New Customer/Self Install Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mocatdaze

Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Hi All,

I'm a potential new customer to DirecTV, but, disappointingly, when I called to about subscribing, they said that regardless of which plan I went with there would be a contract (either 1yr or 2yrs), because they would be providing the install and equipment. The house I moved into already has the large oval dish setup, and I actually had a separate VOOM dish/ota setup from a while ago.

Question is, can I go out and buy an H20 receiver and do the setup myself and then just have DirecTV activate it? Understanding, I may need to fiddle with the dish to lock in the sats, is there anything else I'm missing?

TIA - Mo

If you are getting the AT9 just let a pro do it. If not you will need a phaze 3 to get the HD channels and if you have never messed with one of those again just let a pro do it.

Even if you buy and install your own equipment then you will still have to sign a contract.

The 2 year contract applies to advanced equipment HD or DVR so it dosen't make any difference who installs it. Directv prefers that it be professionally installed so that it will have the best chance of keeping the customer happy for two years.

They will still activate it if you install it yourself. The CSR I talked to was shocked that I did it myself! He must have been new; I think he asked his manager if it was possible. :rolleyes:

I already had a Phase III (oval dish), so I didn't have to adjust anything when I got my new HD receiver. I already had an OTA antenna, too, so it worked right out of the box. I still went out and tweaked the dish a little, but it wasn't totally necessary.

The Tate is right; if you've never installed a dish, a phase III or AT9 is not a good way to start! I did it, but I have lots of experience; I've been working on D* dishes for about 10 years now, professionally and as an amateur.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I decided to go ahead and let them do it and talked to a CSR again, but, he convinced (inadvertently) to wait. When I asked about which HD receiver I'd receive, he had no idea and said that whatever is in the warehouse I'd get. Of course, I want the H20, but, have a feeling they'd dump a H10 on me instead. When I asked about the AT9 dish, he said that since HD locals wouldn't be available in my area until spring, that I'd have to call back then for a newer dish.

I may have gotten incorrect information, but, it was enough to convince me to wait and avoid the hassles until more of the HD stuff is settled later this year. Thanks again for the info!

The H20 is the best HD receiver and it's all we ship. Self installs are OK with us and we provide technical support to ensure your success. You get self install credit and special SatelliteGuys discounts.

We also include our exclusive 5 yr. warranty on the receivers and dish.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The H20 is the best HD receiver and it's all we ship. Self installs are OK with us and we provide technical support to ensure your success. You get self install credit and special SatelliteGuys discounts.

We also include our exclusive 5 yr. warranty on the receivers and dish.

-Robert

Now i find this out rob, lol

the 2 yr contract comes with the hd and dvr's, the 1 year contract comes with your local channels(at least in my market) i do know you can avoid the contract either by not getting locals or prepaying.

cpt_roo said:
the 2 yr contract comes with the hd and dvr's, the 1 year contract comes with your local channels(at least in my market) i do know you can avoid the contract either by not getting locals or prepaying.

sorry that isnt correct. 2 year agreement is required with the advanced IRDS , tivo, r-15 ,hd-20 for example.

1 year agreement is for standard IRDS, d-10, d-11 for example.

the locals arent even in the equasion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts