New customer having second thoughts...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NoWhereMan01

Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Oklahoma City
Hey all I just signed up yesterday at my local Sams Club, I wasn't even looking for a change in my TV service but I got sold anyway. I've often thought of a switch to D* in the past but the storms we get here in Oklahoma have always scared me from signing up, it's critical to have TV service when it's tornado season here.

Talked to some buddies who love D* and they helped me give in yesterday, I had made a few quick calls to them while shopping and thinking about my decision. I currently have UVerse TV only and its adequate enough for our needs, but we pay $108/month for it and only have the HBO premium channels for free for a few months.

The deal I got for D* is going to be a lot less for the first year and about the same as we pay now for UVerse for the 2nd year of the contract.

The switch of service isn't really what concerns me, it's the loss of signal during our stormy season and the install. More the install because I know I can buy a OTA antenna for a TV and use it during a real tornado event if the signal is out. And the salesman mentioned the off air channel that showed our local channel 9 or something.

So the install...this is what worries me. I'm sure they will be experienced enough to handle my house setup, it was prewired when built, but some of the existing uses might not leave him many choices to use wires/cables that exist. I currently have a Cox and ATT box on the side of my house that feed into my "comm" closet. Cox which is my internet is using the only coax cable from the outside to that closet, and ATT is using the only CAT5 cable. Now the comm closet has coax that runs to both of my main viewing areas so once he was able to get a coax line in that closet he could use the existing coax lines to get to my main TV.

My fears are that right now everything works good and change is scary, I don't want ugly wires all over the outside of my new house, the dish is bad enough, lol. Wished I could get a consult before install so if I don't like what is planned I could cancel the install.

I'm getting the Genie HD DVR and 3 of the wireless clients for the other TVs. How do the wireless clients work, do they work over my home WiFi or do they talk to the Genie box? The way the ATT wireless clients are working in my house now are the two that are downstairs are connected and talking to the wireless access point of ATTs in my comm closet downstairs. The main DVR unit is upstairs connected via coax to the ATT 3801HGV portal box. So ATT is fiber to house, CAT5 from outside box to comm closet, coax from there to main DVR. I want D* Genie upstairs via that coax, and wireless clients downstairs, but I'm worried the signals won't be strong enough.

Also curious the salesman said something about the installer being able to mount the wireless clients behind TVs mounted on the wall so no cables showed, I have two TVs that would need this setup, but question is how does the remote work if it can't see it? Will I have to pay for new remotes that work without line of sight?

Anyway once he's here and looks at it all and we discuss the plan is that too late to cancel install?

I'm probably way overthinking all this but the buyers remorse is setting in.

Talk me off the cliff of cancellation?

When he gets there, go over everything with him, you can cancel it then if you don't like the options available.
The remotes are RF/IR so they do either ...

If you really don't want a dish on roof or in yard then I would not go that route.

When he gets there, go over everything with him, you can cancel it then if you don't like the options available.

If you really don't want a dish on roof or in yard then I would not go that route.

My wife was the one who made the ugly dish comments to me, sorry wasn't clear there, it doesn't bother me. She did see our neighbors across the street dish on the roof when we got home and said that it didn't look too bad, she's more excited about the savings each month.

If anything I might cancel till 4K live shows are here. Been reading other threads about the new Genie that might be out soon? Sounds like I could get a Genie and clients that handle 4K but not live just the one way from VOD? I'd hate to be stuck with this equipment or have to buy new boxes a few months into my contract. I have a brand new 2015 Samsung UHD TV that would handle the 4K Live. My Vizio is also 4K @ 60hz but I read they weren't compatible with the 4K live. So if that's the case what equipment should I have to replace when 4K live is here and about how much cost am I looking at? What should I ask or expect him to install tomorrow to have the newest equipment possible, in home and on dish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be honest, the quality of the TV is more important than the 4K aspect, especially given the slow adoption rate by the content production industry. the remotes wont be an issue, the installer should set them up to do RF (radio frequency) mode so you dont have to see them. however, mounting the recievers is a little trickier. i know there is a actual wall mountable bracket for the wired clients, im not aware of one that fits the wireless clients. the wireless clienst all run on a seperate network in the home, connected to the wireless video bridge.

as for the dish: the standard roof mount is one option. if you dont want to put holes in the roof you can also do a deck mount (s-tube mount) or a pole mount. the installer may charge you for the pole, but if you're really on the fence about D* it does mean you dont have a piece of scrap metal attached to your roof.

getting the cable inside to this closet sounds like a trick. if you have a drop ceiling it shouldnt be much of an issue, but if its all finished between where your closet is and where the cable needs to come in, the cable may have to be run outside.

FWIW, none of the equipment you ordered is 4K capable. Only the C61K can do 4K but it needs a wire (coax). But not to worry, there are zero channels on 4K right now and none are on the radar for the foreseeable future. Only 4K are overpriced PPV movies like Forrest Gump and the like

Do count on the tech installing the wireless clients behind the TVs and nicely dressed. That is something you may have to do once he leaves.

FWIW, none of the equipment you ordered is 4K capable. Only the C61K can do 4K but it needs a wire (coax). But not to worry, there are zero channels on 4K right now and none are on the radar for the foreseeable future. Only 4K are overpriced PPV movies like Forrest Gump and the like
I did order 3 of the wireless clients (genie mini) would I have to specify I want a C61K? Actually though my new 2015 Samsung 55JS8500 has the RVU client in it, it's my best 4K TV, so what does that buy me if anything? Guess the installer could setup both a C61K and the RVU and I could toggle between both when I want. I know there is no live 4K content right now, just trying to understand how far away we are from that and how much new equipment I'll need when we get there?

Last edited:
I did order 3 of the wireless clients (genie mini) would I have to specify I want a C61K? Actually though my new 2015 Samsung 55JS8500 has the RVU client in it, it's my best 4K TV, so what does that buy me if anything? Guess the installer could setup both a C61K and the RVU and I could toggle between both when I want. I know there is no live 4K content right now, just trying to understand how far away we are from that and how much new equipment I'll need when we get there?
The C61K are not wireless, the must be hardwired with coax. Also while you can have your RVU TV and genie mini on the same TV, that means paying twice for one tv since RVU TVs carries the same monthly fee as a regular client. I would worry about 4K when the time comes

Hey all I just signed up yesterday at my local Sams Club, I wasn't even looking for a change in my TV service but I got sold anyway. I've often thought of a switch to D* in the past but the storms we get here in Oklahoma have always scared me from signing up, it's critical to have TV service when it's tornado season here.

Talked to some buddies who love D* and they helped me give in yesterday, I had made a few quick calls to them while shopping and thinking about my decision. I currently have UVerse TV only and its adequate enough for our needs, but we pay $108/month for it and only have the HBO premium channels for free for a few months.

The deal I got for D* is going to be a lot less for the first year and about the same as we pay now for UVerse for the 2nd year of the contract.

The switch of service isn't really what concerns me, it's the loss of signal during our stormy season and the install. More the install because I know I can buy a OTA antenna for a TV and use it during a real tornado event if the signal is out. And the salesman mentioned the off air channel that showed our local channel 9 or something.

So the install...this is what worries me. I'm sure they will be experienced enough to handle my house setup, it was prewired when built, but some of the existing uses might not leave him many choices to use wires/cables that exist. I currently have a Cox and ATT box on the side of my house that feed into my "comm" closet. Cox which is my internet is using the only coax cable from the outside to that closet, and ATT is using the only CAT5 cable. Now the comm closet has coax that runs to both of my main viewing areas so once he was able to get a coax line in that closet he could use the existing coax lines to get to my main TV.

My fears are that right now everything works good and change is scary, I don't want ugly wires all over the outside of my new house, the dish is bad enough, lol. Wished I could get a consult before install so if I don't like what is planned I could cancel the install.

I'm getting the Genie HD DVR and 3 of the wireless clients for the other TVs. How do the wireless clients work, do they work over my home WiFi or do they talk to the Genie box? The way the ATT wireless clients are working in my house now are the two that are downstairs are connected and talking to the wireless access point of ATTs in my comm closet downstairs. The main DVR unit is upstairs connected via coax to the ATT 3801HGV portal box. So ATT is fiber to house, CAT5 from outside box to comm closet, coax from there to main DVR. I want D* Genie upstairs via that coax, and wireless clients downstairs, but I'm worried the signals won't be strong enough.

Also curious the salesman said something about the installer being able to mount the wireless clients behind TVs mounted on the wall so no cables showed, I have two TVs that would need this setup, but question is how does the remote work if it can't see it? Will I have to pay for new remotes that work without line of sight?

Anyway once he's here and looks at it all and we discuss the plan is that too late to cancel install?

I'm probably way overthinking all this but the buyers remorse is setting in.

Talk me off the cliff of cancellation?
As a former tech, whenever I heard the terms "ugly wires" ugly dish" I would first attempt to assure the picky homeowner I make all efforts to find the most efficient practical wiring routes taking into consideration aesthetics.
If that didn't work and the customer was still balking, asking me "can't you just" questions, or insisting THEY knew how to do the job better, I knew the job was a bust.
My advice.....Let the guy do his work. make sure he explains the routing and type of attachment for the cabling. If he's sharp, he will ask you to sign off on the job before he begins so that you cannot go back after the fact that claim you "did not know/approve".
If you are an understanding person and are willing to listen to the recommendations of the tech, you will find this process to be much smoother.
If you have already made up your mind that no matter what this is not going to be good, I suggest you stay with your current carrier and not waste other people's time. The tech has other work to do that day for other customers. Be considerate of that fact aw well.
It just has to be that way

In my tenure as a tech, the worst kind of customers were the ones who thought everything could be hidden from view. Included were the antenna, cabling, and even the d mark....Yeah. That in spite of the fact that the utilities were right there for everyone else to see.
Then inside the home, the only thing they wanted visible was the TV itself. They even wanted their components hidden.
These got rescheduled as 'custom installs"....

In my tenure as a tech, the worst kind of customers were the ones who thought everything could be hidden from view. Included were the antenna, cabling, and even the d mark....Yeah. That in spite of the fact that the utilities were right there for everyone else to see.
Then inside the home, the only thing they wanted visible was the TV itself. They even wanted their components hidden.
These got rescheduled as 'custom installs"....
As they should ...

I don't want all wires hidden on the outside I just don't want tons of cables running my house, I've seen some pretty bad work out there, which may have been self installs I realize, I just want it clean as possible. That's all I ask, I understand nothing is perfect. I'll talk to the installer with respect and ask my questions and hope not to irritate him.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)