New Directv HD DVR HR-20 is (not) available

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I do not have Directv as of yet. So I called them to see what it would take to sign up now with their current offer, and what it would take to get the new HR-20 when it came out. She told me to hold on, and when she came back, she told me that the HR-20 would be the HD DVR that I would get. I asked her to double check, she came back and said yes that was the one I would get. She explained that it had the MPEG 4 whatever, and that I could get my local HD broadcast with the 5 LNB dish since I lived in the Dallas, TX area.

Do you think this is true?

Well, I don't know what else to say. She was obviously reading from something, and told me it was the HR-20 model, with the MPEG 4 cabability, and that it was indeed the newest one available. She even went on to compair the new recording cabability vs the old one.

How about we all just take a day or two to say that this is all true. New HDDVR, MPEG4 and since we are already stretching things let's add that it is the end of PQ issues (not that there are as many as most seem to think here) and lets just throw in that we can receive all of the HD from all of the RSN's no matter where we live. Damn that feels good.

OK, screw all of you!!! I posted something that I was told by an individual at Directv. I thought it would be informative for all, but I guess not. Sorry I don't have a Dish mounted to my head like some of you do, and that I do not know all the ends and out of this stuff. I started coming to this site due to the fact that I have crappy cable, and wanted info on what system would be best for me.

Now I get these kinds of replies to my posting? Thanks for making me feel welcome, and I will enjoy my new HR20. So all of you can go bitch and complain about how terrible things are for you since Sat. 11345 was hit by an asteriod and now you cant get the Game Show Network!!!!!

mraudit said:
OK, screw all of you!!! I posted something that I was told by an individual at Directv. I thought it would be informative for all, but I guess not. Sorry I don't have a Dish mounted to my head like some of you do, and that I do not know all the ends and out of this stuff. I started coming to this site due to the fact that I have crappy cable, and wanted info on what system would be best for me.

Now I get these kinds of replies to my posting? Thanks for making me feel welcome, and I will enjoy my new HR20. So all of you can go bitch and complain about how terrible things are for you since Sat. 11345 was hit by an asteriod and now you cant get the Game Show Network!!!!!

mraudit,

I think what everyone was trying to tell you in a polite way: "Do not take CSRs information seriously". Some CSRs are clueless as to what is happening and also misinformed. Sometimes this is no fault of their own but as to their management for not training them or given them the correct information. That's all. No one is trying to insult your comment or intelligence. It is just that this has happened too many times already (CSRs being misinformed). Relax.

sensitive topic

The fact that DTV can not deal honestly with its customers on this issue is what has everyone on edge on this issue. Just a little information as to the status of the new HD DVRs or the exchange program they would have for those of us who own a HR10-250 (I am sure they have already thought of this) would be helpful. It's like they are guarding some big national secret -- how ridiculous. :mad:

mraudit,
If it does turn out that you do get the HR20-700 and not the HR10-250, please let us know, as we have no information as too what it looks like, features and menus ect.

I would be nice to finally get some info from someone that has actually used and have the unit in thier possassion. :)

Jimbo

Last edited:
Most companies to not post forward looking info far in advance. There is no conspiracy, and industry secrets are the name of the game as not to tip info to competitors too early of launches. You guys need to calm down about rumored items that have had no official press release info. Do we all want it? Sure. Do we all want it ASAP? Sure, but some of you are just nuts to not realize every company does the same thing.

I think at the very least they should let us know what the exchange program would be. It seems they are intentionally stringing people along so they will not switch to cable or Dish. Don't get me wrong I am going to stay with DTV because of Sunday Ticket, if it were not for that I would probably be gone by now. It seems like DTV likes to talk big, but delivers little in the HDTV area.

I think dumping all the info they have about the item would keep more people; and would also give heads up to anyone that might compete; they may have some industry surprises, I don't know; but that's just my opinion.

tell us something please

I don't think telling customers what the exchange program gives anyone else a competitive advantage. This item (like the HD DVRs that cable or Dish uses) would be specific to DTV.

The HR20 is set to beta test in the LA Market sometime around the first week of August. I can promise you that you will not get the HR20 because the only ones that I know of that actually exist are currently sitting in a warehouse in El Segundo.

The biggest giveaway in this story is that the "CSR" promised that a specific type of equipment would be installed. Other than general types of main receivers or advanced products e.g. standard IRD vs. D11-x00 or HD-DVR vs. HR10-250, CSRs have no way of knowing what is in who's warehouse and what specific equipment will be brought. In fact, they have no way of promising a specific receiver will be sent out of their own warehouses to a customer's residence. I've dealt with a few customers recently who were expecting replacement H20s and received H10s instead.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)