new dishnet but tv upstairs fuzzy??

maluskeeter

Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I just got a vip622 set for my downstairs HDTV..but my upstairs tv is non-hdtv...downstairs the hd is great and works as is, but for some reason upstairs every channel execpt tbs, tnt, espn (all non hd) are really fuzzy..my locals (non-hd) upstairs are all fuzzy, as if the tv was the problem..

i dont know what happened..im really confused and need help

If the 2nd TV is cable-ready, change the TV2 output to something in the 70's. That will take it out of the OTA broadcast range. Maybe you are picking up some interference from OTA sources.

Hemi,
Not many people have S-video cables run between rooms or in their home distribution system.

I used to have a 622 and never had a problem with the TV2 run over coax and I had it run and then split to 2 rooms which resulted in each run over 100feet. Setup worked great and PQ was much better than one would expect from coax.

Hemi,
Not many people have S-video cables run between rooms or in their home distribution system.

I used to have a 622 and never had a problem with the TV2 run over coax and I had it run and then split to 2 rooms which resulted in each run over 100feet. Setup worked great and PQ was much better than one would expect from coax.
It could still be an option,for those who like options.

my folks had a similar problem, the installer put the 2nd tv on channel 60 for the modulated channel and it was snowy, i changed it to a lower # 25 and it cleared it up.

lower the channel #

If you have choosen a high channel number then the signal drops off faster on the cable run. Use the lowest possible available channel for the area you live in. Say you have stations that broadcast on channels 25 & 30 using 28 will work then that siganl will carry better and be clean.
As far including an S-Video for TV 2 it is worth the extra cost that would be entailed to put in in the sat receiver. There just aren't that many people that would use it and the cost of an S-video demod would be high. You want something like that go buy one and hook it up to the composite outputs that E* supplies on the unit. All S-video does is split the luma & chroma components.

As far including an S-Video for TV 2 it is worth the extra cost that would be entailed to put in in the sat receiver. There just aren't that many people that would use it and the cost of an S-video demod would be high..
Your kidding ,Right? I bought a $37 DVD player from Walmart,That has Composite,S-Video,Component,and HDMI. I doubt highly it cost much of anything to put an S-Video option in a $500 receiver for a tv 2 option.TV 2 option looks just like analog cable,as far as Picture quality. Why not give the option? Or then give me a receiver for every room and I'll hook it up the way I want.

Cable 73 works the best for me. We have too many OTA channels in this area and get too much interference with OTA channels. Just change the channel to CABLE and start with 73.

Its the crappy coax connection that Dish uses to connect to your second tv. Why there isn't a S-video option is beyond me.
Perhaps because S-VHS connections are only good for a few meters? Add the confusion of having to run equally long audio cables and you're money ahead with a second receiver.

Of course we're being forced to assume that the upstairs TV is being driven by the ViP622.

Perhaps the OP can give more details including what the setup is and whether or not they're trying to compare HD channels between the two TVs.

great forum with quick and good responses..thanks all..I changed the tv modulator for tv2 to 25, and it cleared up the issue...upstairs is much clearer than before but not HD, and I heard this clearness is due to down-regulated HD so its alot better..

Last edited by a moderator:
great forum with quick and good responses..thanks all..I changed the tv modulator for tv2 to 25, and it cleared up the issue...upstairs is much clearer than before but not HD, and I heard this clearness is due to down-regulated HD so its alot better..
No Hack talk aloud in these forms. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far including an S-Video for TV 2 it is worth the extra cost that would be entailed to put in in the sat receiver. There just aren't that many people that would use it and the cost of an S-video demod would be high. You want something like that go buy one and hook it up to the composite outputs that E* supplies on the unit. All S-video does is split the luma & chroma components.
An S-video output on TV-2 would be great for the DVD+R that I have. The composite signal just does not push the recorder.

It is too bad that very few recorders take component inputs--it's hard to find even one model at BB. Component or S-video require using TV-1, so you cannot watch the main screen while you are recording for your archive on TV-2.
-Ken

An S-video output on TV-2 would be great for the DVD+R that I have. The composite signal just does not push the recorder.

It is too bad that very few recorders take component inputs--it's hard to find even one model at BB. Component or S-video require using TV-1, so you cannot watch the main screen while you are recording for your archive on TV-2.
-Ken
I went to Radio Shack and got a powered s-video/composite distribution device. It takes composite or s-video input and has 4 sets of outputs. If you input composite video, it can upconvert to S-video output. I used it on my old Dish receiver to distribute the signal to both the TV and DVD-Recorder, a poor man's DVR. I could use input my TV2 composite to it and distribute S-video to both my TV and my DVD-Recorder to record whatever I was watching onto DVD. However, when I upgraded to HD, I got a VIP-622, but if I wanted to record something to watch elsewhere.....

I have the composite/S-video distribution but I have had some problems depending on what is connected. I think one device may bias the others so that the black level changes. Do not expect the S-video output to be any better than what you put in. To feed 2 sets/DVDs/VCRs you may be able to use a Y on each of the 3 legs or a pass-through cable connection. For 3 or 4, this distributor may be better. So in summary this is good to convert 1 S-video to multiple S-video and composite sets or 1-composite to several.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts