New DishHD Packages to be added February

Status
Please reply by conversation.
sker66 said:
I'm not one who even knew about these "tech chats" with Charlie (Charlie is the CEO, I presume?).
What do you mean "anyone under warranty gets a free upgrade"? Does that mean someone in my situation (bought a 942 less than 3 weeks ago) will get a free upgrade to the 622 when it comes out (in March, April or whatever future month)?
sker66

they said Feb March for the new receivers, but remember this is dish they did not say what year

sker66 said:
dogday,
Have you had any problems with audio sync?
You say they tried to add Voom even though you had no way of receiving it. You can get the current Voom channels...I do with my 942/Dish 1000. That's been part of the frustration...there are a few concert things on the Voom channels that I'd love to watch through my Marantz A/V receiver for a nice, full sound. But I get the bad audio sync problem. Sync is OK with the HDMI input going into my TV, but who wants to watch a Tom Petty concert using the TV's cheesy speakers?

I haven't had any sync problems with my 942. I thought I was having some with my display, but it was only because I had sound on the receiver (optical) at the same time as the display (analog) - not so much sync as phasing.

My 942 has been great which is why I'm disappointed that it will not work with the new channels. I still wish they would figure out a way to add the MPEG-4 abilities to the 942 - seems like a doable situation, even if it means replacing the motherboard. I'd gladly send it in for a board swap.

As for Voom, my frustration was they wouldn't set me up with a Dish 1000. I only have a 500 and the several CSRs I spoke with told me the only option I had was to add a second dish. I knew it wasn't true, but I couldn't convince them otherwise. Next time I guess I'll deal directly with a local installer...

This is pure comedy. This is the text of the e-mail that I sent to "ceoofdishnetwork@echostar.com". My e-mail isn't important, it's the response that is:

Dear Mr. Ergen:

After being a DirecTV customer for over seven years, I switched to Dish Network three weeks ago. Since they are touted as the leader in satellite HD broadcasting, I was excited to make the switch and was looking forward to years of great HD programming. At that time I also decided to lease a Dish 811 and DishPlayer 942 so I could enjoy HD programming throughout my home. Further, after hearing news that Dish was adding five new channels to the Voom HD package, I decided to upgrade yet again. This past weekend I replaced my original Dish 500 with a Dish 1000 so I could receive both the basic Dish HD package and the Voom HD channels.

Unfortunately, today’s press release by Dish Network at the Consumer Electronics Show is extremely disappointing to me and makes me seriously question Dish’s commitment to its current customers. Apparently Dish will begin to broadcast seven new high-definition channels on February 1st …but only in MPEG4. New customers can lease the new MPEG4 equipment at reasonable prices, but there was no mention of upgrade options for existing customers, leaving me speculate that I’ll have to ride out the remainder of my commitment before it’s sensible to upgrade. Since I just got my Dish equipment, I’d suffer quite a long wait before being able to enjoy the new HD content.

I understand the motivation for Dish’s switch to MPEG4. But I cannot understand why Dish doesn’t simulcast the new HD channels in both MPEG2 and MPEG4 to give its existing customer base some time to migrate to the new standard.

Also of concern is the fact that Dish is supposedly raising prices across the board (to include HD programming). This is understandable if new HD programming were made available now. However, as it stands, new customers with MPEG4-capable receivers will receive more HD programming than existing customers with legacy MPEG2 hardware, yet they’ll be paying the same prices because the new programming is only MPEG4!

And I haven’t even mentioned the fact that some of the Voom channels that were once full 1920x1080i have been downgraded to “HD-Lite”, i.e. 1280x1080i! Are there plans afoot to resume programming in full HD?

I feel like I’ve been had. Dish Network got my money, and now they’re leaving me hang out to dry with no viable upgrade path -- unless I want to spend another $300+ to upgrade the hardware that was just installed in my home less than one month ago. I’ve burned my bridges with DirecTV, and they’ve always treated me right. Plus, I get to pay the same prices as new customers for my HD content but I’ll get fewer HD channels. I’m beginning to seriously question my switch to Dish Network. Something stinks.

Maybe I’m jumping the gun, and maybe Dish will do right by its existing customer base. But there was no indication of that in the press release, which usually implies that bad news is on its way.

Please tell me I’m wrong!

And here's the mind-blowing response:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer. DISH Network sincerely regrets that your programming is currently unavailable. Lifetime has imposed unfair rates for their satellite customers which we feel are unreasonable. Until the dispute with Lifetime is resolved, Women’s Entertainment (channel 128) and Encore Love (channel 109) is being offered in all of our basic programming packages.

We continually strive to control costs on behalf of our customers and are hopeful that this dispute will be resolved quickly. Please understand we are not at liberty to discuss negotiation details. Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you.

We have included in the email an open letter that was sent to Lifetime Networks.
Sincerely,
Terry B.
DISH Network
e-Care

I'm glad to know that they value me enough as a customer to send me an automated reply to a question I didn't ask. :(

Schwa,

Helps to send it to his actual e-mail. My response was nothing more than he put out at CES and Scott is holding the lid on until AFTER the chat.

Actual e-mail response

Dear scott,

thank you for your email. We understand your issue and we will have a solution for you . Our first MPEG4 DVR will be the model 622 and wont be available until probably March. We will have to have a Fair upgrade for you. We will make sure it is fair and that you can get the most out of our HD offerings.

We will have more info on next 'chat' on monday jan. 9.

thanks.

Happy new year

charlie

teachsac-

What's his "real" email? I thought I had it but I guess not. I don't intend to use it at this point, but it'd be nice to have for the future. You can PM me if you don't want to post. Thanks!

Where is the "We'll replace all receivers" from last year? Of course that did not say free, but it said ALL and all are not going to buy. I would think that they have to do all current HD subscribers.

Shouldn't the title of this thread here and on the home page read: "Breaking News !!! HD LITE Launch Delayed"

Hoxxx said:
follow this link for offical notice.
300.00 to upgrade my 921 is too much. I spent a grand not even 2 years ago and now I need to spend more No No No
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68854&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=801107&highlight=
That press release just deals with ESPN2 HD, it does not discuss the 921 receiver. I own two 921 receivers that I bought a few months before they released the 942 :mad: . I hope we get some type of upgrade deal, but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Please everyone calm down.... If Charlie publicaly releases what his Dealers already know, everyone and everything will be taken care of....

Get ready for the future...

My question to all of you is why bother upgrading to MPEG4?!?! All you are getting is an additional channel at 720p (ESPN2) the UHD will be downrezzed along with the Vooms. Pay an upgrade, pay a rate hike, pay an HD Pak hike all for HD-LITE crap. No thanks. Comcast is coming tommorow with a dul tuner HD DVR, all for a whopping $0.

Animated,

Scott is at CES. What should lead us to believe your post over his, which tell us that there is no chance for full resolution regardless of MPEG4. Most of us have done this so many times that we aren't willing to take crums of hope anymore. We want the proof in the pudding!! And it just doesn't look like it is going to happen.

I got tired of waiting. Ohhh Charlie Chat is coming there will be news there...nothing. Well wait until CES is coming soon...only bad news there. I am NOT waiting for Charlie chat again. I will read here what happened as I check out my new HD DVR Comcast is putting in tommorow.

Pure and simple, I dont think the upgrade will succeed, the channels they are currently offering going live on Feb 1. are not that spectacular, especially for substandard resolution.

goaliebob99 said:
Satelliteguys.us just learned that Todays lauch of ESPN2 and the remaining VOOM channels have been DELAYED unill Feb 1st. STAY TUNED To our CES forum for more updates as we get it in ;)
So when can we get the new 622 PVR? Any idea of the price?

So it looks like the February Packages will be

Dish AT60 (without locals) = $29.99
Dish AT60 = $34.99
DishHD Bronze = $54.99

Dish AT120 (without locals) = $39.99
Dish AT120 = $44.99
DishHD Silver = $64.99

Dish AT180 (without locals) = $49.99
Dish AT180 = $54.99
DishHD Gold = $74.99

Dish AEP (without locals) = $8?.99
Dish AEP = $8?.99
DishHD Platinum = $104.99

(These will no longer be sold but still be billed to exisiting customers)
Dish HD Pack - $9.99
Voom Networks - $5.00

halsan40 said:
So when can we get the new 622 PVR? Any idea of the price?

The 622 upgrade lease fee for new customers will be $299.99 (if made to exisiting customers it will probably be more

The 211 upgrade fee for new customers is $49.99 (the upgrade price for exisiting customers will probably cost $99.99)

Also note Dish will be like voom when they say markets not in HD from dish will use in off air picture, because at the show dish had a Wingard Square Shooter with "Dish HD" painted on it, so it looks like dish will be installing OTA antennas in February

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)