New Dell 42" HD plasma tested with VOOM

It was interesting how they found that a display calibrated via upscaling DVD player and HTPC didn't look correct when hooked to the VOOM box. I have found this same thing with my display. VOOM really needs to broadcast a HD test pattern.

what i would like to see is some kind of adjustment out of the DVI connector. the picture is razor sharp but the colours seem to be bland and flat.

jnardone said:
It was interesting how they found that a display calibrated via upscaling DVD player and HTPC didn't look correct when hooked to the VOOM box. I have found this same thing with my display. VOOM really needs to broadcast a HD test pattern.
They do have a black and white one in the secret menu.

FWIW, I have 3 settings on my pj, 1 for DVD & OTA digital, 1 for Voom and 1 for Dish HD, they are all off from each other in regards to contrast, brightness and color. Whatever happened to standards.

jnardone said:
VOOM really needs to broadcast a HD test pattern.

Voom can easily broadcast HD test patterns on Channels 700, 900, and some ESPN alternates. All these channels are being wasted right now by broadcasting promotional materials. Using one of these channel to broadcast testing pattern would be nice.

dash2004 said:
Voom can easily broadcast HD test patterns on Channels 700, 900, and some ESPN alternates. All these channels are being wasted right now by broadcasting promotional materials. Using one of these channel to broadcast testing pattern would be nice.

Even for just a few hours a day or after midnight would be a help.

"Whatever happened to standards"

Well...the wonderful thing about standards is you get SO many to choose from.

Lob

Once again we see the effects of using upscaling DVD players to setup a display. The problem is described here: http://www.sigmadesigns.com/support/chromaticity_correction.htm
See the DVE disk was made for NTSC and the upscaling output of the DVD player throws that out of whack.. so you end up with blah colors. I personal have setup my display using DVE via 480i component DVD player and then set that input to SD color and the DVI from Voom to HD color and to me this looks great.

I do agree that Voom needs to setup a test pattern schedule in full 1080i resolution to run on on of the 999 or 700 channels. Throwing each pattern up there for about 30 - 45 minutes should be cool, since we lack the ability to record HD as of yet. Please Voom Please..

cmslick3 said:
I do agree that Voom needs to setup a test pattern schedule in full 1080i resolution to run on on of the 999 or 700 channels. Throwing each pattern up there for about 30 - 45 minutes should be cool, since we lack the ability to record HD as of yet. Please Voom Please..

That is one of the best ideas I have ever read. Gold.

Really, they could have an hour a day of calibration screens and audio. Maybe air it 2 or 3 times a day. That would be awesome, and also they could be the first to do it, nobody else does that as far as I know.

dankgus said:
That is one of the best ideas I have ever read. Gold.

Really, they could have an hour a day of calibration screens and audio. Maybe air it 2 or 3 times a day. That would be awesome, and also they could be the first to do it, nobody else does that as far as I know.
In case you missed it, HDNET does this every Tuesday morning at 8 am Eastern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts