New Directv promos All Included

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mike6097

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I am a former Directv customer and my two years with Dish are up this month. The Directv website is advertising an All In package that includes up to 4 receivers, HD service and DVR for VERY reasonable rates. Anyone take advantage?

One more question...if I jump do you all recommend wired or wireless minis? I would be going 4 tv setup.

Thanks in advance and I love sat guys! Long time lurker, part time poster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While the Genie DVR is tops in the marketplace right now, consider the following points:

- Any minis (wireless or wireline) rely completely on the Genie. If the DVR goes down, so do they. Therefore, a recommendation is to include the latest non-Genie HD-DVR with your expected receivers. That way you have backup, and both DVRs will show their respectively recorded programs via Whole-Home DVR listing

- Wireless minis are quite fantastic -- we have one in our setup. Therefore, going either wired or wireless is purely a personal preference.

- Ask the installer for a SWiM-16 switch; you'll be in a much better position to handle both current and future upgrades. Google "SWiM 16" to find out more

- Since DirecTV operates on a leased receiver basis, don't hesitate to take the time to think about how you want your receivers set up (meaning which types and how many). Two-year contracts are renewed with any receiver change (mini or otherwise), so it's better to commit knowing how things will go beforehand than to change six months later and have to extend your contract

And as a final thought, don't get too bothered over 4K (if you are). Only the Genie HR54 receiver is currently capable of handling a single stream of 4K, and that requires a separate receiver on top of the Genie (doubling the lease fees) as well as requiring a beefy programming package. We are still a handful of years out from 4K being anywhere near as commonplace as HD is at the moment. Of course, if you can afford it, go for it, just realize that you won't be receiving much in terms of programming at this point.

I hope this helps!

While the Genie DVR is tops in the marketplace right now, consider the following points:

- Any minis (wireless or wireline) rely completely on the Genie. If the DVR goes down, so do they. Therefore, a recommendation is to include the latest non-Genie HD-DVR with your expected receivers. That way you have backup, and both DVRs will show their respectively recorded programs via Whole-Home DVR listing

- Wireless minis are quite fantastic -- we have one in our setup. Therefore, going either wired or wireless is purely a personal preference.

- Ask the installer for a SWiM-16 switch; you'll be in a much better position to handle both current and future upgrades. Google "SWiM 16" to find out more

- Since DirecTV operates on a leased receiver basis, don't hesitate to take the time to think about how you want your receivers set up (meaning which types and how many). Two-year contracts are renewed with any receiver change (mini or otherwise), so it's better to commit knowing how things will go beforehand than to change six months later and have to extend your contract

And as a final thought, don't get too bothered over 4K (if you are). Only the Genie HR54 receiver is currently capable of handling a single stream of 4K, and that requires a separate receiver on top of the Genie (doubling the lease fees) as well as requiring a beefy programming package. We are still a handful of years out from 4K being anywhere near as commonplace as HD is at the moment. Of course, if you can afford it, go for it, just realize that you won't be receiving much in terms of programming at this point.

I hope this helps!
Mike,
Do, think about what recvrs you will want down the road as in 6 months, year ...
Get them Now.
As maestro7 said, having a HR24 (non Genie HD DVR, but will work with a Genie set up) in your system will make it so if you ever do have an issue with your Genie, at least you have something to still watch.
Get them on the initial install as they will charge you as an upgrade afterwards.

Mike,
Do, think about what recvrs you will want down the road as in 6 months, year ...
Get them Now.
As maestro7 said, having a HR24 (non Genie HD DVR, but will work with a Genie set up) in your system will make it so if you ever do have an issue with your Genie, at least you have something to still watch.
Get them on the initial install as they will charge you as an upgrade afterwards.

Is there a fee for the HR24 with the fixed price for 2 year package? I found one link on the Directv site for $199. Do they charge this for a new cutomer?

Is there a fee for the HR24 with the fixed price for 2 year package? I found one link on the Directv site for $199. Do they charge this for a new cutomer?
Most of the time, yes, however, if you call and talk with them about what you want they may do something for you.
let them know your wanting to swap one for another and see what they have b to say.

An installer however is not going to just hook you up with a swm16. We really don't use them anymore now that digital swm is national. Plus there is no need for the swm16 barring international programming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

An installer however is not going to just hook you up with a swm16. We really don't use them anymore now that digital swm is national. Plus there is no need for the swm16 barring international programming.

my buddy has RBLNB's for 4k's but no DSWMs. maybe they're just being cheap?

A reverse band lnb is a digital swm lnb. Digital swm is a technology not just a product. There are 4 current lnbs that are all considered dswms.

Thank you for the responses. Prices are right and the jump is coming. Genie is 5 tuner correct? Any insight on the future with the new hopper having so many more tuners? I love the technology advances!

Thank you for the responses. Prices are right and the jump is coming. Genie is 5 tuner correct? Any insight on the future with the new hopper having so many more tuners? I love the technology advances!

Yes, current Genies have 5 tuners.

I am a former Directv customer and my two years with Dish are up this month. The Directv website is advertising an All In package that includes up to 4 receivers, HD service and DVR for VERY reasonable rates. Anyone take advantage?

One more question...if I jump do you all recommend wired or wireless minis? I would be going 4 tv setup.

Minis don't have a tuner. And a Genie only has five tuners, With four TV being watch at the same time, it will be almost impossible to record.

AT&T has stated new equipment will be out by 2018 that will handle their cable & satellite in one box. Any other improvement beyond that is a complete mystery. But 4K should have more standards by then. and more tuners should be the norm by then also.

I just had Dtv installed with all in package but u need to be ATT customer as well to get locked pricing for 2 years - $75 for ultimate includes combined billing discount with ATT of $10 per month -24 months no increase I pay $3.80 for sports fee and small tax bill is $84 a month - incredible deal for that many channels in two years will rethink options - I got HR54 and 2 c51 minis I only have three TVs

Reactions: Jimbo

Yes and no, the HR54 has 2 additional tuners that will someday be used for 4K from the RB satellite transponders. So, you have to figure they require 7 swim spaces.

Yes and no, the HR54 has 2 additional tuners that will someday be used for 4K from the RB satellite transponders. So, you have to figure they require 7 swim spaces.
Question, you said the HR54 has 7 tuners (extra 2 for 4k) are these extra tuners usable if your not using 4k ? Making this recvr able to use 7 tuners ?

What is the total outlay for DTV for TWO years compared to a free upgrade to the Hopper3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)