new to voom looking for local hd channels

rver11

Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
I am a newbie. I just bought a motorola voom reciever off of ebay.I am having trouble getting the reciever to lock onto any local channels.When I go into the systems menu and aim the antenna I get a strong signal on channels 24 and 35 signal of 95 and 99 on each but when i scan for local channels the reciever does not lock onto any channels.i live in the Oklahoma City,OK area and have software ver.2.4c on the reciever.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, rver11!
The first thing to do is to check places like www.antennaweb.org to see what kind of channels (and corresponding RF numbers) you can expect at your street address. It will also provide suggestions about the type of antenna you might need to receive them.

I have checked with antennaweb and did get the corresponding rf numbers .The antenaae i am using is the wynnegaurd that came with the unit. I have left the diplixer attached to the reciever becasuse this antennae needs power,i think.If I have a sisnal strength of over 90 on a couple of stations the reciever should lock on .am I correct ?

I think that you should remove the diplexer as you are not combining sat with ota signals. And if I remember correctly, the antenna is powered directly from the box.

Actually it is powered from the box, but only via diplexer. If you remove it, you will need a power supply.

rver11 said:
If I have a sisnal strength of over 90 on a couple of stations the reciever should lock on .am I correct ?
If the box is not from your area (doesn't have your Super-DMA map), then it will only lock on these channels if they are digital and are sending correct PSIP data (station Name/ID).

I have put a new channel master antenna.model # 3020 and it looks like my signal strength is very good.when iI go into the aim antenna menu I get a 99 readinf on 8 stations but when I scan it will not lock on.

sorry about my typing.When I run the scan for channels the green bar pauses at every channel I am supposed to get but does not lock on.after the scan it shows 0 cannels found .when I go back into aim menu it list parsed PSIP data 1tbd1 2tbd2 3tbd3 4tbd4 5tbd5 6tbt6 7tbd7 8tbd8 9tbd9 On the bottom it says last 4 of 10 parsed PSIP data found . I have no idea what this means.

PSIP information.....

Voom prior to shutdown released a final version of its software. In the new software, there was a feature that would allow them to activate PSIP data features for each receiver so that you could get guide data and channel information by simply tuning in each local channel. Since this was never enabled by Voom, we have no guide data information for locals, and any PSIP information read into the receiver is not viewable to the user. I think the Tbd1, Tbd2, etc, means "to be displayed". If you are getting 99% signal quality, you might be getting too much signal strength. Try putting an attenuator between the antenna and the receiver. I've heard that too much signal is just as bad as having either multipath or not even enough signal to scan the channel in. If it's not the signal strength, it could be on the stations' end. Maybe they might have corrupted PSIP data being transmitted?

Missing PSIP would explain not getting some of the channels, but if you are getting none - this is really strange...

if you got ripped off,

i still have 21 voom irds that were active, i can test them and YOU pay shipping, you can have one.

still.....these were the buggiest irds i have ever seen, typical morotola.

as i said, you want one you can have it, serious.

send me a PM

rvr11, did you hit ok after you locked on the station? seems to me i did that after i locked onto a channel. then hit back and it showed that channel # and signal strength.

rver11 said:
I may sound stupid ,but what is an irds ?
IRD=STB=Receiver=the Box... ;)

(IRD actually stands for Integrated Receiver Decoder)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)