New Dish Network Pricing

NO only in digital not HD. That pertains to ota stations not cable or satellite. So your ota locals will be in digital but it could still be 480i.

BUT, more channels, if they know what's good for them, will be switching to HD anyway, because you can hardly find an SD TV anymore, and SD picture quality is anywhere from fair to complete crap, depending on bit rate, when scaled up to an HD display of any decent size. (Unless you buy a video processor costing more than a large mid-quality TV.) So in effect, HD will be the new norm, and thus the providers should not be treating it as a premium service!

Why do they always screw AEP, the people that pay the most. They at least need to start throwing in the Sports Pak into AEP at least give us something.

If I just paid my annual subscription for AT200 (no locals) in mid-December, I would keep that price locked in up until my annual subscription is due next December, correct?

AT100 Plus is probably the route I will go next year. At these prices, I can't see why they don't just roll the HD versions of particular packages into AT100, AT100+, AT200, etc. At least that way, we'd all feel like we were getting more bang for the buck. I'd think about Direct, but it always looks as though they are a bit higher anyways.

Why do they always screw AEP, the people that pay the most. They at least need to start throwing in the Sports Pak into AEP at least give us something.

I'm not even an AEP customer and I agree with that. If you're paying for everything, you should get everything. In my opinion, the AT100+ shouldn't even exist and they should give everybody their own regional sports channels (just as you AEP people should get them all). Of course, I don't make the decisions for DISH... But if DISH listened to this website, they'd be much better off! :)

What will we do when everything is in HD? Will the $20 HD package be gone and we'll just have the America's Top packages with everything in HD? I thought by sometime in 2009 there will be no more SD channels and everything has to be broadcast in HD.

*sigh* One of the biggest misconceptions. There is NO requirement for everything to be HD in 2009. The only mandate is that in 2009 all TERRESTRIAL over the air local broadcast stations must stop broadcasting analog, and switch to broadcasting digital. There is no requirement for them to broadcast HD. They could broadcast HD, SD, Youtube quality video, or damn Morse Code if they wanted to. They just have to do it in a digital format. You do NOT have to have an HDTV. All new televisions manufactured now, weather they be SD or HD MUST have a digital tuner built in. Older TVs without digital tuners will require a converter box. This has nothing to do with Satellite or Cable. Only broadcast.

If all the channels go HD, then the 622/722 HD DVR are worthless, because the second tuner will not broadcast in HD, and the hassle calling CSR will begin...

If all the channels go HD, then the 622/722 HD DVR are worthless, because the second tuner will not broadcast in HD, and the hassle calling CSR will begin...

We are only dreaming if ALL channels are going hd. Trust me. Your 622 or 722 is going to be good for many years.:)

if the hd pack is dropped to 10 bux from 20 and 5 for the extra hd .. would be 5 bux less than previously + a 5 bux increate on AEP.. means I'm breaking even?

if the hd pack is dropped to 10 bux from 20 and 5 for the extra hd .. would be 5 bux less than previously + a 5 bux increate on AEP.. means I'm breaking even?

If I'm reading everything in this thread correctly, then under that scenario you would be losing some HD programming.

The HD pack that you have now will stay the same price. Thus is not included on this chart.

However I am hearing a good rumor that Dish is launching 2 more HD packages, one that is $9.99 another another one. (I don't know what the other one costs nor do I know whats included in the packges)

I am sure we will find out in the next few weeks.

Perhaps they are separating the HD only channels and/or the Vooms? Can we use the new D* HD package structure as a model for speculation?

No, they would downconvert to them to SD for TV2 just like with the HD channels now.

Let's see this way, at some point next year, for different reasons, some people will only have in their house HDTV, so the 622/722 HD/DVR will give you SD in a HDTV.....

I don't know if the AEP folks get the shaft per se. It's probably more along the lines of a % increase across the board. Since AEP costs more from the start, the increase is going to be larger.

Oh, I agree, a flat-rate % increase across the board will appear to hit AEP subs harder due to base package price. Guess what I was getting at was more along the lines that we don't get big breaks on promo's, receiver upgrades (some breaks, but not as big as the lower-tier receivers), etc.

It'd be nice to get a few discounts, being the "whale subs", from time to time...

I suspect that if the rumers of a $9.99 HD pack and a 3rd HD pack are true, the $9.99 pack will be the 110 HD channels only, and the 3rd pack would be the rest of the HD channels that are included with your package except Voom for perhaps an additional $5.00, the current $20 package would still be available and still include Voom and all the channels in the new package's. Other words HD would have 3 tiers, HD110 Basic $9.99, HD Full Basic $14.99, HD plus Voom (or whatever marketing names the packages) $20.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts