New Comcast HD Commercial

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hi,

I'm not trying to start some sort of awful flame thread but I saw a new Comcast commercial (saw a different one a few months ago) tonight stating again that Comcast had more HD than any satellite provider. Problem is, at least according to their website in our area, they just flat out don't. What are they using to justify this? Are they counting the fact that they offer locals in HD in many areas or is it just an outright lie? I'm honestly just curious how they can legally make this claim, I'm not making any statements re: their service one way or the other.

What do you think?

EDIT: The war zone specifically said it was for satellite rather than cable so I posted this here, however, if it would be more appropriate elsewhere, please feel free to move it accordingly.

Hard to say, since COMCAST has different offerings in different communities.

They do have the locals advantage over satellite. They are allowed to carry significantly viewed locals from adjacent markets. They are generally more aggressive in carrying non-network locals in HD.

They have made a commitment to greatly increase national HD this year. My local Comcast has announced 22 new HD channels will be turned on this month. Add this to the dozen that were already there, and Comcast is ahead of DISH (excluding Voom) and on a par with DTV in the HD feeds that people actually watch.

I believe that the satellite companies are helping to keep cable honest by providing meaningful competition. Given that, I expect that offerings are going to stay pretty even between the three providers in a given area.

Cable will always have the advantage in carrying local interest programming. Satellite will always have the advantage in carrying niche programming where a large national base is necessary to justify the investment. This includes most international programming and sports packages.

If you see this ad again can you see if they say we have more HD "channels" than satellite or do they say they have more HD "choices" than satellite. If they said choices than Comcast "can" included all HD On Demand titles. If you add all the HD On Demand "choices" along with the current average linear HD lineup and put them together I bet that Comcast does have more HD choices. But if they said HD "channels" this would be a lie as "no" Comcast market has more total HD channels as DirecTV does and as such is a lie and I'd report them for it just to level the playing field.

I however have this feeling this ad like all the ones before it said HD "choices" and not channels.

Yeah Newer Comcast ads plug the choices vs channels, as they like to push their HD ondemand offerings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts