New Customer Questions about address and more

Status
Please reply by conversation.

The law also says if an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle

-Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner

-A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

-It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit

-Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal

-You may not fart in a public place after 6 PM

-You are not allowed to break more than three dishes per day, or chip the edges of more than four cups and/or saucers.

All are official laws currently still on the books in Flori-Duh! My home state!

Good thing I don't live in FLorida. The no farting rule after 6 pm would do me in , not to mention that whole porcupine fetish I have.. OUCH!:p

Well thanks for the help, it worked like a charm. I am watching all my NY channels in FL now.

However, I am not getting the 4 networks HD channels, only their SD. The HD ones say "searching for signal on satellite in 1... (771)". The SDs are ok.
Is that to be expected since I am not in the NY area, or could it be that my dish is not pointed accurately?

The MPEG4 versions (2-69?) on 99.2°W for NYC are on a spot beam.

The MPEG2 versions (80-88?) on 119.°W for NYC are on a CoNUS beam.

I think this is still the case.

I enjoyed the exchanges here. One thing surprised me was I thought the exclusive sports deals DirecTV has are for such reason, that people can watch out-of-market games to follow their teams outside of their market of residence.

Why is this one not the case? I am not much a sports fan so this question may be stupid.

Actually, the address that I want to use in NJ is only about 10 miles away from NYC, so maybe I will get the local spotbeams?

For you high horse guys, why did you even reply to my original post? All I asked was for some info on the subject. If you don't like what I am doing, then don't bother replying. But don't reply trying to teach me morals.

Sure it is against the rules, and guess what, I really don't give a damn. I don't like being punished for living in FL. I won't be able to get my local FL channels anymore. So what's the difference where I am physically located.

Slingbox basically accomplishes the same thing. Does that bother you too?

Question to the Yankee fan ....

Why not do the correct thing and you would have NO issues at all.
After all, it's very easy to pick up the phone and call D* and sign up for the MLB EI package, thats what it's there for anyways.

Jimbo

I enjoyed the exchanges here. One thing surprised me was I thought the exclusive sports deals DirecTV has are for such reason, that people can watch out-of-market games to follow their teams outside of their market of residence.

Why is this one not the case? I am not much a sports fan so this question may be stupid.

You are allowed to watch any out of market games as long as you purchase the accosiated package, MLB EI, NFL ST ect., this is the only way it ia legal.
Also as mentioned previously, FOX has a stupid agreement that no other games can be shown on Saturdays during thier games.

Curious, does anyone know how long that is in effect, I hope that MBL or whoever made that rules sees finally how stupid it was.

Jimbo

I really feel i must chime in on this one. This DMA thng is the biggest bunch of crap i have ever seen.

How would you feel if you lived in oklahoma but could not get any news from the state you live in and have to vote in. I feel its important to hear the news from the state you live in.

But we live in the Amarillo Texas DMA so we can not get the OK market. But DTV does not have the Amarillo tx market But we can not get the Distant locals Becasue the Wichita KS DMA thinks we can get their Channels with an antenna. We can not even with a 60 foot tower.

But the cable company in town is able to give you the TX, KS and OK locals channels. Now tell me what is right about this!!

I feel this law needs to be changed and if the Locals are avalible in the state you live in you should be able to get them. I really dont think that DTV or Dish cares but they must follow the law.

BTW have you ever heard of any one being in trouble from getting the wrong locals? The worst thing i know of is they switch you when they find out.

Well thanks for the help, it worked like a charm. I am watching all my NY channels in FL now.

However, I am not getting the 4 networks HD channels, only their SD. The HD ones say "searching for signal on satellite in 1... (771)". The SDs are ok.
Is that to be expected since I am not in the NY area, or could it be that my dish is not pointed accurately?

Here is what you should do, I'm trying to do this myself as I live in Florida and I am a Mets fan. If you want to get Mets and Yankee games blackout free along with the NY locals, look for a city or town in upstate New York in a market that does not carry HD locals yet like Binghamton, Plattsburg, etc. Look at what counties are the furthest from the city in the DMA, Directv has a lookup site where you can enter just a city and zip to find out whether that city or town is eligible for distant HD locals. If any stations are below a Grade B signal then you are eligible to recieve those distant locals. I am doing this not only for the Mets games but that way I can pull up to 8 different football games this fall by having the FOX and CBS stations in New York, LA, and Orlando from my HD Antenna Tuner box.

Here is a copy of the MLB Territory Map.
MLBBLACKOUT.jpg (image)

Distant Local Lookup
Enter Address

DMA Market Maps
TV Market Maps

Last edited:
Is there any trick to get the spotbeam channels (9, 11, and 13)??

As for the MLB package, as I wrote previously, even with the MLB package, the Saturday games are blacked out because some idiot(s) that made the decisions didn't think that people are fans of a specific team and would rather watch their favorite team and not the game of the week.

BTW, I do have the MLB package also.

Fox and MLB cut the Devils deal with the Saturday blackout. They think baseball is like football, and that most people will watch whatever is on. Little do they realize that baseball fans watch one team (generally), as trying to watch more than one team is difficult as they play 162 (approx) games a year. My wife still comes home during the baseball season and says "are the Sox playing again??" and I say most every day but Monday.

The whole sport area/DMA is big lobby money working congress. Tremendous technology that is being used to keep the monopoly solid for local stations. I believe we should be able to buy whatever signal we want with no restriction. As long as we pay for it then it should be ok with the Feds.

While I am at it TV is a pretty minor part of my life (baseball is not), tea was a minor part of the lives of people in 1776. Can anyone spell Boston Tea Party? Can anyone spell Whiskey Rebellion?

Lots of civil unrest over tea, and whiskey. TV who knows. :)

You hit it right, they are treating Baseball like Football.

One way or another, I am going to watch the Yankee games. Right now I live in FL, and I gave D* a NJ address so that I can get the YES Network and all the shows that come with it besides just the games. Since I can't get My9, I also have and MLB.com subscription just to fill the holes. I also have to say that the MLB.com 1.2M stream sucks, and is not better than the 800k stream.
I also have the D* MLB package with the superfan so nobody can say that I am cheating MLB or D* out of money.
I just want to watch EVERY YANKEE GAME. I am living here for the past 3 months, and all I see are Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox fans here in South FL.. Absolutely NO Marlins or Rays fans. WAKE UP MLB!!! People want to watch their own teams which might always be the local team.

for sure the home team is where it is at. After a few years of MLB extra innings and one year of NESN with a move, for the true fan having EVERY home game is pretty much a neccessity. Further more after one year of NESN with pre and post game shows, I realized what I had been missing.

We are getting shafted by the big money envolved. $200 for MLB extra innings is ridiculous. But I'd pay $100 just for NESN.

Absurd that we are forced into two dish systems or "moving" just to watch baseball.

I will watch the Yanks once in a while just because of the Sox Yankees "thing", an occaisional Rockies game as they are my regional team, and thats about it.

Baseball is a great game, but to be really involved you need to watch a whole season of just about every game. Watching the ESPN Sunday night game or the Fox game of the weeks is not really being a baseball fan.

I can't believe that MLB doesn't understand the home team deal, and that there are millions of Cubs, Red Sox , Cardinal, Dodger, and Yankee fans that want to watch every game, and that they don't live in the zone the team plays in.

Throw in Dish blowing it with the MLB package and MLB being jerks and it is a wonder I still watch baseball. The saving grace was having the Sox win WS # two in my life time, and getting to see one WS game in Denver in person.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts