New Carbon Interface on Hopper with Sling - positives and negatives

You won't get a Hopper 3 for free and no contract, that's for sure!
Not to be a jerk, well I guess I'm just at my wits ends, but after my long post about problems all I get is a reply that I won't get a free box? Then the conversation goes back to the freaking search problem? Thanks for your help!

Let me start this post saying im SO SICK of this new update.

I haven't been really active in this forum since I was a dish newbie, 2 years ago or so. I loved dish. Coming from cable I thought my Hws and super joey were out of this world cool. Really didn't mind playing my bill each month! Now I'm beyond frustrated. I have lag, like everyone else, and miss some of the old features or button shortcuts.

My number one issue now though I don't see others talk about. My dvr recordings get "cut off" or stop about 25-30 minutes in for an hour show maybe 30% of the time for an hour long recording. Only seems to happen on non prime time shows. Or I recorded a 3 hour baseball game and the recording stops maybe an hour in. Or like today I set a timer for the home run derby hours before it's started, it's records the show, but when I watch it it's just a black screen with no sound. I can fast forward the whole 3 hour recording but it's just black. This recording issue happens often enough that it's becoming a big issue.

Question: will the Hopper 3 make all my problems go away? Does the lag issue go away? Will it be at least as snappy as my hws with old update felt?

What about my recording issues I'm guessing hopper 3 will make this go away too?

My wife is the primary on the account and she hates the idea of signing a new 2 year contract. She feels like dish should fix our current boxes or give us hopper 3 boxes with no new contract. I know how cable companies work and I know that dish customer service won't do anything to help my experience other then tell me to reset the box. I can also figure that dish won't give us hopper 3 boxes with no contract extension. So I'm just at a loss at what to do, don't want the wife to freak out.

The issues come from updating a hopper 1,2,3,etc from the old software weather it came from dish with the old software or you already had it with old software. So, basically yes the hopper 3 should fix your issues as it never had the old software. If you call to get a HWS replacement you would have to hope for a “newer” one that didn’t have the old software. I would suggest just going with the first option but the later would work if you email executivecustomerservice@dish.com and ask for a HWS that never had the Sxxx software on it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not to be a jerk, well I guess I'm just at my wits ends, but after my long post about problems all I get is a reply that I won't get a free box? Then the conversation goes back to the freaking search problem? Thanks for your help!

Uhhh, I have no obligation to answer your questions at all.

As for the search related discussions, is everyone supposed to STOP everything and silver your concerns? Good luck with that.

In all seriousness, I believe there's still a way to do it but I'm not in front of my receiver to do it. You can still create a "Seek" timer or whatever they call it. It is a bit more convoluted to find it when you search for something though.

Please share. I've just gone thru it and can't find seek/name based.

Not sure if all of HWS will upgrade to u235. Im on U234 since May. When i select the "upgrade software", it doesn't say "you have the latest software"(correct) and goes thru rebooting, acquiring signal, etc. However, after all of that, it still shows i am on u234.
Not sure why the upgrade doesn't take. Tried this at least 3 times in the last week. Usually when i have the latest software and hit upgrade, it says "you have the latest software." Not sure what the problem is?

I'm checking.... and nothing so far.... If you search for a program and get NO hits, I see no option to watch or "seek" a program that airs in the future. I don't remember now.

Related to this (but no help): I searched "moon" and picked "Moonshiners" from the list. The Hopper has the show in it's "database", as it gives a summary of the show. There's no upcoming episodes though. On the Summary page, there's a button labeled "Don't Record". What the **** is that for ?

Reactions: littlecloud319
I'm checking.... and nothing so far.... If you search for a program and get NO hits, I see no option to watch or "seek" a program that airs in the future. I don't remember now.

Related to this (but no help): I searched "moon" and picked "Moonshiners" from the list. The Hopper has the show in it's "database", as it gives a summary of the show. There's no upcoming episodes though. On the Summary page, there's a button labeled "Don't Record". What the **** is that for ?

So they can “force” us to record “promoted” shows

Dish has off and on, since long before I signed up, placed certain programming on our DVRs. Sometimes you have to wait a while before deleting.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So they can “force” us to record “promoted” shows
Uhhh, no.....

Actually, I figured out why it said that for this particular show: I have a timer for "Moonshiners". I hit the "Don't Record" button and it brought up a dialog box asking something like "do you want to delete the timer for "Moonshiners"?" or similar wording. I need to try again with a show that I do NOT have a timer for and see what buttons appear.

Dish has off and on, since long before I signed up, placed certain programming on our DVRs. Sometimes you have to wait a while before deleting.
As far as I know, Dish has not done any of those forced "promo" recordings for more than a year. Last April, I had a deactivated ViP722k with a white G4 Smart Card, which normally does not get free preview channels. (It still works for OTA channels, though.) When Dish did a forced recording to promote the then-upcoming HBO / Cinemax free preview, it authorized all of the free satellite-delivered channels (free previews, shopping channels, etc.) on this receiver. (The forced recording came from one of the PPV Sports channels which otherwise would have been red in the guide.) The free channels stayed authorized until a week after the HBO / Cinemax preview ended, and then they de-authorized again. Dish has not done any forced recordings on any of my DVRs (activated or deactivated) since then. I guess Dish doesn't want to risk accidentally authorizing the free channels, even temporarily, on receivers that are not supposed to get them.

At least a year sounds right to me too.

Some people didn't handle them doing this very well though. Like it was some travesty or something.... Pfffft, I just deleted it and moved on.
For the short recordings, it was no big deal. For a short while, Dish was (accidentally?) forcing recordings of entire hour-long episodes of certain shows from the premium packages. I could see that causing a problem if someone was running low on hard drive space, and lost one of their recordings because it was automatically deleted to make room for the unplanned recording. The promos of entire episodes later moved to Dish Studio, where they are not set up as forced recordings.

I don't recall anything like hour-long recordings, just short 5-7 minute promos of something or other.

Also, if someone's hard drive was that close to full, they'd have stuff auto-deleted on a daily basis with their own recordings. Plus, who keeps track that closely to know something got deleted (by Dish too) ? I call bull**** on their claims. Mind you, I've seen/read them here myself in the past but paid them little attention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts