New Direct TV & Tivo DVR Delayed Again

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The hits just keep on coming!!!!!! Man what the heck is going on at D*? Liberty please get rid of it if this is the best you can do.

Preliminary reviews of the new flash based tivo have been poor with lots of lag, little use of cache and general slow performance. This could be a big reason for a delay. What TIVO has been doing alk these years R&D wise is beyond me.

I'm gonna call it: its never going to happen. Directv just put the deal out there to get their internal developers hopping on the internal dvr products and they're getting some features out there. MRV, the new search, fixing up mediashare, etc.

I dont think its even relevant anymore.

Tivo would be gone if they werent pulling in a bunch of cash from patents. Their marketing department is full of idiots and they havent released any significant new products or features in years.

Not surprising...

If the rumors are true about DISH buying TIVO then that would probably really mean we will never see it come to DIRECTV.

I have never thought this would see the light of day thats why when I see announcements or leaks I am not surprised or upset. Dont get me wrong, I love Tivo and would switch in a heartbeat but there has been something wrong from the get go and it has a minimal chance of becoming reality.

Not surprising...

If the rumors are true about DISH buying TIVO then that would probably really mean we will never see it come to DIRECTV.

I thought that it was Echostar maybe buying TiVo? That way,they could still make money no matter who uses TiVo technology. Could you imagine Charlie getting money from D* & the Cable companies to use Echostar/Sling Media/TiVo propriety software &/or technology?

Not surprising...

You did post several months ago about your disbelief that a Directv TIVO would ever be seen again. When I repeated it at DBSTalk, without your name since I didn't want to get banned (just kidding!), I was mocked! Can you imagine that, me being mocked! :eek: ;)

Oh, I dont think theres any doubt that the folks at dbstalk would spit out directvs unit long enough to ban someone who wasnt quite clearly a true believer.

After all, the folks over there want so badly to be hired by directv like Earl was that they'll even develop and publish low level marketing materials and air rumors for them.

Look at tivo premier . it is not what everyone hoped for it was late to come out and this is really a tivo issue. Some things i know dtv wants and tivo is not on board wiht like rvu-dlna compatibility. I bought the premier and then returned it 3 days later not work the money .

Everything sucks when its new. The first series 1 tivo's had a lot of issues the first year or two.

The directv dvr sucked for about 5 years. So I'd give the premier some time. I havent tried one out (although I might) but I'm betting a really solid internet connection smooths things out a fair bit. I've got a 20Mb/s service and a router that screams, so it might go well for me.

Good news is I have 30 days to decide whether I like it or not and if I dont I can get a refund. I'm not locked into two years of living with it...

rvu-dlna compliance is an interesting request, since the directv dvr's dont offer anything close to it, and from what I've seen from directv, they wouldnt offer it on their own products because its not encrypted/protected enough.

In case anyone reading this who doesnt study up on incredibly boring protocols, rvu-dlna is a group and a protocol that assures that any tv or tv-like appliance in the home can view anything from any storage device without any limitations or differentiation. So your playstation 3 or xbox 360 should display everything from an HR20 and the HR20 should play anything on a computer supporting the same protocols, without setting up a lot of crazy software with 32,000 settings that only works half the time.

Ehhh...good luck with that. If I could get anything close to that I'd sign up for a 4 year commitment....

Everything sucks when its new. The first series 1 tivo's had a lot of issues the first year or two.

The directv dvr sucked for about 5 years. So I'd give the premier some time. I havent tried one out (although I might) but I'm betting a really solid internet connection smooths things out a fair bit. I've got a 20Mb/s service and a router that screams, so it might go well for me.

Good news is I have 30 days to decide whether I like it or not and if I dont I can get a refund. I'm not locked into two years of living with it...

rvu-dlna compliance is an interesting request, since the directv dvr's dont offer anything close to it, and from what I've seen from directv, they wouldnt offer it on their own products because its not encrypted/protected enough.

In case anyone reading this who doesnt study up on incredibly boring protocols, rvu-dlna is a group and a protocol that assures that any tv or tv-like appliance in the home can view anything from any storage device without any limitations or differentiation. So your playstation 3 or xbox 360 should display everything from an HR20 and the HR20 should play anything on a computer supporting the same protocols, without setting up a lot of crazy software with 32,000 settings that only works half the time.

Ehhh...good luck with that. If I could get anything close to that I'd sign up for a 4 year commitment....

The RVU-DLNA does have a encyrption scheme for protecting content.

from the rvu alliance web page
How does RVU secure home networked content?
Commercial/copyrighted content is secured with DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protection over Internet Protocol.)

The RVU request was to future proof the unit. As RVU spec is what Directv is pushing for in the long run from there whole house units. and eventfully what used on all boxes fo mrv and 3rd party access devices , like pc's and xboxes and tv's

RVU-DLNA and DLNA are pretty similiar except rvu has better security option built into the spec and unlike generic dlna , rvu spec is about mimicing the experience of the ui ot the guest device . Basically if i watching it via a 360 or ps3 ( which should evenutally support rvu ) and i hit a button to bring up a guide i would get the famous blue "colecovison" UI that we all hate so much but the ui experence would be the same no mater what rvu client i was running.

Maybe Directv and Dish customers take a look at this product. Ultio Pro HD 1080p Media Center & PVR w/ 2TB SATA HDD

Not sure how directv would handle the encryption for non-pc's with rvu-dlna. It requires key sharing, the ability of the source device to encrypt and the ability of the receiving device to decrypt. Directv seems okay with doing this on pc's with their own version of the cyberlink player/directv2pc but I'm not sure how you'd get the key into a compliant television set and have it do decryption without a set top box in the middle. Which is doable today without any more tech funny business.

I just have to shake my head when it comes to all this layer-upon-layer encryption, key cards and security. I can get absolutely any tv show or movie for free 9000 different ways and any scheme someone comes up with is broken by some 19 year old in a couple of days.

Its like armor plating the barn when the horses are all running around outside. I know you have to kowtow to the organizations paying billions of dollars to ineffectively secure their crappy content, but its a stupid waste of money and a significant cost and complexity burden on the consumer.

Not sure how directv would handle the encryption for non-pc's with rvu-dlna. It requires key sharing, the ability of the source device to encrypt and the ability of the receiving device to decrypt. Directv seems okay with doing this on pc's with their own version of the cyberlink player/directv2pc but I'm not sure how you'd get the key into a compliant television set and have it do decryption without a set top box in the middle. Which is doable today without any more tech funny business.

I just have to shake my head when it comes to all this layer-upon-layer encryption, key cards and security. I can get absolutely any tv show or movie for free 9000 different ways and any scheme someone comes up with is broken by some 19 year old in a couple of days.

Its like armor plating the barn when the horses are all running around outside. I know you have to kowtow to the organizations paying billions of dollars to ineffectively secure their crappy content, but its a stupid waste of money and a significant cost and complexity burden on the consumer.

the key handling process is handled by the spec so if a tv like the new samsungs are comming out are rvu complaint they can already handle encryption decyrption aspect. DLNA clients will not be able to use RVU unless they get upgradeded to rvu complaint client software.

But that is just to encyrpt from point A to point B. even if someone broke the encryption which is very much possible as I subscribe to the belief of what man makes man can break. your still only going to get the channels you subscribe too. Not like you get HBO with out having to pay for it as the actually proegram decyrption is still being handled by NDS videogaurd encyprtion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)