Please reply by conversation.

homerofwar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Saratoga Springs, NY
directvcedia3_lg.jpg

This was on display at DirecTV's 2009 CEDIA booth

Anyone have any information on these brand new boxes? New model? new hardware inside?

UPDATE: Ironically looks very simlar to the R16 https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/equipment/dvr_receiver

Last edited:
Looks like much of the same receiver with a front faceplace facelift.

They added a 1080p light. Otherwise looks about the same.

So are they going to finally do what Dish Network is doing and have one receiver do two rooms? I wonder if it will have still only have two tuners or if it will have four tuners (two per tv).

Direct actually had a Multiroom box just not a dvr. It was made by phillips I think the model was dsx5500, it did not come off well recieved.

Frankly I dont think they should put out a mutli room DVR till they can get there sh*t together.

HR22 and HR23 can still be very slow when doing simple tasks like downloading a on demand movie in the background or recording 2 shows while watching a third.

But if I were to design a box that was a multi room dvr it would have to be better then Dish networks.

A. 4 tunners a must which only means 2 lines would have to come in due to SWM.

B. Use Swm to back track the signal to trough the switch to another room but unlike dishes solution put a small interface device it does nothing other then takes the coax and then gives you a set of component/hdmi /rca ports. So you could have HDTV on the 2nd tv something dish dvr dont due.

C. Option for Tivo software - Because I just haven rubbed it in enough to charlie with the first two .

D. Full DLNA compliance. Both ways not just one. aka no more need for Direct2PC allow windows to protect the recordings with the built in rights management of DLNA.

now that would be a kick ass multiroom dvr

So are they going to finally do what Dish Network is doing and have one receiver do two rooms? I wonder if it will have still only have two tuners or if it will have four tuners (two per tv).

IF The two room recvr that DISH uses was so great, there would be many more recvr's coming out that do the same thing, as in Two rooms.

I think DISH still only has the one recvr that does that, so in my opinion it's not a BIG deal or high priority for EITHER company.

You get the occasional question about it in the forums, not dailey, so it's not a Big issue for subs either .....

I'm sure if it was a TIVO box, I'm sure "TIVO" would be plastered on it somewhere or at least a sign pointing it out.

Has anyone heard or found a model # on this unit ?

this looks like the multi room dvr model HR24 scott posted from directv insiders.com. they need to redesign the inside too if you know what i mean. :rant:

this looks like the multi room dvr model HR24 scott posted from directv insiders.com. they need to redesign the inside too if you know what i mean. :rant:
My guess is you will have to pay extra for it and they will strip MRV off of the other boxes.

I looks like the DirecTV guys have soem envy over the Dish Network 922 box as the front seem to look almost the same. I wonder if the front panel has the same touch feature.

Its good to see the look of the box getting and update... now if they would only update the look of their guide and menus.

I looks like the DirecTV guys have soem envy over the Dish Network 922 box as the front seem to look almost the same. I wonder if the front panel has the same touch feature.

Its good to see the look of the box getting and update... now if they would only update the look of their guide and menus.
IF ENVY IS WHAT IT TAKES FOR D* TO MAKE A BETTER DVR THEN THAT'S FINE WITH ME!

I would say it is the multiroom also since the TV in the picture says so.

922 extra features will end up in the garbage can right along with the copy of netscape that ran on the 721. And the missing eithernet jack on the 721/921 boxes.

Dish puts out amazing CES demos yet never follows through on them that is why I am not hoping for much when it comes out and I wont spend the money to replace my 722. ( I still keep a limited account with dish for another home I have )

the more non necessary things you add to the box like touch senstive panels the more it going to cost. Personally i liek the black r22 and hr2x seies it blends in well with my audio equipment and works with out issue.

No talk about ugly guide Dish has the worst. I alway loved my 7200 and my Ultimate TV guides which showed back up in the 721/921 this whole lets make everything blue junk makes me sick.

I disagree. I like my HR21 too but it's a bit far from the E* boxes especially in performance. they also have black units like the HR and the newer gui's from the vip622 and on are much better imo than D*s. the D* gui isn't the worst for sure but it isn't better or as good as the vip series.like it's been said many times before,D* needs to take advantage of the HD graphics for a much better gui. to me comcrap has one of the worse Gui's out there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts