New Channels

Scott,

Do you know if they have enough space on Rainbow 1 to add all these new channels ? Could that be what the little delay is ?

I believe the issue is they are waiting for Motorola to update the channel map on the receivers. :)

Yes Rainbow 1 can handle them. These new Harmonic Encoders are really cool :D

Other than finding the new channels by clicking around, I guess the easiest way would be to check System Status and see if the number of satellite channels has changed. Right?

1080iBeVuMin said:
Other than finding the new channels by clicking around, I guess the easiest way would be to check System Status and see if the number of satellite channels has changed. Right?
That's what I do. But realistically, I expect to hear about the new channels being added by logging on to SatGuys and seeing yet another "new channels" thread, but one trumpeting their arrival.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I believe the issue is they are waiting for Motorola to update the channel map on the receivers. :)

Thanks, Scott. I am anxiously waiting the new channels. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Since that's the only issue, I'm sure they wouldn't mind you posting channel names and numbers, Scott. ;) :) ;)

Scott Greczkowski said:

So far I dislike the new encoders. It's been 2 weeks now and the picture quality still sucks. When is Voom going to get someone that knows what they are doing to tweak these encoders? If what we have now is what we are going to have to live with, then I wish Voom would go back to the old encoders. The new ones aren't cool, they suck.

I'm still waiting and wondering on this answer, as well as what my opinions may be when I get re-installed. My participation in the VoOm forum is largely going off very limited prior experience to HD, and faith, up to this point! But the faith is strong based on the somewhat limited facts that can be verified regarding VoOm's future potential, and my experience (while still very limited) with HD has grown, thanks to this website...so I'm trying my best to be patient...but IT ISN'T EASY for me!!! :D :D

That was a very nice try, who the...but YOU know how Scott has to be...he's got lotsa answers...but his lip is zipped until it's appropriate to divulge...damn, damn, damn.... :D

His silence on particulars, following some general clues (occasionally...pretty transparent joking), gives this supporter courage to face whatever is going to happen next! I hope more newbies watch here, but if not, I will be watching, and will carry it back to the VoOm News & Development forum as soon as I see news, if you don't beat me to it! :D Wish I were presently in a position to catch some news on my own! :)
Vicki

Vicki said:
I'm still waiting and wondering on this answer, as well as what my opinions may be when I get re-installed.

When is your re-install again?
I had a guy from American Satellite no show me three times, so I called VOOM and complained. They sent out another guy who called a few days before my appointment, confirmed everything, then worked around my crazy schedule to make things work. Real nice guy too. He is working on getting me a 24" dish. Anyways, before I ramble too far off topic, let me know if you have any issues and I can give you think guy's name and contact info. Perhaps you could request him if your guy flakes...

Regarding the channels... I will keep scanning and let ya know...

ram1220 said:
So far I dislike the new encoders. It's been 2 weeks now and the picture quality still sucks. When is Voom going to get someone that knows what they are doing to tweak these encoders? If what we have now is what we are going to have to live with, then I wish Voom would go back to the old encoders. The new ones aren't cool, they suck.
The new encoders were all already "tweaked" before VOOM went on the air to provide you the highest quality PQ. Over the past 6-12 months VOOM has been slowly and I do mean slowly changing the encoders and tweaking them one at a time, one channel at a time, so that you wouldn't be experiencing what your experiencing now. However, I do believe that this was a haste job in order to get the rest of the channels on the new encoders so that they could add the new channels. Now instead of tweaking one channel at a time and you guys never even noticing it, they've got what 20+ channels to worry bout and all of you guys are noticing it. This is to be expected. Since I can not do it, will someone create a thread stating which channels are still affected by lack of pq, pixel and etc... that way we can all follow along how the engineers are doing to get this situation resolved. Also, Scott is right the encoders are cool. There are probably by my guess a cople of channels that are not effected by this situation because they are on the encoders and they have already be "tweaked". If you look at posts several months ago with various members talking about the new encoders you'll see that their pq actually went up.

danielle_s said:
The new encoders were all already "tweaked" before VOOM went on the air to provide you the highest quality PQ. Over the past 6-12 months VOOM has been slowly and I do mean slowly changing the encoders and tweaking them one at a time, one channel at a time, so that you wouldn't be experiencing what your experiencing now. However, I do believe that this was a haste job in order to get the rest of the channels on the new encoders so that they could add the new channels. Now instead of tweaking one channel at a time and you guys never even noticing it, they've got what 20+ channels to worry bout and all of you guys are noticing it. This is to be expected. Since I can not do it, will someone create a thread stating which channels are still affected by lack of pq, pixel and etc... that way we can all follow along how the engineers are doing to get this situation resolved. Also, Scott is right the encoders are cool. There are probably by my guess a cople of channels that are not effected by this situation because they are on the encoders and they have already be "tweaked". If you look at posts several months ago with various members talking about the new encoders you'll see that their pq actually went up.

With all due respect Vooms encoders havent been delivering the highest quality HD since around February 2003 before BravoHD, TNTHD and ESPNHD were added. SInce that time it hasnt been up to the HD found on E* but it has been better than D*'s.

New Encoders went live 3/2/05 and there is still improvements to be made which they are still working on. Especially during motion. Bandwith is only one variable in which you can tweak the encoders. There various types of filtering to tweak. They haven't stopped working on it and it is not the only thing they are working on but certainly they haven't stopped doing so. Keep putting your inputs in the "feedback thread" in the development forum. They are reading your comments whether good or bad. But try to be as specific as possible and not to generalize.

danielle_s said:
(snip)Since I can not do it, will someone create a thread stating which channels are still affected by lack of pq, pixel and etc... that way we can all follow along how the engineers are doing to get this situation resolved.(snip)
Danielle, I think the thread has been going for a while. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=55293

Andrew B...at this point, suffice it to say that I'm betwixt and between...My original install was 2/22, it was delayed to 2/28, delayed to 3/5, delayed to 3/11, and currently in limbo. The delays are due in part to my insistence of getting it ALL done right the next time. I was a prior subscriber. The current standing is that I need to get back on a couple of people’s a$$e$, and just haven’t taken the time since last Thursday. I’ve got my screaming time for them scheduled for Monday. I think it’s headed for the right track, but will apparently have to stand behind everyone on one foot, to insure it eventually happens. I’ll post a full recap in Installation when it’s resolved…warts and all. In the meantime, I’d very much appreciate if you could PM me the info on your installer! Thanks! :D

Anyway...Should I assume that no new channels showed up last night, or did I miss it somewhere...haven't scoured other threads yet. :)

Vicki