New channels In June?

so i just took a look at the voom stations and i must say cv is definitely getting this. wanna know why? there is nothing on it. horse jumping?...quote]

I think you are wrong about the voom suite of channels... You will find that they are a welcome addition to the HD line up. They offer programming not found anywhere and different. Give it a chance and you will learn to appreciate... do not judge based on one viewing or simply just take a look at the HD programming forum and you will notice that there is more than just horse jumping....;)

as stated in the guide as of July 17th the Golf channel will be discontinued on ch.160 (ct.) & only available on ch.410 & 719... so with another channel change :) & the addition of the VOOM channels this month hopefully we'll get even more later this year

Last edited:
Cable Operator Aims at DirecTV with Addition of Voom HD Networks

By Mike Farrell -- Multichannel News, 6/21/2007 11:14:00 AM

Cablevision Systems said Thursday that it reached a deal with its Voom HD Networks unit to provide 15 of its HD channels to Cablevision’s iO: Interactive Optimum digital customers June 26, boosting its HD lineup to 40 channels.

The company also said that by the end of the year, Cablevision will have the capacity to carry as many as 500 HD channels over its fiber-optic network -- a clear response to direct-broadcast satellite giant DirecTV’s claims that it will soon have 150 HD channels, more than three times the capacity of most cable operators.

In a prepared statement, Cablevision said it reached an agreement with Voom -- part of its Rainbow Media Holdings programming unit -- to carry HD feeds such as HD News, Monsters HD (horror movies), Rush HD (adventure sports), WorldSport HD (live sports coverage from around the world), Family Room HD (family-friendly movies, series and specials), King Fu HD (martial arts) and World Cinema HD (award-winning movies from around the globe.

The Voom package will be part of Cablevision’s free HD service. According to the cable operator, it has deployed more than 1 million HD set-top boxes to customers, and it had 734,000 HD customers as of March 31 -- an 85% increase in HD customers over the previous year.

The Voom networks are already available on EchoStar Communications’ Dish Network HD offering. While Voom is being offered to other cable operators, as well, Cablevision and EchoStar are its only current customers.

This could change, Rainbow CEO Josh Sapan said in an interview.

“I think this [deal] is an indication that Voom is a sensible product for the time,” Sapan said.

Voom, the brainchild of Cablevision founder and chairman Charles Dolan, was the source of some friction between Dolan and his son, Cablevision CEO James Dolan, in 2005. After a contentious battle, the Dolans agreed to sell Voom’s satellite to EchoStar that year, scrapping its plans to launch its own separate HD satellite service and offer its programming to cable and satellite operators.

This could be good news for E* subscribers as well. Maybe this means Voom will push for more new programming and a few less repeats??

Voom is about to become completely irrelevant once all of the mainstream channels start to go HD in the next year. I know everyone can argue the value of their commercial free content. But really if the way SD channels flattened out, Voom and HDNet channels will eventually go away once HD becomes mainstream and operators no longer feel the need to pay out to pad their HD quantity. So these niche channels will lose out to more profitable (and less enjoyable) commercial operated channels.

I can't believe we are getting VOOM for free. I thought for sure it would be a pay tier. While this is nice we still need some of the other HD channels that are out there.

so i just took a look at the voom stations and i must say cv is definitely getting this. wanna know why? there is nothing on it. horse jumping? seriously. why is cv so far behind, its not like they are some tiny cable company. also found out no fios in brooklyn, ny where i am for atleast 2 years. first gonna do all of nj. now i gotta move to nj!

I have E* and spend at least a 1/3 of my total TV viewing hours watching the Voom channels. Voom may be an acquired taste, and perhaps not really for the lowest common denominator, but I'm glad I acquired the taste for it. Equator is equal to (and prob better) than NatGraph. Filmfest shows really cool indie-type films. "The Art of the Heist' (on Gallery) is prob one of the best crime investigation shows i've ever seen. Rave shows pretty good concerts, and i find myself 'watching' it a lot. I'm not much into Kung-fu or horror films , but for those who are, boy does Voom have you covered. There's pretty much something for everyone accross the 15 channels, and its commercial-free.

Anyway, Voom might be for those types who tend to appreciate PBS, and i know that's not everyone, but for me, I'm in a panic that I wont have a LOS to keep E* at the new condo i'm moving to later this year. I can only pray i do have a LOS, and if not, that Time Warner picks up Voom.

Amazing how it took them about 3 years to 'make an agreement with THEIR OWN COMPANY and realize the value' of THEIR OWN PRODUCTS. Just more corporate spin for feeling the heat of competion IMO.

ANd I'm thinking (since I live within the CABLEVISION home market), and get innundated with FiOS mailings and ads EVERYWHERE (including the trains, etc.), this is more a move against Verizon than DirecTV.

Before 15 HD channels were a waste of space for a cable company less then 1% of their customer had HD.

Now however many are getting HD. I read somewhere yesterday that the majority of new TV's being sold are 50 inches are larger.

People are going to want their HD so now is the time to gear up and give it to them.

HD is almost no longer a niche product. :)

More HD... is welcome.... This is very positive in every direction... Next step will be to add the mainstream channels and I believe Cablevision will be there when the time comes to do so.

Before 15 HD channels were a waste of space for a cable company less then 1% of their customer had HD.

Now however many are getting HD. I read somewhere yesterday that the majority of new TV's being sold are 50 inches are larger.

People are going to want their HD so now is the time to gear up and give it to them.

HD is almost no longer a niche product. :)

Exactly, 25% of Cablevision's subs have HDTV's, hence the push for more HD. Especially when we are the subs that are paying $100/ mo for TV and also have their internet and phone service. With our total bills with CV being $150 a month and up they need to keep us happy so we don't go elsewhere.

this is what all the build-up was about?

i can only hope that a handful of the "500" channels that are "on the way" are on the way *soon*, and that contained therein are real networks that are worth having.

voom=lame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)