New Broadband report out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Reactions: ncted
IMG_0855.JPG
fastest ISP where my folks live.

802.11ac 5GHz direct to the modem/router from about 3 feet away.
This would mean more if I didn't occasionally see people complaining about their Wi-fi speeds as compared to their broadband speed. I'm not a fan of Wi-fi as there are so many considerations that it makes an apples-to-apples comparison pretty much impossible to construct.

I recently had my new Fire Stick 4K sitting four feet from my router and it couldn't keep up a stream (even when using the supplied extension cable). I switched to 2.4GHz and the performance was better but still buffered. I have nothing connected to the 5GHz side of my router and on the 2.4GHz side I have an Echo, an Ecobee thermostat (Alexa built-in) and an Android tablet (none of them were actively doing something during the test).

Now my Fire Stick is outfitted with the Ethernet adapter and I'm not looking back.

I'm not suggesting that measurements must be made at the modem, but I give less credibility to data coming via Wi-fi connections.

This would mean more if I didn't occasionally see people complaining about their Wi-fi speeds as compared to their broadband speed. I'm not a fan of Wi-fi as there are so many considerations that it makes an apples-to-apples comparison pretty much impossible to construct.

I recently had my new Fire Stick 4K sitting four feet from my router and it couldn't keep up a stream (even when using the supplied extension cable). I switched to 2.4GHz and the performance was better but still buffered. I have nothing connected to the 5GHz side of my router and on the 2.4GHz side I have an Echo, an Ecobee thermostat (Alexa built-in) and an Android tablet (none of them were actively doing something during the test).

Now my Fire Stick is outfitted with the Ethernet adapter and I'm not looking back.

I'm not suggesting that measurements must be made at the modem, but I give less credibility to data coming via Wi-fi connections.

There could be a problem with the wi-fi on the Router/Modem at their house, for sure. That said, that is pretty much the speeds everyone in town gets, albeit probably all with the same or similar modem hardware. Compared to the 6Mb DSL from Frontier that is the alternative, people are happy with what they get from Spectrum, although not necessarily what they pay. It was completely usable while I was there for everything I did, including streaming Netflix and Prime video. The speed test just showed less than advertised speeds. I should have done a DSL Reports speediest as well, but I didn't remember until right before I left for the airport to go home, so I ran out of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)