What Kind of Cookware is in your Kitchen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Looking for some ideas on a small stove top pan for eggs, potatoes & that sort of thing. My current non-stick teflon coated pan from the grocery store has had it. The last time I was in the market which was less than a yr ago I bought a Lodge preseason cast iron pan, used it 1 time & made the worst egg ever. Although I didn't have the best 1st experience with cast iron there are plenty who still swear by it & I'm not totally unsold on the idea of using cast iron. Been looking at some very nice Griswold items on ebay I may consider.
What is your favorite stove top pan?

I used to only buy All-Clad, but the last several years, their new pieces seem to be of inferior quality to what they made 10 years ago. Im slowly switching out all of my pans/pots with Mauviel M'250 copper.

That being said, you need a decent non-stick pan for cooking eggs. I 100% recommend the one that Bobby listed above. That's the only "cheap" piece of cookware in my kitchen, but it has held up surprisingly well.

I'm surprised there are no cast iron users here. I appreciate the responses, there are many possibly good choices to choose from & have not decided on anything at this point. Kind of was hoping to purchase something that would last as long as I needed it to without busting the budget. Did a quick google search on the copper/brand that stevend suggested, wow looks nice but out of my realm. The only thing I found that stood the test of time & literally generations was cast iron. Found 1 really nice piece on ebay that is at least 60 yrs old maybe older, Griswold went out of business in the 50's. It is clean, used, well seasoned & with shipping would be $75.

I avoid exposed copper. Works great, if you're trained, and looks great, if you clean it properly. Cleaning and maintenance is far too bothersome.

Let's talk about SS. I believed that the stuff with the thicker bottom than the sides was better. Then I learned to look close- thick walls matter, too, and that's the better stuff. That's why we mostly use Le Creuset SS. But frankly, any heavy SS will do.

We also use some Caphalon, generally the non-stick kind. The majority of that collection is collecting dust. And we keep a teflon pan for eggs. But I just put that one above on our Wish List.

Now let's talk about cast iron. I'm from New Orleans, so I use a seasoned black cast iron pot when I make my red beans. We also have several very attractive and easy to clean porcelain coated cast iron pots. We use these for anything we're going to be cooking for an extended time. And they're good for serving in. Not for a dishwasher, but easy to clean.

Here's part of our collection:

cast iron.JPG

We only buy smooth bottom pots and pans that will keep their smooth, level bottoms, as we moved to smooth top ranges years ago and would never go back.

I've seen presentations (of green colored non stick pans, amongst others) where they claim the old version of teflon is being forced off the market. Anybody know anything about that? Or "stoneware" non stick pans?

I've looked at some stuff with a ceramic non stick enamel on ss with an aluminum core that was reasonably priced but have no idea how well it works or holds up. There are way too many choices out there & not near enough reviews to back them up.

I avoid exposed copper. Works great, if you're trained, and looks great, if you clean it properly. Cleaning and maintenance is far too bothersome.

Let's talk about SS. I believed that the stuff with the thicker bottom than the sides was better. Then I learned to look close- thick walls matter, too, and that's the better stuff. That's why we mostly use Le Creuset SS. But frankly, any heavy SS will do.

We also use some Caphalon, generally the non-stick kind. The majority of that collection is collecting dust. And we keep a teflon pan for eggs. But I just put that one above on our Wish List.

Now let's talk about cast iron. I'm from New Orleans, so I use a seasoned black cast iron pot when I make my red beans. We also have several very attractive and easy to clean porcelain coated cast iron pots. We use these for anything we're going to be cooking for an extended time. And they're good for serving in. Not for a dishwasher, but easy to clean.

Here's part of our collection:

View attachment 83288

We only buy smooth bottom pots and pans that will keep their smooth, level bottoms, as we moved to smooth top ranges years ago and would never go back.

I've seen presentations (of green colored non stick pans, amongst others) where they claim the old version of teflon is being forced off the market. Anybody know anything about that? Or "stoneware" non stick pans?

Wow I can smell a big pot of slow cooked homemade chili in 1 of those.

I picked up a set of fry pans at Sam's Club with a porcelain enamel non-stick finish and they are the best non-stick pans I've ever seen. It was only $20 for 2 pans and nothing sticks to them. Eggs (with no oils or grease) slide right out and even cheese won't stick. The only name on the pans is "Gourmet" but I haven't seen them in Sam's lately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts