NEW DISH Pricing as of May 23, 2013

I forgot to include the text of the note I sent to the ceo email address about this when the original proposed fees were disclosed.
I should note that i have not received any response to my email, but I will assume that since the fee proposal has now been rescinded it is acknowledged and addressed.

==========================================

To Whom IT May Concern,

I’ve just learned that Dish is planning to initiate yet another pricing increase in May 2013 that will raise various non-programming related fees, collectively referred to as equipment fees for the remainder of this letter, that customers are required to pay.

From what I’ve been able to gather, the fees that will affect me as a Hopper/Joey customer are below:
• DVR Service Fee: increasing from $10 to $14.
• Hopper Receiver fee: increasing from $7 to $14.

For me this will collectively represent an $11 increase for me on top of the $5 programming fee increase that was initiated just two months ago in February 2013 for the AT200 package, resulting in a total increase of $16.00 for 2013, raising my base charges from $97.99 before tax prior to the February 2013 programming charge increase to a projected $113.99 before tax beginning in May 2013. That $16.00 increase represents a MASSIVE 14% increase for me in 2013!

From a customer standpoint, the scale of this increase is completely unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason to raise the equipment fees when Dish is not representing any real increased cost associated with delivering those services, in particular the DVR Service fee and the Hopper Receiver fee, when the equipment representing those services are already delivered and functioning in the customer’s [my] home. Thus there are no further costs associated with the usage and maintenance of these features that are not already being compensated through the existing fee structure. If new features are the primary driver then I would like to remind you that Dish has not delivered any new features to the original Hopper/Joey systems that were not already available or promised to those customers at the time of delivery of that equipment with the prior fee structure.

With this letter, I would like to lodge an official protest to the proposed equipment fee increase coming in May 2013 and request Dish provide feedback to me on alternative options to reduce the massive bill increase that customers and myself will have to endure as a result of the increase.

I look forward to your response to my concerns on this matter.

Thank you,

I forgot to include the text of the note I sent to the ceo email address about this when the original proposed fees were disclosed.
I should note that i have not received any response to my email, but I will assume that since the fee proposal has now been rescinded it is acknowledged and addressed.

To Whom IT May Concern,

I’ve just learned that Dish is planning to initiate yet another pricing increase in May 2013 that will raise various non-programming related fees, collectively referred to as equipment fees for the remainder of this letter, that customers are required to pay.

From what I’ve been able to gather, the fees that will affect me as a Hopper/Joey customer are below:

For me this will collectively represent an $11 increase for me on top of the $5 programming fee increase that was initiated just two months ago in February 2013 for the AT200 package, resulting in a total increase of $16.00 for 2013, raising my base charges from $97.99 before tax prior to the February 2013 programming charge increase to a projected $113.99 before tax beginning in May 2013. That $16.00 increase represents a MASSIVE 14% increase for me in 2013!

From a customer standpoint, the scale of this increase is completely unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason to raise the equipment fees when Dish is not representing any real increased cost associated with delivering those services, in particular the DVR Service fee and the Hopper Receiver fee, when the equipment representing those services are already delivered and functioning in the customer’s [my] home. Thus there are no further costs associated with the usage and maintenance of these features that are not already being compensated through the existing fee structure. If new features are the primary driver then I would like to remind you that Dish has not delivered any new features to the original Hopper/Joey systems that were not already available or promised to those customers at the time of delivery of that equipment with the prior fee structure.

With this letter, I would like to lodge an official protest to the proposed equipment fee increase coming in May 2013 and request Dish provide feedback to me on alternative options to reduce the massive bill increase that customers and myself will have to endure as a result of the increase.

Thank you,

I myself was not happy with the first announcement of the price increase, but as a customer how do you know how much it cost Dish to do any kind of business. You said "There is absolutely no reason to raise the equipment fees when Dish is not representing any real increased cost associated with delivering those services." Not do sound like a jerk, but how would you know? Fee increases suck but it's not fair to tell some one else how to run their business when we have no idea what it takes to run their business. I guess I'm just going on the faith that Dish does have a legit reason to increase the fees but even if they didn't I have know way of knowing and since it's their business they have the right to. We also have the right to say, see ya later, and switch to another provider.

To Whom IT May Concern,

Thank you,

I understand why you wrote this. Just make sure you don't post anything like this on DBSTALK.

Honestly I kind of get what your saying. I have never understood why the DVR fee goes up? I have a Windows 7 machine and Media center provides great guide info for free. I've also never understood why lease fees go up? If you buy a PS3 today it costs a lot less than it did when it first came out. So I have no idea why Direct, Dish and cable charge out the ass for their receivers. I guess prices for electronics go down for everyone except the Satellite and cable companies. I know the Hopper and HWS just came out and their bad ass so I get that. Now 3 years from now when the fees are up $5 or $6 more I won't understand it.

First you have to understand that there is no 'lease fee' after your initial upfront cost (if any). It is a connection fee because owned or 'leased' you pay the same. D* and E* can call it a ham sandwich if they'd like, but it isn't a lease fee by any definition.

As to why raise the rates? Well, it is partly because they are not growing as fast as they used to and partly because they think they can. Or at least that is the way I look at it when it comes to hardware costs.

Programming costs OTOH are as much or more controlled by the content providers and until the breaking point is reached where you have mass cancellations, they'll keep going up as much as the content providers think the market will bear. :(

I get that too. The thing I always hated about Direct is the fact you have no idea what model DVR your going to get. You pay the upfront costs for a recycled DVR. They do that over and over and over. Plus they charge you the mirror, lease, ham sandwich fee on top of that. They must be making a killing. I still don't get why the DVR fee has to go up? How is it Media Center doesn't charge for it? These are just things I wonder about. lol

I think the DVR fee goes up because it's so labor intensive to keep listings up to date and accurate -- yeah, sure...

BTW, Media Center will have a good and free program guide up until MS decides it doesn't make good business sense and then it will either be gone or no longer free. Reference MSN Direct and Hotmail, et al.

I think the DVR fee goes up because it's so labor intensive to keep listings up to date and accurate -- yeah, sure...

BTW, Media Center will have a good and free program guide up until MS decides it doesn't make good business sense and then it will either be gone or no longer free. Reference MSN Direct and Hotmail, et al.

Aren't they already charging an extra fee to obtain the WMC add-on for Windows 8? I refuse to upgrade as W7 does fine by me.

I hate the high fees too and don't understand why but it drives me nuts when people say that they KNOW it doesn't cost Dish any more. We do not know what Dish, Direct or any company has invested in their product. It's not my place to tell them what something should cost. That's like a customer coming in and telling me I need to sell a TV for a certain price because that's what they want to pay. I tell them my price and they think I'm ripping them off. That customer has no idea what my cost is in that TV. Just a peeve of mine I guess. I don't like hearing others telling a business how to do their job, especially if they are not in business themselves. Mini rant over:D

I hate the high fees too and don't understand why but it drives me nuts when people say that they KNOW it doesn't cost Dish any more. We do not know what Dish, Direct or any company has invested in their product. It's not my place to tell them what something should cost. That's like a customer coming in and telling me I need to sell a TV for a certain price because that's what they want to pay. I tell them my price and they think I'm ripping them off. That customer has no idea what my cost is in that TV. Just a peeve of mine I guess. I don't like hearing others telling a business how to do their job, especially if they are not in business themselves. Mini rant over:D

I agree with you. I just don't understand why electronics all around the world get cheaper except for Cable and Satellite companies. You can get a HWS for $200 so that's cool. If you go the Direct route then you pay top dollar for a recycled DVR. Then you add the lease, mirror and so on fee. They raise these fee's all the time. It's like nothing ever gets cheaper.

I'm not telling anyone how to do anything. It just sucks knowing these fees will keep going up and up and up no matter what. OH well what can do??

I'm not telling anyone how to do anything. It just sucks knowing these fees will keep going up and up and up no matter what. OH well what can do??

Stop feeding the pigs!Eventually they will get the message,they might be out of business first though.

I myself was not happy with the first announcement of the price increase, but as a customer how do you know how much it cost Dish to do any kind of business. You said "There is absolutely no reason to raise the equipment fees when Dish is not representing any real increased cost associated with delivering those services." Not do sound like a jerk, but how would you know? Fee increases suck but it's not fair to tell some one else how to run their business when we have no idea what it takes to run their business. I guess I'm just going on the faith that Dish does have a legit reason to increase the fees but even if they didn't I have know way of knowing and since it's their business they have the right to. We also have the right to say, see ya later, and switch to another provider.

My point in the matter was specifically to stress the total 2013 rate increase incurred and to request a justification of the fee increases. In my statement is noted "There is absolutely no reason to raise the equipment fees when Dish is not representing any real increased cost associated with delivering those services..." in effect I'm asking for that representation. And I'm not telling them how to run their business, on the contrary I'm playing the part of a concerned customer and consumer that is unhappy with the proposed increase in pricing with a lack of a logical explanation for the increase.

Now we can break down those two fees here and look at my understanding and why I took issue with them:

DVR Service Fee: This fee is represented as a fee charged to provide DVR services throughout a home (now lets ignore the fact that years ago, this DVR fee was not assessed at all [pre 510 IRDs], and then they attached a $4 additional fee to all DVR receivers and still later the DVR fee was 'merged' with the additional outlet fees and all DVR IRDs additional outlet fees were increased and then the separate account DVR fee was assessed, effectively allowing Dish to triple the equipment and DVR fees collected over the course of 8 years.. but I digress). While costs associated with this 'service' may have fluctuated, this is a core and embedded function of the equipment upon delivery and thus difficult to ascertain that there could be a significant enough material increase in costs associated with it's delivery but that is precisely what I asked them to justify.

Hopper Additional Receiver: this is represented as the Fee associated with activating another outlet on an additional TV in the home. With this one as well, it is difficult to understand how the cost of maintaining the activation of an individual receiver in an existing customers home could have increased significantly enough to justify doubling the rate (original proposed $14 rate) when the Joey units remain at the $7 rate and effectively perform the same function (purely from an additional outlet standpoint, not an overall functionality standpoint) again, my intent was to get justification of the price increase because from the customer standpoint, the appearance and implication is that it's purely for a cash grab.

At the end of the day, I have accepted that the content costs are going to go up the average 5% because that is a pass through cost from the providers or at least that is what the cable and satellite companies represent those cost increases to be. I just have a much harder time accepting equipment fee increases when it am not able to get a reasonable explaination or justification for those increases. Do I know what their nominal costs are for those products? No. Do I think it is acceptable to double the price for those fees without providing some reasonable reasoning or justification? No.

Personally, I can't just sit back and take these ever increasing charges and fees and the beautiful thing about the free market is I don't have to. I can voice my descent exactly as I did and see if the company concedes or makes some other concession to appease my complaint or I can take my business elsewhere. For now, Dish continues to have my business in part because they continue to treat me fairly well as a customer and addresses my concerns in most cases and in part because I believe they have the best equipment that makes my television viewing experience more enjoyable than their competitors. But cost is a significant factor in that satisfaction level and as my costs for the service continue to go up, my corresponding satisfaction level will decrease.

Last edited:
The only reasoning I can think of for the higher equipment fees is so Dish can make more money without making their packages an outrageous price. I honestly don't think the fees they charge are actually for the equipment or the features they have. I believe it's all just a way to recoup money they need to cover their expenses and the best way to do it is to that is to spread the fees out so it doesn't look as bad. Makes sense to me, I wouldn't sign up for Dish if they were advertising the AT250 for $100 but it looks much more enticing at $40. After I add up all my extra equipment fees I'm up to $100 though.

Stop feeding the pigs!Eventually they will get the message,they might be out of business first though.

I would love to and cut the cord but my need for live sports prevents that. My wife and I are die hard college football fans. We have season tickets for our Buckeyes but we have to have a way to watch the away games. Plus ESPN and ESPN 2 on a Saturday night in the fall is pure heaven!!!

If there was away to watch sports without paying for TV we would do it. Plus my wife loves The Hopper. We don't have to have 2 but it makes it easier and she stays happy. So as of right now its worth the price and convenience. Will that last forever I say no! When the bill gets to high we will cut services. If it gets out of hand(we all know it will soon) then we will say see ya. It's only TV and there is a lot of competition around here with specials all the time.

So confused...All I currently have is one VIP622, and I'm considering replacing it with one Hopper w/Sling.

Do I need to upgrade before 5/23 to have my DVR fee be $10?

Thanks!

So confused...All I currently have is one VIP622, and I'm considering replacing it with one Hopper w/Sling.

Do I need to upgrade before 5/23 to have my DVR fee be $10?

Thanks!

Upgrade before may 22nd. The new pricing takes affect on the 22nd. Equipment must be activated before that date.

Here's a look at the new promotion.

image-2962577247.jpg