new customer with R15 wants 95W only

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satcat66

Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
Dear Experts,

I'd like to have a DVR (bought an R15 at BB, but probably can return it and get something else if necessary), with 2 inputs BOTH fed from 95W.

I understand that a dual Linear LNB would be needed (I guess P2700KU ), but not sure how to buy one.

Question: is FlexiPort switch _required_ despite I don't want any other satellite for this setup? Can I wire both LNB outputs directly to R15 ?

Question2: Can anybody suggest a qualified installer/dealer in Central Jersey area to help me with this setup (supply and install the dish, LNB) ? I guess DirecTV itself is not of much help. So far they were slipping the scheduled installation till I canceled.

Thanks!

satcat66

Oh, that's valuable info!!!

Well, that means I need a switch. I already have a round dish pointed to 101 (got it with the house), and I'm getting feed from 101. Anyway, DirecTV's "international" dish is probably more logical to get in this case....

Does anybody know if it comes with a single- or dual Linear LNB?

And, still, is direct Linear LNB connection to R15 possible (till I get the switch) ?

Thanks!

the 95 dish has just one connection since DirecTv only uses one polarity for Int'l.
you can hook it up to any multiswitch without an issue. Just get a 4x4, 4x8, etc switch. You hook both ports form 101 to it and the one from 95

Thanks, it's all clear now. Getting all the stuff from ValueElectronics. Will try to set it up myself tomorrow. I have read about all these 95W problems, but still hope.

Iceberg said:
the 95 dish has just one connection since DirecTv only uses one polarity for Int'l.
you can hook it up to any multiswitch without an issue. Just get a 4x4, 4x8, etc switch. You hook both ports form 101 to it and the one from 95

iceberg,

i do not want to offend you but i do think you are wrong. ANY 4X4 multiswitch will not work with the 95 sat. only a multiswitch that is multisat approved will work. if i am wrong , i will stand corrected, i do not think this is the case though. there are PLENTY of 4X4 s out there that wont work.

dragon002 said:
iceberg,
i do not want to offend you but i do think you are wrong. ANY 4X4 multiswitch will not work with the 95 sat. only a multiswitch that is multisat approved will work. if i am wrong , i will stand corrected, i do not think this is the case though. there are PLENTY of 4X4 s out there that wont work.

Thats the reason for the 4 inputs. The first 2 are for 101 and the next 2 are for 119 and 119 combo or 95 or 72.

What type of satellite would you use a 4x4 on that would not be a multisatellite system.

Last edited:
If you get the combo 101/95 dish, alignment should be easy. If you have a 95 only dish you might pick up a cheap diplexer to help during the 95 alignment. The 95 satellite has additional foreign (non US) programming that extends well below the normal limits and if you use a diplexer’s TV side (not Sat) in line with your meter, it will filter out most signals except residual 95 signals. In other words, a basic meter with diplexer will ignore most everything except 95.
Bob

I have installed my 101/95 combo dish (newer type, WorldDirect elliptic), and it's locked on 101 now. I have an unexpected problem, though. My D15 receiver apparently knows nothing about 95W satellite... It offers 3 dish types (round, oval 2LNB, oval 3LNB), but there is no 95W in any. Software upgrade just went OK. Is this new D15 supposed to work with 95W?

Thanks....

satcat66 said:
I have installed my 101/95 combo dish (newer type, WorldDirect elliptic), and it's locked on 101 now. I have an unexpected problem, though. My D15 receiver apparently knows nothing about 95W satellite... It offers 3 dish types (round, oval 2LNB, oval 3LNB), but there is no 95W in any. Software upgrade just went OK. Is this new D15 supposed to work with 95W?
Thanks....

You need to run autoconfig.

The Tate said:
by the way the 95 will go to the 18volt 22k side of the switch

exactly, some 3X4 and 4X4 multiswitches are for the 18 round and phase 3 dishes only! for the 72.5 and the 95 you have to have either the flex ports or the 22kv switching, and not all of them have it.

grydlok: I did run Autoconfig before posting the question. It did not help that time.
After searching Internet for a while, I made it work, though. Here are the steps that led me to the success. I'm SURE that some of them are NOT NECESSARY. I just don't know which...

1. Antenna 66E. Preassembled on the ground with Elevation/Skew taken from the chart supplied

2. The mast is secured on the wall, as plumb as I could manage. Probably less than 0.3 degree off . Had to "customize" it, though. Spent a LOT of time on it. It's of different diameter, so I could not reuse old mast I already had on the roof.

3. 4x4 switch connected according to the diagrams

4. R15 connected to the switch. Actually, I had an old round dish pointed to 101 already, so I connected R15 to it first, made sure R15 shows the signal in the signal meter, then connected R15 to the new switch, and aimed new dish to 101. It was perfectly peaked as preassembled (changing skew/elevation made things only worse)

5. Now, my problem was to make R15 recognize 95W. It's not anywhere shown. If one tries to change the satellite in the signal meter, there's no 95W.

Here are the steps - again, some are not needed, but just doing autoconfig did not help me when I tried it first... It just said there were no 119 sat, and that's it.

- Connected R15 to the phone line
- Let it sit on channel 200 for about 30 minutes
- Started autoconfig for 2-LNB Oval dish
- when Autoconfig finished, it still complained about 119 sat missing
- But, now 95W is shown when you try to change satellite in the signal meter.
- After R15 scans 95W satellite, it shows it in the "confirmation" step, and then downloads the program guide.

Running autoconfig while on channel 200 was the clue I found somewhere, which possibly made the trick.

Now, with no any specific aiming to 95W, it looks like peaked. Signal strength is 80-89 across the transponders. Wow!!!!

Thanks to everybody who helped, and Happy New Year to ALL!

I have worked a D10 setup with only 95W after initalizing the setup with both 95/101. The setup DID work for about a month before the D10 started looking for 101W. How does one know that it is looking for 101W? Looked at a blue screen which said the recever needed to be reset and to press the RED button. I KNOW that is to get information from 101W so I had to reconnect it and leave it that way.

Now I have a question. What is the setup for an H20 and AT9 dish to get the internationals on 95W?

The Tate said:
18 volt 22k for 4xswitch
I have a Zinwell 6 by 8 switch.
I am having a hell of a time getting 95W.
My meter shows signal is coming.
Looks like I might have to lock on channel 200 for two hours then autoconfig.
It's been a nightmare.:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)