What Spices are in your Cabnet?

I could name quite a few, but I think more important is that I've found spices to be fresher and much better from Penzey's, than from local stores. It really does make a big difference. And they do have a few B&Ms. Not cheap, but not ridiculous, considering how little of most of the spices you're actually using.

Oh, OK - white pepper! :p

Reactions: Dudleydog73
I usually keep all of these and use most in my rub for everything I cook...
Garlic powder
Garlic Salt
Lemon & Pepper Seasoning
Lime Salt
Onion powder
Onion flakes
Ground Sage
Ground Red Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
Black Pepper
Seasoning salt
Sea salt
Lo-Salt (mostly potassium)
Parsley flakes
Italian seasoning
Oregano
Cumin
Cilantro
Cinnamon

I could name quite a few, but I think more important is that I've found spices to be fresher and much better from Penzey's, than from local stores. It really does make a big difference. And they do have a few B&Ms. Not cheap, but not ridiculous, considering how little of most of the spices you're actually using.

Oh, OK - white pepper! :p

+1. Penzey's is amazing. Since discovering this place, we've replaced our entire spice/dried herb collection with Penzey's. Huge difference in using quality seasonings on your food.

They also have a few original blends. One of my favorites is their "Mural of Flavor." It's good on chicken, fish or pork. Also it's good on tomatoes, potatoes and just about anything else that you can think of.

Agree on the Penzey's comments. Incredible place.

I have to many to remember all of them while at work. But I'll give shout-outs to to:

First, WHOLE nutmeg should be in everyone's kitchen. The whole version will last years and always be fresher than pre-ground garbage that has lost half its flavor before you open the package.

Second, a spice I rarely employ, but always impresses, is saffron. It may sound expensive, but a little goes a long way. I rarely eat rice without saffron.

Third, star anise is heavily underused in this country. Even makes a great garnish.

I would say my staples are roasted garlic and herb, lemon pepper, and olive oil. Use a bit of cumin and chili when preparing mexican or southwest style dishes, and have a an assortment of dried italian herbs as well that I dry myself. I like to grow fresh herbs all year round, and whatever does't look like its going to get used before wilting, gets dried and jarred. (or used to season wine vinegars for salads, but thats when I get a bit extreme...lol)

I have quite the extensive spice collection. To make rubs or to season something, it's usually a combination of a few different spices and herbs.

But, before any other spice, let's remember that Salt & Pepper is the starting ground for seasoning a dish properly. Not sure if this is obvious or not, but freshly ground whole black peppercorns and Sea and Kosher salt go a long way. Don't settle for table salt or pepper.

Paprika is a very subtle spice. I find myself using paprika to colour a dish more often than I use it for seasoning.

Because of it's subtlety, it can be used in a wide range of applications. I couldn't imagine not having any in my cabinet. I prefer not to cover my food in too many complicated flavors.

It may just be the bohunk in me. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)