New Dish customers read these existing customer posts

Personally, as a HT enthusiast who is just trying to get some HD signals fed to my new HDTV at a reasonable cost I feel that this post was very informative to me. I have Directv now and am very dissappointed with the LACk of hd programming available. It's simply not worth it for me to pay my provider 400 bux for a HD DVR thats going to get a total of 8 (this number is likely wrong but not too far off) HD channels (and i see now HD lite being mentioned frequently).
I called Dish to get the scoop and they wanted the 250 for the HD dvr up front for a grand total of 8 available HD channels. ALso the salesman was trying to be more of a closer and not really giving the technical info that I was asking about. I should have guessed that when I was asked for my name address and tel# from the get go. What does that have to do with providing me info so I can make an informed decision?
I realize that the sat providers do not create HD programming they just deliver it. But it seems that there is much ballyhoo being made from the sat providers about how wonderful everything is about to be until it gets down to brass tacks. It seems unfair that people paid big $ for hardware that is not capable of receiving the newly offered channels. The providers should give you the hardware for almost free and realize that people will only take so much before they dump the service, in a sense cutting off the nose to spite the face but people will only take so much. :confused:

jmastanduno said:
I called Dish to get the scoop and they wanted the 250 for the HD dvr up front for a grand total of 8 available HD channels.

Dish has 23 basic HD, 2 premium HD (HBO, Sho) and two pending HD (Food, HGTV) channels.

waltinvt said:
No, it has nothing to do with "bragging rights"; it has to do with making investments in something we enjoy and expecting receive the value we were promised. If we "oh hum" and continue to accept it, then Dish and others will continue to do it.

Again right you are!!

Thanks Walt....

Walt, you have hit E* dead-bang. I am one of the long-time E* subs that is switching to D*. Where I live, DBS is the only option and I have been the lone E* sub for miles around. Cable doesn't run to the sticks and FIOS will never get out this far.

I have been a satellite user since 1986 when it was nothing but a BUD in the front yard. I have been an E* sub since 1997. During that time I have suffered through the receiver upgrades and software glitches. Upgrades were always within reason and the service generally good----until the last few years.

The information on this site has been invaluable and kept me from purchasing a 942 when we knew MPEG 4 was going to roll out. I can't thank you guys enough!:D Sure, you may not get told that if you wait you'll get a better model at every store, but the ones that are honest with me show that they care about me as a possible customer and as a future customer. That kind of company gets my dollars every time.

E*'s practices are not and have not been ethical and they have shown that they could care less about current or long term, loyal customers. So I am voting with my dollars and switching to D*. I figure I'll cut my losses now before it gets worse. Sure, D* may not have any more or better HD than E* and their new receivers may be buggy, but as a DBS sub in the sticks, I don't have an alternative. That's why this forum and Walt's post is so important. People need to KNOW and users shouldn't be slammed because they post something that someone doesn't happen to agree with. If it informs, which is what this site does, then that is good.

I guess what I really don't understand is why a company would resist taking care of its best customers; high-end customers with stable payment histories and years of loyalty. Satisfied customers are the foundation of any service company and that is what we are paying for---a service. E* has dropped the ball on the service end of the equation. You always have to ask, "Are you getting what you pay for"? E* may boast of more HD channels than any other provider, but look at the content we are asked to pay for and the picture quality. I just can't justify paying premium prices for equipment and services that are not premium quality, no matter how many channels they are broadcasting. So, bottom line is that D* gets my dollars as of my Saturday install.

I have been with dish since Oct 96. I have never had a problem with them. Even when 3 hurricanes stuck where I live (Palm Bay, Fl), My TV's still worked (generator power for 8 days). My neighbours on cable were without TV for 8 days. Every time I have called Dish they have been polite and knowledgable. I have never had an equipment problem.
The other side of the story.

tunagimp said:
I agree and hope you are correct about this "owner" upgrade plan. They could shut up a lot of folks by announcing something about this like, today.

But then, my 6 week old 942 has a one year warranty.

On day 91 after activation, when a leased 622 eats a hard drive due to operator error, what happens then? Does your lease fee cover this?

Is there a mandatory "Maintenance Plan" fee in our future?

What I can't beleive is a 6 week old 942 (which just lost a lot of it's resale value because it can not be sold & recactivated as an HD receiver) owner ( who can NOT receive ANY new HD channels *E adds on said 942) not screaming the loudest about this mess.

Well i don't care what anybody says WALT you have done new customers a service. Don't get me wrong E* has its up side but come on this phantom Mpeg 4 switch. Tech chat Mpeg4 is not ready for PRIME TIME. Oh wait i was just BS'n YA. Ok we are ready for Mpeg 4 on FEB 1. HA HA no we are not. Shut up and pay up. Then the people that say oh no its all your fault thats what you get and so on and so on.. Well from the looks of it that is bad Business!!

Jordan420 said:
What I can't beleive is a 6 week old 942 (which just lost a lot of it's resale value because it can not be sold & recactivated as an HD receiver) owner ( who can NOT receive ANY new HD channels *E adds on said 942) not screaming the loudest about this mess.

Oh yea I forgot this tidbit!! SO true SO TRUE!

OK...time for my two cents.

Walt..thank you for standing up and pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes!

I was suprised to see so many detractors on your stance...I guess we shall place them in the people that dont want us to pay attention to whats behind the curtain.

I myself am a Directv Subscriber and have felt the same about D* as you do about E*. Im really interested in finding E*'s explanation about the MPEG2 MPEG4 fiasco.

However, before you leap to D* read the D* links they mirror the E* links. I myself have had that same sick feeling like I was taken or betrayed just a couple months ago. I had a huge 3 lnb dish, 5 lnb dish issue. Felt I was lied to, I felt cheated.

Anyway Ive been waiting for FIOS myself to see what they have to offer. I dont know if they are going to be the white knight or not. But something tells me there will be FIOS threads(are they known as F* or V*?) in the not so distant future.

I think much like D* and E* are getting together on projects I think D* and E* subscribers should band together to let our concerns known.

I also think we should temper our anger with the realization that during the next year or two this is truly the HD revolution. And with any new technology there are going to be major mistakes.

I think we all agree that D* and E* should be more forthcoming with their customers and in turn the customers would be more understanding.

The long run

Guys, in the long run we will win. E* is sticking it to us now, but internet TV is in the pipe and I think we really haven't seen anything yet. MP3s have taught the Music Industry a lesson. VoIP are starting to teach the Bells a lesson, and E* will get what it deserves.

How many times does a business prof have to state how much more it costs to get new customers than to keep existing ones? I have no loyalty to this excuse for a company, and jumping at the next alternative is something I will not blink at doing. All I can think of is that if I had the customer base of E*’s, all giving me on average $100 a month, I would kiss the ground my customers walked on. E* on the other hand is reaching farther into our pockets… with out giving us a reach around.

I was on the phone with a CSR supervisor yesterday who told me that ‘it will be a sad day for us (at Dish Network) when you leave’. If that we only really true… and for all of your posting positive comments about E*, don’t believe the Hype, your getting it like the rest of us are.:down

I'm jumping from D* to E* and I can see both sides of the issue. I've been researching the whole Dish to mpeg4 issue for over 3 months now and I really do not feel bad for anyone that purchased or leased a 942 in the last 3 months and now wants the new channels. The info has been out there if you had done your homework.

They are going to make those channels mpeg4 when the encoders are working better. If they turn them on now and then when they have everything setup turn them off, I bet a much larger group would bitch. I can see them saying "You gave us Espn2, Universal and the new vooms yet you take them away and then expect us to pay to get them back!"

Mpeg4 means more room for hd channels which is what we all want in the long run. Its not like they are doing it to be a pain in the ass.

My 2 cents,
Scooby

scooby2 said:
...If they turn them on now and then when they have everything setup turn them off, I bet a much larger group would bitch. I can see them saying "You gave us Espn2, Universal and the new vooms yet you take them away and then expect us to pay to get them back!"
HBO and Showtime do it all the time. They call it a "Free Preview Weekend". They run a crawl along the screen telling you what's going on. Dish could do that too.

I'll stick with Dish for now because even with the flaws they are the best option for me at the moment. Unless the deal on mpeg4 changes I will probably keep my 811 until they kill mpeg2 hd.

Right now none of the providers are all that great , I think in the future a HD video disc player with a Netflix account will be the best picture and value combined with my HTPC HD OTA DVR. Just have to wait for the hybrid players.

mdonnelly said:
HBO and Showtime do it all the time. They call it a "Free Preview Weekend". They run a crawl along the screen telling you what's going on. Dish could do that too.
Who says Dish won't do that? People here are wanting all 7+ channels until the mpeg4 issue is fixed. Say its June when this happens, then you have a large number of pissy people who had 7+ channels for 4 months and then its taken away. Thats a lot of work. Do you make Dish upgrade them to the metal plans and then when they go mpeg4 only do those people get screwed? Do they have to all be downgraded to the previous plans? There really is not a good answer but Dish has decided to take this approach. What if they get the mpeg4 issue worked out next week? Then this whole argument is a completely moot point. They want to use the extra space for HD LiL so moving to mpeg4 is a must.

scooby2 said:
Who says Dish won't do that? People here are wanting all 7+ channels until the mpeg4 issue is fixed. Say its June when this happens, then you have a large number of pissy people who had 7+ channels for 4 months and then its taken away. Thats a lot of work. Do you make Dish upgrade them to the metal plans and then when they go mpeg4 only do those people get screwed? Do they have to all be downgraded to the previous plans? There really is not a good answer but Dish has decided to take this approach. What if they get the mpeg4 issue worked out next week? Then this whole argument is a completely moot point. They want to use the extra space for HD LiL so moving to mpeg4 is a must.

Oh please... why are you arguing their side of the story for them? Are you pro Dish people really employees? Come on, I bought a 921 for the best of the best in HD DVR technology. After returning the first unit and waiting a year and a half and paying my bills I get the shaft. I’m now asked to fork over another 700 for a grand total of 1,400 just to get a decent amount of HD channels. All I really want is the network feeds as I’m eligible. How about dropping some of the garbage channels to make room? Work with the customer? Nope. Why are you even trying to defend these guys???

faster68 said:
Oh please... why are you arguing their side of the story for them? Are you pro Dish people really employees? Come on, I bought a 921 for the best of the best in HD DVR technology. After returning the first unit and waiting a year and a half and paying my bills I get the shaft. I’m now asked to fork over another 700 for a grand total of 1,400 just to get a decent amount of HD channels. All I really want is the network feeds as I’m eligible. How about dropping some of the garbage channels to make room? Work with the customer? Nope. Why are you even trying to defend these guys???
I love how you say I must be a dish employee just because I can see where they are coming from. I've been a D* sub for 5+ years. I didn't know jack sh*t about E* until directv decided to go with this stupid national hd rollout plan. If you can afford multiple HD tv's, you can obviously afford the $50 211 fee and the $300 622 lease fees. The receivers dont just grow on trees. Remember they need to make money to stay in business. Eating the cost of a free exchange is not going to help the bottom line.

faster68 said:
Oh please... why are you arguing their side of the story for them? Are you pro Dish people really employees?

What an interesting question. Are "you critics" really D* employees?

I have some sympathy for those who recently paid a lot of money for equipment, and must now upgrade, once again, to have the 'best of the best'. But, when we moved last year we gave away a bunch of what WAS the best of the best - a TV, and AV receiver, a 1st gen X Box console, etc. I also have a 3900 DISH receiver and a 4900 sitting in a closet. It's electronics, it happens, there is a cost to being an 'early adopter'.

Based on the excellent information I gleaned from this forum, we jumped into HDTV in November by leasing a 942 for $250. Had I not been offered the lease deal I wouldn't have jumped. $700 seemed like a lot of money to spend on something I KNEW would lose functionality in the short-term. I was willing to spend the $250 not knowing whether it would 'pay off' when the future happened.

The HD offerings when I started with HD were not all that compelling. Obviously, during this transition, they still aren't. But, I jumped to get in for the promise of INCREASING content. That's happening (sooner than I expected, a good thing), and I'm willing to be patient to let it shake out. Sometime in April, I'll call and make the upgrade switch to get locals and the new channels. It will cost me something more. Until then, I'm getting what I paid for when I paid it.

I feel like I should be angry that I'm getting HD content now, will see the Super Bowl in HD (I'm one of the 'lucky ones' in the LA area), and have the promise of locals and other offerings in just a couple of months. But, I'm not angry. Maybe I should apply for a job at DISH?

CB

ChefBoy said:
What an interesting question. Are "you critics" really D* employees?

I have some sympathy for those who recently paid a lot of money for equipment, and must now upgrade, once again, to have the 'best of the best'. But, when we moved last year we gave away a bunch of what WAS the best of the best - a TV, and AV receiver, a 1st gen X Box console, etc. I also have a 3900 DISH receiver and a 4900 sitting in a closet. It's electronics, it happens, there is a cost to being an 'early adopter'.

Based on the excellent information I gleaned from this forum, we jumped into HDTV in November by leasing a 942 for $250. Had I not been offered the lease deal I wouldn't have jumped. $700 seemed like a lot of money to spend on something I KNEW would lose functionality in the short-term. I was willing to spend the $250 not knowing whether it would 'pay off' when the future happened.

The HD offerings when I started with HD were not all that compelling. Obviously, during this transition, they still aren't. But, I jumped to get in for the promise of INCREASING content. That's happening (sooner than I expected, a good thing), and I'm willing to be patient to let it shake out. Sometime in April, I'll call and make the upgrade switch to get locals and the new channels. It will cost me something more. Until then, I'm getting what I paid for when I paid it.

I feel like I should be angry that I'm getting HD content now, will see the Super Bowl in HD (I'm one of the 'lucky ones' in the LA area), and have the promise of locals and other offerings in just a couple of months. But, I'm not angry. Maybe I should apply for a job at DISH?

CB
I have taken almost the same road as you, but here are my problems with what Dish is doing:

They promise that we would get us all the original VOOM channels before the end of the year.. That did not happen.

The other thing that bothers me is let they should let us existing HD customers see the new HD channels since they are MPEG 2. Why can't they do that since all their loyal current customers will not have the new MPEG 4 DVR equipment till sometime in April.:mad: and no I am not a *D emplyee..