New customer switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FLASAT007

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I’ve currently got U-verse in 7 rooms. Currently paying about $105 for U-verse 300 with all fees and taxes.

What type of setup would I do if I switched to directv? I really only need 6 rooms connected.

What type of setup would you do with the current promotions? I have 3 teenagers who watch tv a lot so I want to be sure at least 4 TVs won’t have an issue watching live tv and when I think about it I haven’t watched tv in masterbed room in months. So I could get away with 5 actual tv hookups.

I only need the ultimate all plan I believe.

Any and all solutions are appreciated.

:welcome to Satelliteguys FLASA007!

Even with a new customer discount, I suspect you will pay more for Directv than you currently are with U-verse. The new customer deals involve one Genie and clients which don't have tuners and can't record on their own, only to the Genie. Each additional dvr is likely going to cost you $200 up front.

:welcome to Satelliteguys FLASA007!

Even with a new customer discount, I suspect you will pay more for Directv than you currently are with U-verse. The new customer deals involve one Genie and clients which don't have tuners and can't record on their own, only to the Genie. Each additional dvr is likely going to cost you $200 up front.
They would more than likely want to put in a Genie and a bunch of clients ... they typically offer 4 room set ups, sometimes the offer changes to 3 ... I haven't checked the latest offer. So he would have to come up with the money to get the remaining clients (or DVRs if he decided to go that route).

They will put them in, but the rest will cost.

Personally, If I were him and he had the money, I too would go with the HD DVRs HR24's, this way they are not tied to the Genie, like you mentioned.

They would more than likely want to put in a Genie and a bunch of clients ... they typically offer 4 room set ups, sometimes the offer changes to 3 ... I haven't checked the latest offer. So he would have to come up with the money to get the remaining clients (or DVRs if he decided to go that route).

They will put them in, but the rest will cost.

Personally, If I were him and he had the money, I too would go with the HD DVRs HR24's, this way they are not tied to the Genie, like you mentioned.

The current offer is 1 genie and 4 clients. Additional clients are $49 and then I assume you can pay $199 for hd dvr. That being the case I should take the free 4 clients and then add an hr24 dash what model exactly? I’m assuming the clients can’t work with the hr24 and only work with genie?

The current offer is 1 genie and 4 clients. Additional clients are $49 and then I assume you can pay $199 for hd dvr. That being the case I should take the free 4 clients and then add an hr24 dash what model exactly? I’m assuming the clients can’t work with the hr24 and only work with genie?
As for the manufacture model, that doesn't really matter, the HR24 is the most current (even though its getting old) recvr available that doesn't require the Genie. This way if anything happens with the Genie, you still can watch TV.

The Clients are tied to the Genie and won't work without it. Anything that gets recorded from a client goes onto the Genie.

Just a quick note. If this offer is for an HS17 there is no way to add DVRs, only clients. I have no way of knowing what DTV will be pushing here but I suspect as time goes on, they will be moving more and more subs to a server and clients.

The new customer deals involve one Genie and clients which don't have tuners and can't record on their own, only to the Genie. Each additional dvr is likely going to cost you $200 up front.

DO realize that U-verse ONLY lets you have 1 DVR anyway...& which ONLY has 4 tuners max on ADSL (6 on Gigapower fiber TV) & all the secondary TV boxes have always been tunerless since day 1.
So assuming the OP is on legacy U-verse TV, they'll at least get 1 more tuner than what they have now... ;)

DO realize that U-verse ONLY lets you have 1 DVR anyway...& which ONLY has 4 tuners max on ADSL (6 on Gigapower fiber TV) & all the secondary TV boxes have always been tunerless since day 1.
So assuming the OP is on legacy U-verse TV, they'll at least get 1 more tuner than what they have now... ;)
Good point ....
We all look at it from the D* side of things, but regardless he never had the other options to start with so he will probably be fine with the offer, he's actually gaining with it.

How do I know if I have a legacy U-verse? I have the one main dvr unit and 6 additional boxes.

So to recap if I do the deal with 1 genie and 3 minis. Do I also add an HD DVR? I’m still very confused.
At the minimum I need 5 TVs working.

How do I know if I have a legacy U-verse? I have the one main dvr unit and 6 additional boxes.

Is it Gigapower, which is Fiber all the way to your house??? If not, then it's legacy. You should already know how many live TV &/or shows being recorded, you can have going on at once in your entire house, which equates to the number of tuners the DVR has.

As I already stated, you most likely ONLY have 4 tuners now...so if that's been meeting your needs all this time, I don't see why having a minimum of 5 tuners when you switch, should be a problem.

So to recap if I do the deal with 1 genie and 3 minis. Do I also add an HD DVR? I’m still very confused.
At the minimum I need 5 TVs working.

If you order an HR24 DVR, as already mentioned you'll most likely have to pay upfront for it, probably a minimum of $99 to $200. Again, since you are already used to what you already have, I'd just order the new HS17 DVR, (which IS what D* is heavily pushing now) since it already has 7 tuners (note it does NOT actually connect to a TV) then you order mini's for each TV you want service on. Any mini's above the 4th will probably cost you $49 each upfront; note you still do NOT own any of these, even though you might be paying any upfront costs.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts