New DishHD $29.99 HD Only Package Details

I took the plunge and switched from AT200 to Dish HD with locals. It was a breeze. I also made sure that they added the free public interest channels. The CSR had to check with his manager but it didn't take very long. Calling at 5 p.m. usually gets me an American who can actually help me quickly and does things correctly. I'll miss my RSNs but I'm saving a bunch of $$$. They really need to let us add the sport pack. I wanted to pay for it but they wouldn't let me. I got to keep these channels for some reason:

AMC
IFC
Fuse
Hallmark

Those are free preview channels. Those should change periodaclly.

Those are free preview channels. Those should change periodaclly.

Well, that makes sense. I knew it was too good to be true.

Today I called Dish and added Cinnemax for a penny. The CSR was able to do this right away with no complications. Also, I do not have any HD enabling fees and Dish never charged me the $5 to change programming packages from AT200. The change to HD and adding Max may be the smoothest transactions I've ever had with Dish.

Last edited:
So I just read this entire thread to try to determine whether or not all our new HD Channels that are coming "SOON" will be added to the $29.99 Dish HD pack when they go online. I found no good answers. I take it they haven't told us? Does Scott or anyone have a decent answer on where Dish might go with this? Can we expect to get these channels added to our "Dish HD" package if I sign up for this? Or are they more likely to create "Dish HD Diamond" pack with SCifi, FX, USA, etc. added to it and suddenly we gotta "upgrade" to $39.99 a month and make another commitment?

So I just read this entire thread to try to determine whether or not all our new HD Channels that are coming "SOON" will be added to the $29.99 Dish HD pack when they go online. I found no good answers. I take it they haven't told us? Does Scott or anyone have a decent answer on where Dish might go with this? Can we expect to get these channels added to our "Dish HD" package if I sign up for this? Or are they more likely to create "Dish HD Diamond" pack with SCifi, FX, USA, etc. added to it and suddenly we gotta "upgrade" to $39.99 a month and make another commitment?
No one has the definitive answer to that question. Since I don't watch the SD equivalents of any of the "SOON" channels, I made the move, and my bill dropped by $45/month. If they show up in the HD package without a price increase, that's fine. If the price goes up for those few channels, I won't bite, but some will.

And those that do would still save significant money over AT250 + HD Ultimate.

Well I went ahead and did it. Saving $50 a month will do that to a guy I guess... plus the online CSR I just dealt with guaranteed somehow that all the new channels will be added with no price increase. So if nothing else I saved the chat "just in case" I need to reference it in the future: Michael Byers: if I switch to the $29.99 HD Only pack what promises do I have that all the new HD Channels Dish adds over this year when the new satellites go up will be added to this package and my price stays the same? (05-03) Richard B: Ok. (05-03) Richard B: Please give me 2-3 minutes to research this. (05-03) Richard B: No matter how many HD channels we add, the price will stay the same. (05-03) Richard B: Is there anything else I can do for you? Michael Byers: so you're saying that when scifi and fx and usa get added soon they will be added to the HD Only package at $29.99? can i get a guarantee on this? (05-03) Richard B: Yes.

Well I went ahead and did it. Saving $50 a month will do that to a guy I guess... plus the online CSR I just dealt with guaranteed somehow that all the new channels will be added with no price increase.
Just because you DON'T pay more in 2008, you WILL pay more on Feb 1, 2009 if it costs Charlie more to get the extra HD channels

Last edited:
Yes. This package will probably not exist next year. If it does, it will not be for the same price.

Exactly how is this different from ALL other current Dish packages?

Talon Dancer

It includes ALL the HD channels except premiums and RSN's and the associated SD channel, i.e. if it aint HD, it's gone (except for preview channels and public interest).

I would expect that as HD channels are added, they MUST be included in this package.

As soon as SciFi and Nick are up, I'm switched (maybe even without Nick).

It includes ALL the HD channels except premiums and RSN's and the associated SD channel, i.e. if it aint HD, it's gone (except for preview channels and public interest).

I would expect that as HD channels are added, they MUST be included in this package.....
As much as I would like to believe that the dishHD package was immune to the vagaries of other Dish programing packages.... My point was that ALL Dish packages can be changed at any time -- period.

Dish can add/subtract channels, raise/lower prices, rename/realign their program offerings at their sole discretion. Anyone who believes otherwise simply hasn't read and understood their agreement with Dish. We pay the price, they call the tune :cool:

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
Strange, but not surprising, I had a CSR tell me today that I couldn't have DishHD as a stand-alone without an AT programming package (that I already have). :confused:

The most recent reply from an online chat:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]wii_dont_care: Is it possible to switch down to just the DishHD stand-alone pack for $29.99 from my current programing? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](03)Sabrina S: To qualify for that , you should not never have any basic programming on the account.

[/FONT]Suggestions?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

I would also try to get a different rep. Maybe somebody that can actually speak English. "not never"??? really? I had no problem switching from AT250 to HDOnly, I kept Cinemax for a penny etc. He did try to charge me $5 downgrade fee but I said, "well technically this is an UPGRADE in my book" and he said, "okay you dont have to pay the $5."

HD Only package in Denver?

Has anyone in Denver subscribed to this package? A previous post suggested that you get Altitude in HD and I'm looking for confirmation. I assume no Fox Sports RM in HD or SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)