NEW DISH Pricing as of May 23, 2013

My interpretation of a "call to arms" is people publicly voicing their concerns, dropping equipment off their accounts, changing programming, canceling upgrades & calling to complain about the upcoming increase.

This site never promoted any of those actions, but did freely give us a place to discuss it. For that I am thankful & just another reason of many to be part of this group. :)

That's what this site is all about. Freedom of speech (within reason.) Here I can just be myself without always having to double-check whether or not I'm going to piss off some mod with a stick up his ass. It is why I will continue to be a contributing member here and will not be spending a dime or posting much at that other place.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Does anyone know or venture to guess at the answer to this question: If I have a 1 hopper, i joey setup and decide after the price hike to add a joey, would my fees go up to the new pricing?
Conversely, if I had two joeys and dropped one, would that affect the grandfathered fees?

Thanks,
Fran

Does anyone know or venture to guess at the answer to this question: If I have a 1 hopper, i joey setup and decide after the price hike to add a joey, would my fees go up to the new pricing?
Conversely, if I had two joeys and dropped one, would that affect the grandfathered fees?

Thanks,
Fran

Two good questions that I would like to know the answer to as well. Would any changes in programming or receivers other than adding Another Hopper after 5/22 affect this grandfather status?

Thanks,
Fran

Based on the chart Scott posted, it seems like the DVR+WH fee (what people are referring to as the first Hopper fee) is set for existing Hopper customers regardless of if they make changes or add another Hopper. However, the fee for the second Hopper would go up to $12 (from the current $7) if one is added after 5/22. It is not clear if changing the number of Joeys will count in that instance. It discusses the change in pricing when adding a Hopper, so by implication changes to Joeys shouldn't impact it. However, since that's not explicitly stated, I don't want to give the impression that I'm 100% sure.

But since you only have one Hopper, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Been long time reader and lurker but had a question....I currently have two hoppers and 4 joeys with one of the hoppers having the "old" attached sling adapter via wireless bridge. Would there be a need or reason to upgrade one of my hoppers to one with the built in sling capabilities and not use the "old" attached sling adaptor? If there was good reason to do that I would just not sure. Thanks ahead of time.

No difference in the Sling capabilities. The only two reasons to upgrade to Hopper w/Sling from a Hopper 2000 would be faster menus and iPad transfers. If you already have wireless and Sling on the Hopper 2000 then the only difference would be that Hopper w/Sling has those built-in.

Yep. Unless you're really hot (or your spouse is) for that iPad transfer feature, I'd suggest sitting this one out.

I wonder how Dish Depot can charge so much less than retail for the Hopper. I think I read that Dish started charging retailers less for the receivers not long ago. Are they charging close to cost and relying on activation fees for their profit? Seems interested that you can own one for the same price that it costs to lease one.

I wonder how Dish Depot can charge so much less than retail for the Hopper. I think I read that Dish started charging retailers less for the receivers not long ago. Are they charging close to cost and relying on activation fees for their profit? Seems interested that you can own one for the same price that it costs to lease one.

Retail for the hopper or hws is $149. Dish depot is selling them for $199 with free shipping. Even if they are drop shipping them, they still aren't making much $. My guess is they have something worked out with dish, either way a person can't beat their price.

Yes, with 2 TVs, you'd have a Hopper and a Joey. The account-level fee of $10 for a Hopper account would still apply, but you would pay an additional $7/mo for the Joey.

Since I don't have a Hopper, the interesting part of this thread to me is I'm going to have to pay 2 bucks more a month to get Red Zone this fall. At least I got multi sport at a half off discount last season.

that really stinks considering they just jacked up the price of that last season. hopefully they will have another 50% deal.

Glad I read this.

I called C/S yesterday, while I have been out of contract for 1 year now but a Dish customer for over 14 years. He was so nice as to give me a Hopper+Hopper w/sling and 4 Joey's for only a $200 upgrade fee! I said Waaaaaaaaaaa????? And asked him to transfer me to customer retention.

After he looked at my records this is what I now have:

1 Hopper w/sling: Free as the first receiver
1 Hopper: $7
4 Joey's: $7 * 4 = $28

They were willing to send the tech today to do the swaps but I have hundreds of hours of programs to transfer so I scheduled for Wednesday. My monthly went up by about $10 but it's because I ordered 4 Joey's to make things simpler vs. composite to RF modulators.

So 6 TV's + more if I want low res modulation. For $35/mo + the DVR fee.

QUESTION: They sent me, a couple months ago, the free sling adapter for my 722K. The 1st Hopper will have sling built in, can I take the sling adapter on the Hopper without Sling and then get 2 the equivalent of 2 hopper each with sling?

Yes.

The old Hopper might be a little slower, and will not have the iPad transfer feature. And there's always the possibility (not high IMHO) that some future app might be released that needs the HWS's extra memory and speed.

You have a good trade off for most.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I only subscribe to multisport for RedZone in the Fall.... the rest of the channels are useless as they blackout anything watchable.

Although I'm still mad that NYC have had all of our regional sports nets taken away with others like YES never added in the first place (All I am missing myself is SNY). I am shocked that DirecTv are not countering those stupid talking TV ads with ads about the channels New Yorkers aren't getting. We pay for regional sport nets like everyone else, but don't receive one that I am aware of (Yes, I realize that we have more than average, but to ignore all of them? I'm surprised the outcry hasn't been bigger). Meanwhile, every ESPN baseball game I try and watch of my teams gets blacked out to make it even worse.

Wouldn't it be a riot if the new promo that starts after the price increase made all of us rushing to upgrade now regret it?

Actually, I figure any promo will be for new custys only.

Does anyone else think it's suspicious that Dish decides to increase the Hopper fees one month before the latest Genie is rumored to be released nationally? I was planning to make a decision this summer to stay with Dish or go DirectTV. It's like Dish is forcing my hand now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts