New DISH skill with Alexa

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
In the Alexa app you can now pick who your TV provider is, DISH is one of them supported. Once picked when you ask Alexa about what is on a network, about a show etc and you will get a specific answer for your provider. You can also ask what channel is a network on. It takes a little time from when you first pick your provider to get some of the answers and sometimes the wording has to be exact. (That is common for a new skill and usually commands become much easier)

If you ask correctly you can find out if a show is new or rerun and what channels the reruns are on. (For instance Friends are in rerun on Nick at Night etc)

In the Alexa APP (I don't believe online) go to settings and TV Schedules.
After seeing this in the settings I also saw some info at the AFTVnews site.

Last edited:
For the Dish app, is it possible to state subchannels? I haven't figured it out yet if it can

For example Alexa, change to channel 10 dash 02 changes just to channel 10.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I can do

Alexa, display the guide

Displays the guide. But once there, there seems to be no further commands possible.

what about 1002?
Tried it. I don't think they built in a feature for this.

If I say Alexa, change to channel 10 "o" 2 it tries to change to channel 1002 (1 thousand 2) which doesnt exist.

No big deal if it can't. Just like to know what it does.

FYI You guys are not talking about anything this thread is about.......Plenty of other threads talk about the DISH app or Alexa controlling the Hopper.

FYI You guys are not talking about anything this thread is about.......Plenty of other threads talk about the DISH app or Alexa controlling the Hopper.
Oh ok. Sorry. I will do a search.

Oh ok. Sorry. I will do a search.

Not earth shattering... lol... It just confuses people because the Alexa setting I described does not control anything, not specific to any receiver...Not associated with the DISH app.

Yeah the last timestamp in the Alexa dish app thread was last year. I can try though.

On your subject, some commands work but I think this is too general and I don't think it should work

Alexa, search for cars

And it does a dish search. So search only works for dish and not the internet? That seems wrong.

What I wish was available was the command tree for any skill. And that might exist but I don't know where.

They did not understand (as well as I) that you were talking about the Alexa app on your phone or other device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts