New Directv Subscriber Sports Blackout/Local Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkelet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Hi all,

New Directv subscriber, recently had it installed last week. Now where i live is an issue regarding local channels and local sports area. I live between Philly and NYC, and am so confused on blackouts and what i can or cannot look forward to.

According to Directv website i am considered in a NY sports area, but have Philly local channels???

Bought the CI package because i am a Flyers fan. I figured i was in the NYC sports area, so i should get all Flyers game except VS games. Fine, first night i got it, the game was blackout??? But i got the last w games, so now i'm confused.

I'm also a NY Mets fan, will i have to buy the baseball package to get the games?? i have SNY, but not the local NY channel, although that will not effect me because i still have basic cable because of the internet.

Ok on to NFL, being a NY Giants fan, will i be blacked out from Sunday Ticket (which i will purchase) , but i don't have the local NY channels.

I'm so confused, sorry for the rambling, any insight would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Philly local channels will get you the Eagles for the NFL on FOX since that is the home area. You may receive the Giants as well, but its not guaranteed as the Eagles are the main team for that area.

The NHL, NBA, and MLB do things differently. They broadcast the majority of their games on a regional sports network. You will have to enter your zip code into Directv's sports team lookup tool to find out exactly which teams you are entiltled to receive.

In a nutshell, the NY sports area will get you NY sports for NHL, NBA, and MLB, but having Philly local channels will get you Philly teams by default that are aired on those channels.

I'm in a similar situation where I live. I live in Michigan so I get Michigan teams, but have Green Bay, WI local channels. So I get Red Wings, Pistons, and Tigers on the Michigan sports network, but get the Packers instead of the Lions on my local FOX.

Let it be known that the leagues / teams make up the claimed market areas and those areas are "enforced" by your TV provider; by service zip code. You can use the online DirecTV market tool and enter your zip and see what you should expect based on the packages you have.

If you post your zip we may be able to figure out why your CI game was blacked out. It usually means that a channel that is considered local is carrying the game and by rule the league wants you to view it there as opposed to a sports package (league pass). "Local" can mean local network affiliate OR local/regional sports net.

Seems that even though you are in a local PA TV market; the NY/NJ area sports teams claim your area as their markets.

SPORTS:

The 08691 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):

Yankee Ent. & Sports (YES) (Ch. 631) - HD Available
# New Jersey Nets (HD Available)
# Yankees (HD Available)

Madison Square Garden (Ch. 634) - HD Available
# New Jersey Devils (HD Available)
# New York Islanders (HD Available)
# New York Knicks (HD Available)
# New York Rangers (HD Available)

MSG Plus (Ch. 635) - HD Available
# New Jersey Devils (HD Available)
# New York Islanders (HD Available)
# New York Knicks (HD Available)
# New York Rangers (HD Available)

SportsNet New York (Ch. 639) - HD Available
# Mets (HD Available)

LOCALS

Local Channels Lookup

More than likely, we have your local channels! Enter your ZIP Code to find out if we carry your local channels in your area:
Zip Code:

Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Philadelphia PA 08691 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below.

That's what's baffling me. When i had cable i had both all NYC and Philly local channels, and both CSN Philly, MSG, SNY, etc

Thanks

Sounds like you may need the sports pack. That will give you all the RSN's that Directv has available, but on the downside it costs extra. I have CI and the sports pack so I can watch the Red Wings down here in KY and I get all the games on Fox Sports Detroit unless they're showing on NHL Network, NBC, or the Crapcast idiots at Versus.

Another downside is that I can't watch the Pistons because I don't have the NBA League Pass and the games are blacked out on the RSN's. Doesn't bother me much anyway, not that big of a basketball fan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts