New dish network roof install. questions...

dahauss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
I have a problem getting DISH NETWORK and was wondering if ANYONE can help. I have had an installer come out to tell me some PINE TREES are in the way even when they put the dish on my roof. I live in a connected town house and they tell me if I go two houses back I would be over the trees. I can not put my dish 2 houses back as its not my roof. they also tell me I can get the dish for the HD channels fine but the dish for everything else... Forget it. Is there anything I can do short of getting my trees trimmed? is there a tripod or some way to get the dish over the trees or am I just hosed unless I cut the pine trees??

Thanks....

A tripod *may* work...but a lot of installers can/may/will charge extra for that. It really all depends on how your line-of-site is. If a mast is just barely not making it, then I would opt for the tripod solution

well..

The trees are probably 5-10 feet above the roof line. The installer said I am able to get the high def satellite fine. Just the regular one. how much clearance would a tripod get me above the trees? I asked the installer about a trpod and he told me tripods are ONLY for a super dish and not what I was getting.

dahauss said:
The trees are probably 5-10 feet above the roof line. The installer said I am able to get the high def satellite fine. Just the regular one. how much clearance would a tripod get me above the trees? I asked the installer about a trpod and he told me tripods are ONLY for a super dish and not what I was getting.

You mean putting a tripod on the roof? I suppose you could do that with a 10' mast in the tripod, I'd definately make sure your on a stud/raftor with the tripod. I assume they are talking about the 61.5 for the HD regular stuff, that bird sits higher in the sky.

Possible you may have to use guy wires to help support it.

Question is if ya'll go through with all that effort, how long is it going to be before the trees just grow taller?

As far as how much clearance it would give you, can't say specifically unless I were to see it with my own eyes.

Forget the tripod, two roofs back means at least a 50' tripod, I have the same problem. With my 39 degree angle, I would need an 8' tripod for every 10' feet of roof the dish was relocated from. I'm in the end townhouse and I mounted two dishes on the ground looking under my neighbor's trees and over their neighbor's trees.

hmm

Same here. I am an END townhouse. THere is a common area where we can not mount the dish.. I can mount it in my backyard bon a pole but the dish installer said that would not work either. In any case, I have some people coming out to give me a price to trim my trees low enough. Dish says I need to have them trimmed in line with the roof line...

From experience, a tripod will only give you a couple feet extra, which in your case doesn't quite sound like enough clearance. Now if you use an enev higher mast to get the required height, your risking possible roof damage if not secured correctly into studs. And the higher you go, the more flex you will get in the mast from wind, which is a bad thing in sat installing

Irregardless if a tripod would work or not, my question to the OP is this....did you have a 2nd opinion for this line-of-site issue? Most generally, it's common practice to have another tech come out to verify this. If that hasn't happened, then when said technician shows up, ask about the possibility of tripod mount...or anything else that may make this install happen.

webbydude said:
Irregardless if a tripod would work or not, my question to the OP is this....did you have a 2nd opinion for this line-of-site issue? Most generally, it's common practice to have another tech come out to verify this. If that hasn't happened, then when said technician shows up, ask about the possibility of tripod mount...or anything else that may make this install happen.

Good point. It is common pratice (in this area) to have a 2nd opinion. Some installers are just lazy -- trench a 100' of line? me? oh its NLOS...

On edit: in defense, the install could be a possible repeat trouble call. i.e. the tree line doesn't have much to grow before there is absolutely NLOS.

Last edited:
Everyone is mentioning Tripod mounts.... what about:
1 - Non-Penetrating mount - if your balcony faces the south you may be able to hit a line of sight that way. Simply place it on the balcony and cover with decorations - I know it sounds silly but if you have exhausted all other means...

Where are you located?
2 - Did the installer look for BOTH Satellite systems? Sounds like he may have tried a 1000.4, possible that a 1000.2 may offer a better Line Of Sight??? I carry both setups as does everyone who works for me when they go out.

Something to ask the next Tech that comes out...

Everyone is mentioning Tripod mounts.... what about:
1 - Non-Penetrating mount - if your balcony faces the south you may be able to hit a line of sight that way. Simply place it on the balcony and cover with decorations - I know it sounds silly but if you have exhausted all other means...

Where are you located?
2 - Did the installer look for BOTH Satellite systems? Sounds like he may have tried a 1000.4, possible that a 1000.2 may offer a better Line Of Sight??? I carry both setups as does everyone who works for me when they go out.

Something to ask the next Tech that comes out...

Not sure if you noticed but this thread is 8 years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts