New Cookware Recomendations

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
I'm looking to replace a set of my old Cuisinart Anodized pans. The finish is starting to come off and I've noticed black bits in food. (not good).

With that said, I'm looking to go stainless. I already have a stainless stockpot (8 quart) and a few non stick pans for eggs and or fish. I'll most likely be looking to purchase a few individual pans (saute' pan, sauce pan and chefs skillet).

Anyone have recommendations?

I can't help.....most of my pans have seen much better days. If you don't have/use a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, I highly recommend it. I use mine more than anything else.

I can't help.....most of my pans have seen much better days. If you don't have/use a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, I highly recommend it. I use mine more than anything else.

Yeah, I do have a 12" Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. It does get a lot of use, but cast iron is "reactive material", so it can't be used for all applications.

I'd love to get some All-Clad pans, but those are very expensive. Anyone try the "Sur La Table" brand stainless pans?

It depends on how serious of a cook you are. If I were to purchase stainless cookware again, it would be Mauviel M'Cook.

Costco has a "starter set" for $599.
Costco - Mauviel 9-piece Cookware Set

I have about 15 pieces of All-Clad Stainless, but I wont buy it again. That being said, the new All-Clad d5 is quite an improvement over the old Stainless.

Im slowly replacing my All-Clad with Mauviel M'Heritage (solid copper). I say slowly becuase its quite expensive, so I only buy 2-3 pieces a year.

There's a tie for most used pan/pot in my kitchen:

11" Mauviel Skillet
img28m.jpg

7.25 qt Le Creuset Round French Oven
4168GYWGGDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Steven, to answer your question, I'm a very serious cook. The wife and I cook meals from scratch on a daily basis. :)

In addition to the everyday stainless pans I'm looking for, a nice enameled based skillet would be nice for a quick braise and pan made sauce. I know Le Creuset is king in the enamel world, but like All-Clad, they're expensive as hell.

Has anyone tried the Lodge enameled saute' pan? (I already have a CI/enamel lined dutch oven for stews/soups). They offer a 11" skillet with a 1-3/4" depth for $60. I could probably find one for even cheaper on Amazon. This would probably be a better material to braise on and make pan sauces than with stainless, right?

%7B125A0345-B422-417F-A829-20A968C723B2%7D_EC11S33-EC11S53.jpg

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=color&idProduct=4103

Check out the executive cookware from The Pampered Chef. My wife is an executive director with them, and as a result, we have pretty much everything they have - and their cookware is awesome. Not cheap, but extremely good stuff. PM me if you want a link to their product-line.

Has anyone tried the Lodge enameled saute' pan? (I already have a CI/enamel lined dutch oven for stews/soups). They offer a 11" skillet with a 1-3/4" depth for $60. I could probably find one for even cheaper on Amazon. This would probably be a better material to braise on and make pan sauces than with stainless, right?

I have several Lodge "standard" cast iron pieces, but I have not personally used their enameled line. Cooks Illustrated/Americas Test Kitchen gave them very favorable reviews though.

I have never paid full price for a single piece of Le Creuset. We have an outlet store in Allen (just north of Dallas/Plano). Their prices are good to start, but several times a year they send out coupons for up to 35% off. I paid $205 for a 13 quart French Oven ($399 at Amazon) last year. Almost everything in the store is considered a "second", but I dig through the stacks and find two perfect pieces (pan and lid) and carry it to the counter. They will "second" a whole pot even if just the lid has a chip in it or something. So, just dig around and find a perfect lid and you are good to go. Several years ago Amazon used to run incredible deals on Le Creuset. I got a 7.25 qt and a 14" stoneware baker for $75 TOTAL!

Just subscribed to a "free" trial of Cooks Illustrated. In it, America's Test Kitchen outlines the "ideal a la carte cookware set." The following pieces are what they recommend every kitchen should have....

12" Stainless Skillet (All-Clad)
10" Nonstick Satute Pan (Inexpensive brand as non-stick pans don't last forever)
12" Cast Iron Skillet (Lodge)
2 quart Stainless Sauce Pan (All-Clad)
4 quart Stainless Sauce Pan (All-Clad)
7.25 quart Cast Iron, Enameled French Oven (Le Creuset)
12 quart Stainless Stockpot (Middle of the road brand)

I have several Lodge "standard" cast iron pieces, but I have not personally used their enameled line. Cooks Illustrated/Americas Test Kitchen gave them very favorable reviews though.

I have never paid full price for a single piece of Le Creuset. We have an outlet store in Allen (just north of Dallas/Plano). Their prices are good to start, but several times a year they send out coupons for up to 35% off. I paid $205 for a 13 quart French Oven ($399 at Amazon) last year. Almost everything in the store is considered a "second", but I dig through the stacks and find two perfect pieces (pan and lid) and carry it to the counter. They will "second" a whole pot even if just the lid has a chip in it or something. So, just dig around and find a perfect lid and you are good to go. Several years ago Amazon used to run incredible deals on Le Creuset. I got a 7.25 qt and a 14" stoneware baker for $75 TOTAL!

:eek:

Please let us know if that deal ever surfaces again! Wow!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)