New Dish Network Scam?

tradewinds

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Central Florida
I just received a call from a collection agency claiming they are collecting on behalf of DISH Network for an address I have not lived at for over 5 years. That was the last time I had DISH service and everything was paid up. I have not recieved any notices from DISH Network since then regarding my account much less an outstanding balance, then boom, this call today. Anyone else experiencing this or is it a scam or ID theft?

I just received a call from a collection agency claiming they are collecting on behalf of DISH Network for an address I have not lived at for over 5 years. That was the last time I had DISH service and everything was paid up. I have not recieved any notices from DISH Network since then regarding my account much less an outstanding balance, then boom, this call today. Anyone else experiencing this or is it a scam or ID theft?

Only way to find out is by checkin your credit report. If it is listed there then it is not a scam. most reports are free. see the commercials for the singing guys freecreditreport.com? check it out. I mean u might have a balance and think u paid in full but it has been 5 yrs u could of forgot. ALot of people say I will pay last bill next month and u forget crap happens. if u had a report last year and it was not on then u know and u can just ignore these calls. PEOPLE NEED TO CHECK UR CREDIT REPORT AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR!!!

I do it during tax time so I can be on it like a fish on a hook.

I should have mentioned this in the initial post, but I do have a spotless report and have myfico monitoring on it. I am sure I would have remembered if I didn't pay as it is all sent to my bank where I would have had to act on it.

What did you do with the receivers when you canceled service? Sent back to Dish?

A deactivated receiver can still access the customer service application, and will display current balance, account number and address.

Even if your account is paid in full watch out!!! I live here in Rockford where a few years ago we had a company called CAMCO which tried to collect on debt that never existed or had been wrote off as bad... Needless to say the FTC and a few other groups had them shut down for the practices they were pulling... CC

I would just call Dish back directly in check it out. If it's false you can tell them about being contacted.

see the commercials for the singing guys freecreditreport.com? check it out.

If you really want a free credit report from the three major agencies use

https://www.annualcreditreport.com which is the government backed site.

Freecreditreport.com is just experian trying to take advantage of you.

I looked up the number that called me and the first hit on google returned a forum where someone there was also contacted by this company regarding DISH last month:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-501-7539

BTW - Dish Network should try to contact this company since those past customers who are getting purposely harassed especially those who have left them with a clean slate will never return.

Last edited:
I would just call Dish back directly in check it out. If it's false you can tell them about being contacted.

If you really want a free credit report from the three major agencies use

https://www.annualcreditreport.com which is the government backed site.

Freecreditreport.com is just experian trying to take advantage of you.

CORRECT!! Stay away from the singing pirates or you'll end up with crap you don't want or need.:rolleyes:

Ed

#1 I would never pay a collection agency for a cebt. Always pay the people you owe money to.

Only time I would ever consider paying a collection agency directly if they let you negotiate with them. I owed the Detroit Pistons $6,000 for some advertising I did several years ago that didn't work. The Pistons never invoiced me, and I never paid them.. A few years later I get a call from a collection agency, and was able to settle with them for $2400 after I made them write me a letter stating that the $2400 was payment in full and they would not report it on my credit

#2 Next time they call get an account number that you can call DISH Network to verify the debt

well, as far as I am concerned, this is a scam. I am not sure where they got the info from, maybe a breach of Dish archive system that someone sold some data to these agencies or a hundred other possibilities. I don't intend to waste anymore time on this. Thanks all for your input. I appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)