New DIRECTV H20 MPEG-2/4 on sale

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Re: DirecTV profession install REQUIRED

I bought a Zenith HD-SAT520 from ValueElectronics.

I swapped out a broken receiver ALREADY ON MY ACCOUNT with the Zenith.

I called DirecTV. It goes well until she asks me for the 'Installer ID'. I say what installer Id, what is it? She says the ID of the installer that came out to do the install of the rcvr.

I said I did it. Just swapped the rcvrs around, and plugged in a few cables. And I get 100 just fine.

She went away for 5 minutes or longer to 'check something'

The CSR said that it is now required to have an installer for ANY DTV changes, but since it was already done, they would 'allow' it.

I am hoping that she was wrong (what, a CSR wrong :) ?) and it does not require installers to change equipment. That would be bad

REAL BAD

I have a newer home with all the cable run already, so I don't mind them installing the dish. I don't want to be up on a ladder. BUT where my main D* DVR is located is the brain central of my system, AND my cable/cord management has a lot to be desired.

When I upgrade I'll need to hook everything up or they could loosen my connections or worse. It is a menagerie. I've always had installers who go with the flow though.

My thing on this is I don't mind at all having the installer come do the installation. If they mess up something it's their fault. Now when it comes to our home theatre area, I do all the hookups. No one but me and a select few of people (wife, best friend, dad) touch the electronics. I need to know that they know what they're doing.

Is that a Samsung-made receiver? I was in the local Wal-Mart yesterday and I see them using the exact same receiver in their D* HD showcase. The only different is that the top left D* logo is replaced by Samsung.

Neutron said:
My thing on this is I don't mind at all having the installer come do the installation. If they mess up something it's their fault. Now when it comes to our home theatre area, I do all the hookups. No one but me and a select few of people (wife, best friend, dad) touch the electronics. I need to know that they know what they're doing.

Dude you let your wife touch the electronics? I envy you that you have a wife that knows what to do!!!

philhu said:

I bought a Zenith HD-SAT520 from ValueElectronics.

I swapped out a broken receiver ALREADY ON MY ACCOUNT with the Zenith.

I called DirecTV. It goes well until she asks me for the 'Installer ID'. I say what installer Id, what is it? She says the ID of the installer that came out to do the install of the rcvr.

I said I did it. Just swapped the rcvrs around, and plugged in a few cables. And I get 100 just fine.

She went away for 5 minutes or longer to 'check something'

The CSR said that it is now required to have an installer for ANY DTV changes, but since it was already done, they would 'allow' it.

I am hoping that she was wrong (what, a CSR wrong :) ?) and it does not require installers to change equipment. That would be bad

REAL BAD

I'm not discounting your story but that is very incorrect. I just bought a new DirecTivo last month from Best Buy to replace my old T-60 that died and I just called the number on the "quick start guide" and I was watching TV in 5 minutes. There is no requirement for professional installation.

My guess is that you may have called the number installers call.

I think that CSR was just an idiot. I had the same thing as BonScott happen to me last week, a Sat T-60 croaked and I replaced with a new unit I got at Circut City. I wound up speaking with three CSR's (first two times I called I got disconnected), none of whom informed me that I needed an installer.

Further, I have a question for those worried about an installer performing the HD upgrade (as an aside, I had a reseller tell me that D* was going to do a software via the sat, not a hardware upgrade, in order to not replace every box out there). What does is matter if D* has an installer come out and do a dish upgrade when necessary? The internal multiswitch in the dish, at least with mine, combines the SAT signals at the dish, and a coax is run straight from the dish to the box, 5x8 multiswitch, or whatever. Seeing as though the same cables running to the current dish will not have to be replaced, all there is involved for any installer is to swap a dish. All that is left for you is to just pull out your HD box and swap the cables. Not that complex, folks, even with built-ins.

philhu said:

I am hoping that she was wrong (what, a CSR wrong :) ?) and it does not require installers to change equipment. That would be bad REAL BAD

That just doesn't make much sense from a business point of view. If you have a bad receiver you should just be able to purchase a new one, plug it in with a new card and have them activate it. Why would they want to pay for someone to come out and do what 99% of their customers can do. If you need a new 3 LNB Dish I can understand that, as it needs to accurately aimed, but not for just a receiver.

The only reason I could see them wanting to do this would be to get into your home to look for illegal receivers, which they claim is impossible with the newest cards.

If I have a phone go bad, I just go and buy a new one and replace it. I don't have to have the phone company come and plug it in for me.

Chado said:
Dude you let your wife touch the electronics? I envy you that you have a wife that knows what to do!!!

There's two reasons behind this: One, is I taught her most everything she knows about the home theatre system. Two is, she helped pay for it. So if I didn't let her touch the home theatre system then she wouldn't let me forget about it.

bonscott87 said:
I just bought a new DirecTivo last month from Best Buy to replace my old T-60 that died and QUOTE]

Scott,

How long did you have your T-60 before it died it on you? I'm worried about mines. Thanks.

Matthew

I don't know WHY D* wouldn't want people to swap out their own recievers...... Quite honestly - it would save them money in installs. When the new 5LNB's come out - there is no way in HELL I'm letting the installer in my house. He can drop it off at the door, and I'll sign the paperwork stating he "installed" it and he can go sit at an all you can eat buffet for his install time, but, he's not comming in the house.

Upgraded to the HD Tivo and the 3 lnb dish in April. Don't get me started on how I felt after finding out about the Mpeg 4 conversion shortly thereafter. My question is, since there is 4 lines coming from the 3 lnb dish and the new dish is a 5 lnb unit, with 5 lines, will the installer only have to run 1 more line when the Mpeg 4 dish is installed?? Seems like it to me but, what do I know. All of this Mpeg 4 change over has my head spinning!! Tks in advance--Ray

raymo721 said:
Upgraded to the HD Tivo and the 3 lnb dish in April. Don't get me started on how I felt after finding out about the Mpeg 4 conversion shortly thereafter. My question is, since there is 4 lines coming from the 3 lnb dish and the new dish is a 5 lnb unit, with 5 lines, will the installer only have to run 1 more line when the Mpeg 4 dish is installed?? Seems like it to me but, what do I know. All of this Mpeg 4 change over has my head spinning!! Tks in advance--Ray

who in hell told you there 5 lines from the new dish, THEY ARE WRONG. they are the same as phase III, 4 lines out from the on board multiswitch.

jim tressler said:
Good news indeed! Did we ever get a definite answer on the multiswitch issue? Some said current triple lnb multiswitches were ok, others no..

the current phase III M/S are fine :)

Tele-TV said:
bonscott87 said:
I just bought a new DirecTivo last month from Best Buy to replace my old T-60 that died and

Scott,

How long did you have your T-60 before it died it on you? I'm worried about mines. Thanks.

Matthew

Over 4 years old. Got it in 2001. Hard drive finally kicked the bucket. It was time, the poor thing did it's duty. It was having problems with lockups and the green screen of death and I limped it along for a couple months but it finally decided enough was enough.

Neutron said:
sateck01, please calm down. Attacking other members will not be tolerated here. You've been warned.

neutron,

lets do this in public, ok?

as this site runs its forums, as long as the mod agrees with the poster, he is fine. if the poster disagrees with the mods opinions , he better watch what he says. correct?

sorry, screw that!!

i told that poster "once more in english" and you consider that a "personal attack"???

vurbano has flamed a lot of people on here, and has had a lot of posts deleted, was he warned??

how about vurbano saying " i thought IT was banned on sat guys" was that a personal attack???

here is his IT :shocked

i called the voom debacle correct, and they cant stand that!!

so neutron, please let me know what i have done wrong??

was vurbano warned also??

were his posts taken off??

please reply, in public, i have nothing to hide.

sateck01 said:
neutron,

lets do this in public, ok?

as this site runs its forums, as long as the mod agrees with the poster, he is fine. if the poster disagrees with the mods opinions , he better watch what he says. correct?

sorry, screw that!!

i told that poster "once more in english" and you consider that a "personal attack"???

vurbano has flamed a lot of people on here, and has had a lot of posts deleted, was he warned??

how about vurbano saying " i thought IT was banned on sat guys" was that a personal attack???

here is his IT :shocked

i called the voom debacle correct, and they cant stand that!!

so neutron, please let me know what i have done wrong??

was vurbano warned also??

were his posts taken off??

please reply, in public, i have nothing to hide.

dude chill out....this isn't the place for that. Many of us love SatGuys because we don't have to deal with this, so please take it somewhere else or to a seperate forum. Lets leave this thread on the new MPEG HD STB!

Thanks

asousa said:
dude chill out....this isn't the place for that. Many of us love SatGuys because we don't have to deal with this, so please take it somewhere else or to a seperate forum. Lets leave this thread on the new MPEG HD STB!

Thanks

asousa,

if i offend you or any other posters I AM SORRY.

ive been a tech for 6 years, robert is a dealer, and none of us have all the info. rupert does NOT release early info. dont like it....tough! that is how he conducts business.

scott, me, neutron, NONE of us know EXACTLY what is going to happen.

i will tell you one thing, whining to RUP that you want something for free, is not getting you ANYWHERE, he AINT ergen!!!

some thoughts,,

if you have a HD ird , the conversion will be free.

if you have an sd ird, you WILL pay. to upgrade to HD.

the HD tax?? if you want HD at least untill 2009 , you will pay extra, PERIOD.

until 2009 SD is the standard and HD is an upgrade.

scott, weve talked, what say you???

.....bob :cool:

lou_do said:
That just doesn't make much sense from a business point of view. If you have a bad receiver you should just be able to purchase a new one, plug it in with a new card and have them activate it. Why would they want to pay for someone to come out and do what 99% of their customers can do. If you need a new 3 LNB Dish I can understand that, as it needs to accurately aimed, but not for just a receiver.

The only reason I could see them wanting to do this would be to get into your home to look for illegal receivers, which they claim is impossible with the newest cards.

If I have a phone go bad, I just go and buy a new one and replace it. I don't have to have the phone company come and plug it in for me.

Well, sorry to say it, but she was an eeediot. She tried to sell me total choice plus, on the mirrored reciever at a discount. I said it was only $5 anyway, and she got flustered. I bet she turned to the wrong page in the script she reads from.

That would explain the whole thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)