What Spices are in your Cabnet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Cinnamon is a staple for me - use it mostly on oatmeal. The 2 together are heart-healthy.

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html

I have most of the others mentioned above. I'm also big on the "grinders" (spices in a disposable mill), mostly from McCormicks. In addition to the regular ground pepper and sea salt, I use some of their blends like "Pepper Medley", "Garlic Pepper", and "Montreal Steak Grinder".

I also like a seasoning mix called "Janes Krazy Mixed-up Salt". It's lighter on the salt and has a great blend. Use it on most anything when I think of it. Keep shakers nearby all cooking devices...

JanesKrazy

Cinnamon is a staple for me - use it mostly on oatmeal. The 2 together are heart-healthy.

10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon

I have most of the others mentioned above. I'm also big on the "grinders" (spices in a disposable mill), mostly from McCormicks. In addition to the regular ground pepper and sea salt, I use some of their blends like "Pepper Medley", "Garlic Pepper", and "Montreal Steak Grinder".

I also like a seasoning mix called "Janes Krazy Mixed-up Salt". It's lighter on the salt and has a great blend. Use it on most anything when I think of it. Keep shakers nearby all cooking devices...

JanesKrazy

you know, I absolutely love those disposable mill grinders from McCormicks. I've got the array of Mixed Peppercorns, Garlic Sea Salt, Sea Salt, Cinnemon/Sugar, Italian, and Steakhouse blends and I tell you, they do make a difference. A little if the Italian on top of pasta as a flavorful garnish and the mixed peppercorns in scrambled eggs are two of my favorites. Its fun for my daughter too because its a little activity for her to do when she helps me cook. :)

I usually keep all of these and use most in my rub for everything I cook...
Garlic powder
Garlic Salt
Lemon & Pepper Seasoning
Lime Salt
Onion powder
Onion flakes

Ground Sage
Ground Red Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
Black Pepper
Seasoning salt

Sea salt
Lo-Salt (mostly potassium)
Parsley flakes
Italian seasoning
Oregano
Cumin
Cilantro
Cinnamon
Back from the dead... Wow, I really need to restock, I only have the items in blue now...

Back from the dead... Wow, I really need to restock, I only have the items in blue now...
No cumin or red pepper.
images

Maggi Würze seasoning (not to be confused with many other Maggi seasonings made around the world under license from Nestle in Switzerland)
fresh ground Nutmeg
fresh ground pepper
cayenne
Soy sauce
Garlic granulated when fresh is not suitable
Onion dried chopped when fresh is not suitable
Those are what I use the most of.

I could name quite a few, but I think more important is that I've found spices to be fresher and much better from Penzey's, than from local stores. It really does make a big difference. And they do have a few B&Ms. Not cheap, but not ridiculous, considering how little of most of the spices you're actually using.

Oh, OK - white pepper! :p
Our whole spice cabinet is Penzey's. Luckily there is a store about 15 minutes away so itgs easy to restock with their bagged options once we have a jar.

In this day and age can you buy anything under a dollar? Score! I was in my local supermarket and found some spices in an ethnic section. Whole nutmeg kernels for $.69 a bag. (.5 oz 5~6 kernels) Nutmeg is insanely expensive in most forms and this was like finding a birthday present. :)

We are blessed with several international stores in NOVA, such as H-Mart and Lotte. They have much fresher fruit and vegetables, and a massive seafood collection. Generally cheaper than regular supermarkets. They’ve got stuff I not only don’t know how to cook, I don’t know how to eat!

Not any better on spices, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)