new direct tv service a few questions (local channels/reciever prices etc)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rainmanva

Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
Virginia
helllo all,
just got direct tv service on friday 1/17/14.
i got a standard definition receiver and one dvr reciever. my question is this, am i charged 10.00 per month for reciever and 6.00 per month for the other standard receiver on the account?
also, i live in rural area, our local channgels aren't avaliable or so they say, without some kind of "waiver". my zip code is 23336.
if anyone can shed some light as to WHY i can't get local channels, please reply, its frusterating because other people in my community can get it, and i can't.
thanks for your help!

:welcome to Satelliteguys rainmanva!

The dvr charge is per account. Each receiver/dvr is $6/month, except the first one is no charge. Local channels are determined by zip code. Not all areas get locals, but most do. What is your zip code? The cable companies aren't restricted the way satellite companies are.
Edit: Sorry, I see you did give your zip code! Unfortunately, Directv doesn't offer them for your zip code.

Is the DVR an HD DVR ?
If so, the $10 fee is for the HD .
The $6 is for the mirror charge for the 2nd recvr ... not called a Mirror anymore, but it's the same thing.

:welcome to Satelliteguys rainmanva!

The dvr charge is per account. Each receiver/dvr is $6/month, except the first one is no charge. Local channels are determined by zip code. Not all areas get locals, but most do. What is your zip code? The cable companies aren't restricted the way satellite companies are.

You beat me to it .... btw, zip is 23336

What DMA are you actually in ?

I have a feeling that you MAY be outside of major city dma's

What are your local channels suppose to be ?

Directv
Local Channels Lookup

More than likely, we have your local channels! Enter your ZIP Code to find out if we carry your local channels in your area:
Zip Code: Check 23336

We're sorry, we do not carry local channels in your area.

I bet the OP could "move" to a nearby DMA. Anyone have spot beam maps?

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Just to throw it out there, did you ask DirecTV to submit the waivers? If you are a good distance from your DMA towers they may be able to give you the national feeds from NYC.

Keep in mind there is an additional charge for this. You get $3/mo off your base package for not having locals but have to pay for the distant network locals, something around $10 a month or so.

was thinking about this
how does significantly viewed work with directv?

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations112013.pdf
page 421

shows his county, Accomack, as having stations from Salisbury dma has SV's

In Most cases, SV doesnt work .... my experience with it is, you'd expect the other locals as well as the major ones, same as Cable has, but it doesnt work that way .....
Fwiw, Cable gets away with a lot because the two don't work under the same rules.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts