New Carbon Interface on Hopper with Sling - positives and negatives

I'm curious, which line of receivers have gotten interface changes (similar to the original Hopper software to the CUI software) ?
The ones I remember are the old 3800 and 4700 receivers, that were updated to 3900 and 4900, respectively. Also, the interface on the 301 changed to make it look like the interface on the 501, but that was more of a cosmetic change. (display banner at the top of the screen, browse banner, etc.)

The ones I remember are the old 3800 and 4700 receivers, that were updated to 3900 and 4900, respectively. Also, the interface on the 301 changed to make it look like the interface on the 501, but that was more of a cosmetic change. (display banner at the top of the screen, browse banner, etc.)
I should also add that Dish changed the interface on the models of DVR that Tivo sued them about. In that case, the interface looked the same, it just functioned differently.

Fourth day into my new supposedly stable and all worked out CUI....black screen. RBR. Used the update option on the hard to find "tools" screen... updated to U235 and...... box froze up the first time i used the swap button. RBR.... gave up on live tv, tried Pandora, box froze. RBR
As i said in earlier post. if my 87 year old dad wasn't used to the channels and crap i would move on. And as i said i paid for 12$ per box to go back to the HWS and its old (Usable,Simple, Intuitive... UI.)
Sorry about the "stupid or deluded" crack but Damn. tv should be easy and simple but the forced CUI adds two or three button pushes from what was an easy one button push.
As my daughter asks why im cussing at the TV.....i tell her Dish used to be awesome. they listened, remember the charlie chats? Now the are like the goverment. They dont listen to a damn word we say. They will do what they want and tell us were stupid if we tell how stupid their methods are.

Reactions: Jim S.
Well, now I've had the tiny video screen at the top left problem, and the black screen problem.

I think most users will see these problems, and others.

How did Dish allow the release of this version?

I can understand their abandoning certain features (which I DON'T agree with), but to have so many flaws in it? This is WAY WORSE than any previous S/W release I can recall. And I started with a couple of 301s!

I can now confirm my hike in HDD space in use was due to PTAT auto on after upgrade.

Still seems like a possible bug. Sure, it was set to 8 days, but it only had 2-3 days worth. It was a good bit, but jumping from 30% in use to 70% just seems odd after that time unless... it was adjusting for 8 days & reserving the HDD space. Maybe a new "feature." Deleting the shows didn't fix the percentage. Had to wait for overnight update.

Either way, sitting at 25% full now. Issue was related to upgrade.

Reactions: littlecloud319
I'm curious, which line of receivers have gotten interface changes (similar to the original Hopper software to the CUI software) ?
While not as drastic as a complete interface change for all of the receiver's functionality, I will also point out that the interface for Dish Home (channel 100) changed at least a couple of times on the older receivers.

People use that ?
Well, not as much lately. I just think it is funny that the last interface change added a "favorites" button at the top of the screen, so you can set up shortcuts to your five favorite apps, and then Dish proceeded to remove most of the apps, so it is hard to even come up with that many that are worth setting up as "favorites." Most of the apps that are left already have their own separate channel number or menu option to go directly there without needing Dish Home at all.

Who said it was "stable" and "all worked out"? No one has, including Dish. Just because it gets released doesn't mean it's ready.
And they've been working on this CUI for how long? More than two years it seems and it's still not stable? Having it for almost a month now makes me wish I had S245 back.

People are complaining on Dish's facebook page that the CUI is too slow, and Dish is acting like it's a customer-specific problem. What idiocy!

They are "reporting" these issues to "engineering" too ;)

If there's an actual trouble ticket, the engineering group no doubt closes the ticket and marks it "Known issue - no resolution at current time".

Let me start this post saying im SO SICK of this new update.

I haven't been really active in this forum since I was a dish newbie, 2 years ago or so. I loved dish. Coming from cable I thought my Hws and super joey were out of this world cool. Really didn't mind playing my bill each month! Now I'm beyond frustrated. I have lag, like everyone else, and miss some of the old features or button shortcuts.

My number one issue now though I don't see others talk about. My dvr recordings get "cut off" or stop about 25-30 minutes in for an hour show maybe 30% of the time for an hour long recording. Only seems to happen on non prime time shows. Or I recorded a 3 hour baseball game and the recording stops maybe an hour in. Or like today I set a timer for the home run derby hours before it's started, it's records the show, but when I watch it it's just a black screen with no sound. I can fast forward the whole 3 hour recording but it's just black. This recording issue happens often enough that it's becoming a big issue.

Question: will the Hopper 3 make all my problems go away? Does the lag issue go away? Will it be at least as snappy as my hws with old update felt?

What about my recording issues I'm guessing hopper 3 will make this go away too?

My wife is the primary on the account and she hates the idea of signing a new 2 year contract. She feels like dish should fix our current boxes or give us hopper 3 boxes with no new contract. I know how cable companies work and I know that dish customer service won't do anything to help my experience other then tell me to reset the box. I can also figure that dish won't give us hopper 3 boxes with no contract extension. So I'm just at a loss at what to do, don't want the wife to freak out.

So I did a Search on a program name from an ad. No hits. So I was going to tell it to record anything with that name just like I was able to do last week. Nope. No option to do this. You MUST pick from a list.

So- has name based recording gone away or am I missing something?

So I did a Search on a program name from an ad. No hits. So I was going to tell it to record anything with that name just like I was able to do last week. Nope. No option to do this. You MUST pick from a list.

I found your solution: https://goo.gl/rgJagF

B'tard! :D

It does seem like too many of the nice little touches they built in over the years have gone away, perhaps never to be seen again.

Here is another one I found last night (not sure if others have reported this or not). When you record a show, if you have not yet watched it, when you select that show's icon, you are not given the choice to delete it. You can only watch it. In order to erase the show, you have to watch it first; only then are you given the choice to delete it! Not sure if that is a bug or one of the "new features" of the CUI, but in my opinion, it is another very bad decision.

In all seriousness, I believe there's still a way to do it but I'm not in front of my receiver to do it. You can still create a "Seek" timer or whatever they call it. It is a bit more convoluted to find it when you search for something though.

Reactions: navychop
Here is another one I found last night (not sure if others have reported this or not). When you record a show, if you have not yet watched it, when you select that show's icon, you are not given the choice to delete it. You can only watch it. In order to erase the show, you have to watch it first; only then are you given the choice to delete it! Not sure if that is a bug or one of the "new features" of the CUI, but in my opinion, it is another very bad decision.

You can delete directly from the DVR list using the Recall button on the 52.0 remote and the Blue button on the 40.0 remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)