New Dish Network Pricing

I suspect that if the rumers of a $9.99 HD pack and a 3rd HD pack are true, the $9.99 pack will be the 110 HD channels only, and the 3rd pack would be the rest of the HD channels that are included with your package except Voom for perhaps an additional $5.00, the current $20 package would still be available and still include Voom and all the channels in the new package's. Other words HD would have 3 tiers, HD110 Basic $9.99, HD Full Basic $14.99, HD plus Voom (or whatever marketing names the packages) $20.

I think that they should just have a tech fee like DIRECTV, that allows all subs with an hd receiver to see all the hd channels available in their programming packs. THE Voom channels , and any other hd channels without an sd equivalent , should be spun off into their own extra pack . THen you could pay for the extra channels if you wanted to. If HD is going to be the norm instead of the exception , then DISH should make it so anyone that has the hd receiver pays the tech fee . It makes no sense to have an enableing fee of $7.00 to NOT have hd . Giving people access to the hd channels for a small tech fee does make sense and you would collect the fee uniformly from all hd receiver subs. Then if people had the hd channels & they would want to upgrade to more hd they would want to buy the extra pack channels , just to see what they are missing.

I think that they should just have a tech fee like DIRECTV, that allows all subs with an hd receiver to see all the hd channels available in their programming packs. THE Voom channels , and any other hd channels without an sd equivalent , should be spun off into their own extra pack . THen you could pay for the extra channels if you wanted to. If HD is going to be the norm instead of the exception , then DISH should make it so anyone that has the hd receiver pays the tech fee . It makes no sense to have an enableing fee of $7.00 to NOT have hd . Giving people access to the hd channels for a small tech fee does make sense and you would collect the fee uniformly from all hd receiver subs. Then if people had the hd channels & they would want to upgrade to more hd they would want to buy the extra pack channels , just to see what they are missing.

I agree the $7.00 enabling fee is dumb, I too would prefer the $9.99 pack to be an HD Activation fee with a $5 HD Extra pack and Voom another $5, however if they do what I have predicted, the $14.99 package would be simaler to the D* HD Activation + HD Extra pack, not perfect but much better then the all or nothing that is available from E* today .

TV is just getting too dang expensive. AEP pricing is utterly rediculous. I got rid of that package along with some other channels and some additional satellite receivers on my account a few years ago and then got rid of superstations last year to try to cut back on the bill and its still higher than I think it should be. I pay annually for the service right before the rate increase each year to save a little bit of money. DirecTv is looking better and better each year. Isn't their programming packages been cheaper the past few years particularly the ones with the local channels? If I didn't like the way the Dish Network dual tuner receivers were setup I would have seriously considered switching.

Seeing that a basic package is going to be $33 (I do not count DishFamily as a "TRUE" basic package) compared to $20 about 7 years ago that seems like a HUGE increase in that amount of time. It will most likely be $35 in 2009 and to get locals thats $5 more. The basic package should have only went up maybe $5 during the past 5 or 6 years, not $13.

TV is just getting too dang expensive. AEP pricing is utterly rediculous. I got rid of that package along with some other channels and some additional satellite receivers on my account a few years ago and then got rid of superstations last year to try to cut back on the bill and its still higher than I think it should be. I pay annually for the service right before the rate increase each year to save a little bit of money. DirecTv is looking better and better each year. Isn't their programming packages been cheaper the past few years particularly the ones with the local channels? If I didn't like the way the Dish Network dual tuner receivers were setup I would have seriously considered switching.

Seeing that a basic package is going to be $33 (I do not count DishFamily as a "TRUE" basic package) compared to $20 about 7 years ago that seems like a HUGE increase in that amount of time. It will most likely be $35 in 2009 and to get locals thats $5 more. The basic package should have only went up maybe $5 during the past 5 or 6 years, not $13.

thats bang on , I too have dropped additional receiver & superstation packs , I even cut back to 2 movie packages but its just as much as aep because of DVR fees , when is enuf enuff , you should get all for $100 plus tax not $120+:mad:

F*** all these price increases. TV has nothing decent on these days yet it goes up 500% above inflation. Gas, heating costs, lousy 3% raises at most jobs if your lucky. Give me NHL Center ice and the HD pak only and screw all the AT packages and premium channels that splash the logo's on the screen and show ads during the credits.

I suspect any new $9.99 HD pack is to counter all of the unhappy customers paying the current $6 HD Disabling Fee; which would be a group of customers more likely to drop service with Dish, further agitating the board members who are not happy with a slow down in new customers.

The $6 fee is still going to irritate those customers in area's where Dish does not provide the local digital/HD channels.

However, for the area's where Dish does provide you with your local digital/HD channels, they may be able to get some customers to pay $9.99 for those digital locals plus the HD version of a few SD channels they currently get.

But in reality, you would be paying about $15, to get locals, digital locals, local sports network in HD, and a couple of other HD versions. And maybe they'll keep the Fish Channel on 61.5 and the HD Test channel (5710?).

I still don't think customers should have to pay a DVR Fee and and HD OTA Reception Fee when they own their equipment. I guess I'll just wait and see what they do.

It would be nice if AEP now included the basic HD package (i.e. all the HD channels in AEP). One could then opt for VOOM.

Last month I busted my 2DVR, AEP+locals + extra stuff package that was $139/month back to AT250, 1DVR (a 622) + locals. I should now be in the 70-80$/month range.

The big thing besides saving a bunch of cash was there really isnt much on HBO to watch right now and the other channels are lacking as well.
Much of what I watch is HD OTA and HD locals (CBS CSI, etc). What I do like is the Dish 622 receiver. It is really really good, blows my old Tivo away.

I suspect any new $9.99 HD pack is to counter all of the unhappy customers paying the current $6 HD Disabling Fee; which would be a group of customers more likely to drop service with Dish, further agitating the board members who are not happy with a slow down in new customers.

I have a 9.99 HD pack now but for some reason that does not eliminate the fee for me. About a 1/3 of my bill is fees now then add in the $1 increase, lack of interesting programing on HBO and I've been considering dropping service completely. If this new package turns out to be as rumored I would might go for it, I'd pay more over all but at least I'd get programing instead of endless fees.

I suspect that if the rumers of a $9.99 HD pack and a 3rd HD pack are true, the $9.99 pack will be the 110 HD channels only, and the 3rd pack would be the rest of the HD channels that are included with your package except Voom for perhaps an additional $5.00, the current $20 package would still be available and still include Voom and all the channels in the new package's. Other words HD would have 3 tiers, HD110 Basic $9.99, HD Full Basic $14.99, HD plus Voom (or whatever marketing names the packages) $20.

Maybe the "HD MAX"

... It makes no sense to have an enableing fee of $7.00 to NOT have hd ...

You DO get some HD when you pay the enabling fee. You get the OTA tuner activated for all of your digital OTA locals, and you also get your HD locals on satellite and your RSN if it is in HD. For $7 that is only 6 channels at most off the satellite.

I never thought VOOM would have any channels me or my family would watch. Now my oldest son has discovered the video game channel and he loves it. Don't want to see that go away, but to save $10 I would cut off VOOM.

I like that name :), perhaps they could be called HD Limited Basic $9.99, HD Full Basic for $14.99 or better yet to be cheaper then D* HD Activation + HD Extra, charge $12.99 or $13.99, and then HD Max for $20.
How about this (more realistic)
10 dollars for the Alaska/HA pack..20 dollars for the current HD pack and 30 dollars for thos of us that want Usa-HD,SCIFI-HD, Chiller-HD MOJO-HD and Smithonian Hd

How about this (more realistic)
10 dollars for the Alaska/HA pack..20 dollars for the current HD pack and 30 dollars for thos of us that want Usa-HD,SCIFI-HD, Chiller-HD MOJO-HD and Smithonian Hd

That's what I have been afraid of since Scott G. said three hd packs. A third one that cost more than we already pay for HD but includes the hd channels that we have been waiting for. If this is the case, I see a problem.

IT shouldn't cost anymore for the new hd channels than what we already pay for Sci-fi, Usa, Fx, etc. Those deals for the sd version are already negoiated and I don't see how they can charge that much more for the hd version.

Now if you want to spin off the channels that don't have a sd simulcast, like Voom , Hdnet, Universal, Smithsonian, etc into an Extra pack and price them more I could see it. But that too will cause problems . Look at what the Directv subs have been bitching about. They are mad because these channels like Hdnet movies were part of the origional hd pack and when they spun off the Extra pack they are now included and you have to pay 4.99 more for them.

So either way any price increase for HD will cause problems for those who have HD already. To me we already pay too much for hd already at $20.00 a pack.

That's what I have been afraid of since Scott G. said three hd packs. A third one that cost more than we already pay for HD but includes the hd channels that we have been waiting for. If this is the case, I see a problem.

IT shouldn't cost anymore for the new hd channels than what we already pay for Sci-fi, Usa, Fx, etc. Those deals for the sd version are already negoiated and I don't see how they can charge that much more for the hd version.

Now if you want to spin off the channels that don't have a sd simulcast, like Voom , Hdnet, Universal, Smithsonian, etc into an Extra pack and price them more I could see it. But that too will cause problems . Look at what the Directv subs have been bitching about. They are mad because these channels like Hdnet movies were part of the origional hd pack and when they spun off the Extra pack they are now included and you have to pay 4.99 more for them.

So either way any price increase for HD will cause problems for those who have HD already. To me we already pay too much for hd already at $20.00 a pack.

No matter how they bundle the HD packages or tiers or whatever you call them the bottom line you will be paying more for HD than you are now with the same programming. But like I said in another thread E* will probably add Sci Fi HD or something so the customers will think they are getting some "new" HD to go along with the price increases. It softens the blow a little then.

what to do, what to do?

I really don't know what to do here. I subscribed to Dish as a secondary service to Bright House cable last spring when BHN didn't have much HD. Now BHN has almost all the same stuff in HD, except Voom (and I only watch Monsters HD for the most part anyway). So here I am paying for a duplication of all the same crap with no hope in site of new stuff. They won't announce any plans to add new HD channels with the exception of more locals with the new birds (I don't care about locals as I get them in HD with cable and OTA). This minor price increase is more of a slap in the face. It is a big F-You! Are they trying to lose subscribers? I am not on a contract. Really the only thing holding me back from leaving is laziness. I would have to archive all the movies on my 750 external drive and the stuff on the DVR or lose it all. What crappy options. I have paid out the nose for several months for Dish HD. I should be able to read that external drive on my PC and cancel Dish, but nope, understandably it is encrypted and viewable on my 622 only. I could have bought all those movies on DVD and many more for the price I have spent on Dish.

How frustrating! I wish they would just add a bunch of channels and get me off these boards and in front of the TV. Dish is such a let down.

I agree, if that rumored 3rd pack runs more then the $20 it would make E* even less compedative with D*. As it is the only thing keeping E* compedative is their better DVR's. That is why I believe if their is a 3rd package, it will include all the simulcast HD channels plus, HD Net, HD Net Movies, Universal-HD and HD Theator and any other new HD basic channel's like rumored SciFi, USA, MoJo, Smithsonian etc, except Voom and will be $5 - 7 less then the current Dish HD, with the current Dish HD (perhaps with a new name like HD Max), still running $20. Having 3 tiers with 2 less then $15, makes the most since for competing against D* and cable. Since E* does not have the bandwidth yet to keep up with D* for the total # of HD channels, they can at least have a package that has most of the channels that you would receive with D* for perhaps $1 or 2 less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts