New D* Satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScoBuck said:
Another one scheduled for THIS year is DIRECTV9S. Not sure exactly what the proposed launch date is.
-----------------
D* has recently applied to the FCC to change the mission of 9S...It is not
expected for several years.....
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-1493A1.pdf
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the Ka-band FSS DIRECTV 9S space station must
be constructed, launched, and placed into operation in accordance with the technical parameters
and terms and conditions of these authorizations by these specific time periods following the
dates of authorization:
a. Execute a binding contract for construction by May XX, 2007.
b. Complete the Critical Design Review by May XX, 2008.
c. Commence construction by May XX, 2009.
d. Launch and begin operations by May XX, 2011.

Last edited:
Ultimately, 9S is supposed to be a replacement sat for an older unit, that also happens to add some capacity at the 101 location.

So it will probably be at least a year before we can expect any more HD given the launch date, getting it set in orbit, and hand off to D*?

Sound right?

Madtown HD Junkie said:
So it will probably be at least a year before we can expect any more HD given the launch date, getting it set in orbit, and hand off to D*?

Sound right?
Usually it is about a 3 month span between launch+testout+handover and operation=mid Nov. or Dec., however this is a hybred bird with both KA-KU
transponders(the KA is mostly for L-I-L backhaul) for which D* was recently
granted a waiver by the FCC.. http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-1493A1.pdf
Because I am a bit pessimistic when it comes to launch dates, I would say
early(Jan.) next year.

Madtown HD Junkie said:

Sound right?
NO. There's also D* 10 & 11 on the schedule, one in April and one in Summer 2007. These will add bandwidth in significant amounts. 9S is a replacement unit with some added capacity.

Madtown HD Junkie said:

Sound right?
Exactly right. April 2007+ 3 months of testing etc.. Id say August 2007. But we all know how the schedules get pushed back, so I wouldnt be surprised if its 2008

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Exactly right. April 2007+ 3 months of testing etc.. Id say August 2007. But we all know how the schedules get pushed back, so I wouldnt be surprised if its 2008

I agree. I wouldnt count on seeing stuff until at least second half of 2007 if not longer. Lets just hope everything goes as planned for that second half to happen. :)

Madtown HD Junkie said:

Sound right?

In DirecTV's February conference call, they presented slides clearly showing the HD national rollout plans - and they also repeated them on the Wachovia conference call 2 months ago.

Don't listen to the peeps that are ALWAYS 100% negative about DirecTV - the channels will begin to roll out within 1 year - by this time next year they have said that they will have 20+ national HD channels. BTW, the biggest holdup is the fact that there ARE NOT that many more channels to add (since they are not including VOOM). They have said that they will be ready BEFORE the channels are available - and they ARE RIGHT ON TARGET.

I am really getting annoyed with DirecTV's outlook on the Voom channels. If they decide to not add the Voom channels, Dish will be receiving my HD business.

DBSOgre said:
I am really getting annoyed with DirecTV's outlook on the Voom channels. If they decide to not add the Voom channels, Dish will be receiving my HD business.

Not trying to be funny, but if this is what you are waiting for, you might as well call Charlie tonight. DirecTV has NEVER even mentioned getting VOOM. Matter of fact, even Cablevision (which owns VOOM) doesn't carry even ONE of the VOOM channels it produces!

ScoBuck said:
BTW, the biggest holdup is the fact that there ARE NOT that many more channels to add (since they are not including VOOM).

While there's not that many out there, there are one's that I would like to see, such as Cinemax-HD, Starz-HD, National Geographic-HD, NFL Network-HD (it would be nice to see it full time so we don't have to guess when a game would be there since channel /9596 tends to disappear from the guides and you have to add it back to favorites) and InHD.

Rumor mill hopes that once the MPEG4 DVR hits the streets that the west coast network feeds could be shutdown and make room for four new channels before D10 and D11, will be interesting to see if that happens.

rad said:
While there's not that many out there, there are one's that I would like to see, such as Cinemax-HD, Starz-HD, National Geographic-HD, NFL Network-HD (it would be nice to see it full time so we don't have to guess when a game would be there since channel /9596 tends to disappear from the guides and you have to add it back to favorites) and InHD.

Rumor mill hopes that once the MPEG4 DVR hits the streets that the west coast network feeds could be shutdown and make room for four new channels before D10 and D11, will be interesting to see if that happens.

since the new HD DVR is ONLY now starting its rollout in L.A. DMA, there is no way in hell that they will have it available with enough time to convert all West Coast DMAs BEFORE DIRECTV10 is launched - to think otherwise is a pipedream

ScoBuck said:
since the new HD DVR is ONLY now starting its rollout in L.A. DMA, there is no way in hell that they will have it available with enough time to convert all West Coast DMAs BEFORE DIRECTV10 is launched - to think otherwise is a pipedream

It's not all west coast DMA's, only the DMA's that had network O&O's stations in them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)