New Directv Dish Older RCA Receiver...Please HELP!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mark670

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I just purchased a new directv dish (old one stolen). When I set up the dish and connected it to my original RCA receiver (5 years old) it will not download channels and program guide. :)

The dish meter indicates 94 strength.

Are newer dishes not compatible with old receivers?

If not is there an adaptor or am I going to have to buy a new receiver?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

What kind of dish is it? Is it a Phase III (3 LNB) dish? It may be pointing at the wrong satellite. Also, the dish type might need to be configured on the receiver.

Details

It is a new dual lnb dish. My old dish was also a dual lnb but did not say multi-satellite on the lnb.

Also my old reciever states it used the 101 satellite but when I lock it in on the given coordinates it is locking in on 110 according to my bird dog.

It downloads the time, date, and all of that, just not the channels.

Additional Details

The problem with that is the newer bird dogs do not have 101 programmed into them. If I got to the coordinates for 101 as specified by the receiver, I get the 110 satellite.

Also the receiver has different transponder settings ranging from 1-32. Any idea what that should be on to locate 101?

I found a tip on another site that stated 101 was about 15 degrees to the left of 119/110. Followed my compass to 212 azimuth and then started adjusting the tilt and FINALLY found 101 at almost 8 degrees more tilt than the receiver was suggesting.

In other words, I got lucky.

Everything is working great now.....

Thanks to all!

mark670 said:
and FINALLY found 101 at almost 8 degrees more tilt than the receiver was suggesting.
I'll bet the mast was not plumb. Not a big issue for pro's that setup multiple dishes every day with a signal meter, but very important to us DIY'ers.

Also, do you mean tilt/skew or elevation?

ok.. so this weekend I purchased a R15 DVR..
I have an old dish with 4 LNBs.. Hooked to the new receiver and 2 old receivers. The new receiver works the others are looking for signal.
I am guessing I have to move my dish??

Additionally, I only have one cable going into my new R15 and the Record a program does not seem to work at all.. it at first looks like it is going to record if I press the record button while the program is on.. and when it is on a scheduled record it then does not list on the "LIST" option.. Is this because I need to run a 2nd line from the LNB to the new receiver or did I buy ka ka.

Tilt/Skew.....

The mast was plumb, steel set in concrete with 3 magnetic levels attached while setting, I believe it was an elevation issue, I live in a very hilly area with a large zip code.

1duckie said:
ok.. so this weekend I purchased a R15 DVR..
I have an old dish with 4 LNBs.. Hooked to the new receiver and 2 old receivers. The new receiver works the others are looking for signal.
I am guessing I have to move my dish??

Additionally, I only have one cable going into my new R15 and the Record a program does not seem to work at all.. it at first looks like it is going to record if I press the record button while the program is on.. and when it is on a scheduled record it then does not list on the "LIST" option.. Is this because I need to run a 2nd line from the LNB to the new receiver or did I buy ka ka.

you have a 4 lnb dish?????

and ONE line in.

who installed it?? you?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)