides in a heavy wind. He didnt seemed to worried given it was only haflway up a two story house and fairly protected. My association prefers the back wall mount, doesnt want all the holes punched in the roofs....

In defense of the installer on the 3 lines...yes, he should have done it, but I do not have and HD DVR yet, so he said that installer will do it when I get the MPEG 4 DVR (which he said should be out in 2 weeks in Chicago). Also said slimline is due early next year, but in reality, is still a pretty large dish, maybe 75% the size ofthe AT9 (his words).

Whats the best way to weatherproof the couplings?

And while large, not as big as I feared. I used to have an older Sony oval dish which was probably twice the size of the smaller dishes out there, so was not as big of a shock....

Will see if I get any complaints from the association....first AT9 up in the neighborhood...neighbor has the MPEG2 HD dish, bout' twice that size...

Hopefully we will get a few late Aug T-storms here in Chicago to "test" this puppy out....
Thanks

asousa said:
wow, the thing is massive....I am not looking forward to going to the 5...

I don't know why so many think that the H20 is so big. It's not that much bigger than a phase 3 dish. Maybe it's the extra lnb attached to the side that makes it look bigger.

He'd better put some support arms on that thing or its going to come off with a big wind gust. Especially with winter right aroung the corner!!!!

can't believe the "support arms" don't come with a dish that heavy............sold separately............bad design IMHO
yes I do have one, not put up due to that reason

VIPERS-PIT said:
Get the support arms on ASAP. Use a stud finder to locate one above the dish and one to the side and put a little mark there for the installer, one will run straight up from the corner of the window and there SHOULD be one 16 inches to the side.

Why are there only 3 lines running into the house from the ground block? And that is not weather proofed either. Bad install.

An installer isn't required to run no more lines that what is needed. Only 1 monopoles is needed when the base is mounted that way. Yeah the other guy put 3 for you but that doesn't mean everyone is supposed to.

Last edited:
you guys look at small stuff and missed something else.

4 lag screws holding the dish? The requirement is 6 for a wallmount, excluding the 1 monopole which requires 2.

All this weather proofing and stuff are non issues. ground block at the base of the dish. D* requirement.

Thanks guys. Always fun to get the varying opinions.

When I get the MPEG 4 DVR (hopoefully within a month) I will have that installer take a look at everything.

grydlock - you think me adding two more lag screws will provided more security?

cookpr said:
I was a little curious as to what the installer would recommend for an install spot on our townhome.

We had an old 3lnb on a solid wood beam that ran by the window. Though they would throw it on the dining room roof bumpout, but the installer (who really seemed to know his stuff), put it up on the same beam. I thought these things need xtra support? It looks and feels solid, doesnt budge....

Just curious is this ideal?

Did the pics miss something -- is the antenna and ground blocks grounded??
Won't survive here in Florida

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts